5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar LED Bed Lights Install?

Sparcky

Reaction score
2023 Limited 1500 new body. Ordered BAM parts all fit perfect. Unable to get Alfa OBD to connect to body computer. Have bypass harness and OBD Link MX+. Enabled all permissions on Android. Able to connect to bluetooth. Not able to get body computer for My2023 or My2022 DT + to connect in Accessory or Run ignition setting. Anyone have success with a 2023 or will I need to go to dealer to activate? See pics.
Mine is a 2023 Laramie Sport. Had no problems connecting.

BLK_RAM

Reaction score
2023 Limited 1500 new body. Ordered BAM parts all fit perfect. Unable to get Alfa OBD to connect to body computer. Have bypass harness and OBD Link MX+. Enabled all permissions on Android. Able to connect to bluetooth. Not able to get body computer for My2023 or My2022 DT + to connect in Accessory or Run ignition setting. Anyone have success with a 2023 or will I need to go to dealer to activate? See pics.
Were you able to figure out your problem? What permissions were you talking about on android? I am waiting on one of the harnesses to get delivered then I am going to give mine a shot to install. I also have a 23 mine is a Laramie not a limited though.

jmill012

Reaction score
Decided to let me dealer do the install since they have to program it anyway. Appointment is Monday. Funny story they originally quoted me 5 hours because they had to drill through the body. When I told them I didn't do the Mopar retrofit option and showed them the parts, they had a service tech come out. He was intrigued and looked at the parts and quoted me an hour labor. Let's hope it all works out well Monday!

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Decided to let me dealer do the install since they have to program it anyway. Appointment is Monday. Funny story they originally quoted me 5 hours because they had to drill through the body. When I told them I didn't do the Mopar retrofit option and showed them the parts, they had a service tech come out. He was intrigued and looked at the parts and quoted me an hour labor. Let's hope it all works out well Monday!
If they haven't run across that situation yet, they don't know there is the new way to add them. I was at the dealer yesterday, and talking to the write up, they had no idea that the rear window leak had a new extended warranty. They knew about the third brake light, but hadn't come across a rear window, since the extension.

jmill012

Reaction score
Took the dealer 45 mins... probably could have done it myself but an hour labor, I feel it was well worth it. Love them and appreciate whoever found the parts to make it work. Dealer was amazed Mopar doesn't just sell a kit this way.

MN Gopher

Reaction score
Were you able to figure out your problem? What permissions were you talking about on android? I am waiting on one of the harnesses to get delivered then I am going to give mine a shot to install. I also have a 23 mine is a Laramie not a limited though.
Nope. I got all the wiring installed no problem. Tried again today. Cannot get AlfaOBD to connect to body computer through bypass cable + MX+. It connects to bluetooth when MX is connected to bypass cable but fails to connect to body computer. I connected OBD link app and that works fine to clear codes, so it is either the cable or some other issue. Gonna have to bring to dealer unless there is someone around Minneapolis that can give me a hand.

MN Gopher

Reaction score
Nope. I got all the wiring installed no problem. Tried again today. Cannot get AlfaOBD to connect to body computer through bypass cable + MX+. It connects to bluetooth when MX is connected to bypass cable but fails to connect to body computer. I connected OBD link app and that works fine to clear codes, so it is either the cable or some other issue. Gonna have to bring to dealer unless there is someone around Minneapolis that can give me a hand.
Ordered a new bypass from Amazon and now can connect and turned on the three settings and lights work. DO NOT BUY EXCTOOL cable. Ordered this one and it works fine.

AUGOCOM 12+8 Adapter Cable for Chrysler FCA 12 8 Gateway Bypass Cable for Autel Maxisys Universal Connector for Dodge Ram Jeep https://a.co/d/fDiRkv6

mjb765

Reaction score
Excuse me if this has been asked...but do these instructions also work for the 2500's?? Connector location, etc??

Swiftynutz

Reaction score
The benefit is you can buy four parts and not deal with running anything to the front of the truck, pinning wires, etc. Just swap harnesses, plug in the lights, and program. You can do this for any model year.

If you're planning to do this mod, and want an easier way, don't buy the Mopar kit.
Is it pretty self explanatory, once you look under the truck?

Quietpeen

Reaction score
Is it pretty self explanatory, once you look under the truck?
It really is an easy install. Sorry to link to a different forum, but here is a write-up i did on my install with pictures.

Swiftynutz

Reaction score
It really is an easy install. Sorry to link to a different forum, but here is a write-up i did on my install with pictures.

I installed it all, so simple. But I’m using the one genie from infotainment and I got nothing? Any ideas?

mmondich

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the dealer charges to just install everything so I don’t have to do it??

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the dealer charges to just install everything so I don’t have to do it??
That will vary by dealer. I called just to have trailer lights turned on, for a Jeep once. Prices went form $50-$150, from different dealers. Just call and ask, they should tell you over the phone.

Swiftynutz

Reaction score

Swiftynutz

Reaction score
Thank you for the link! Outstanding photos and detail.
So I bought the infotainment obd genie and it did not turn on the bed lights. I’m assuming that’s only for the other OEM kit?

mmondich

Reaction score
I've installed the OEM LED bed kit and used the OBDGenie.
I had to run the harness from the back of the truck, along the frame and through to the firewall and wire into the BCM. It's a very easy process to remove the existing (Dummy)wires and replace with the new LED Bed lights wire. My lights work as if installed from the factory. The programmer takes about 2 minutes and BAM you're done.
It's a factory install and works exactly the same and took me about 1 hour in total. I didn't remove the wheels or the spare tire. Just the wheel liners to run the wires to the BCM.
What kit did you buy? Can you provide a link?

Quietpeen

Reaction score
Thank you for the link! Outstanding photos and detail.
So I bought the infotainment obd genie and it did not turn on the bed lights. I’m assuming that’s only for the other OEM kit?
Yea that I’m not sure on. There might be something different since you have to repin some wires at the BCM. With the other OEM kit.

MarneTpt92

Reaction score
For future reference...

Based on my research, here is a chart of the part numbers for the jumpers and cargo lamps needed to add the OEM setup.

Disclaimer: You should confirm before purchasing.

Hope this helps.

View attachment 150004
This chart is SPOT ON for 2020 Laramie. Only saw a couple 2020’s in this thread so thought I’d add to them. Just ordered and installed part numbers from this and work like a charm!! Only took me 2 hours, programming and all (laptop had to update 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️) I have blind spot monitoring, LED tails, no RamBox and park sense. This 1000000% should be the “kit” Mopar sells. Dude that posted this is a LEGEND! $157 shipped and BOOM, done.

Users who are viewing this thread