5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar LED Bed Lights Install?

WillySwan

Reaction score
I ordered parts from BAM today for my 2022.

Note that the part number for the left side light has been changed from 68312567AB to 68618373AA.

I will report results of my install when complete.

Part Number​
Part Name​
Price​
68312566AB​
Lift-Gate Lamp, Right​
$25.65​
68618373AA​
Lift-Gate Lamp, Left​
$40.14​
68488851AB​
Jumper Wiring, Left​
$40.47​
68523847AA​
Jumper Wiring, Right​
$45.21​

22Ram1500InAR

Reaction score
What do you all do with left over harnesses?

I have a few--LED bed light install, headliner from installing intermittent wipers, tail gate from installing tailgate ajar. The clips are damaged or a few of the clips are broken. Ends and wire are still fine.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Note that the part number for the left side light has been changed from 68312567AB to 68618373AA.

Part Number​
Part Name​
Price​
68312566AB​
Lift-Gate Lamp, Right​
$25.65​
68618373AA​
Lift-Gate Lamp, Left​
$40.14​
68488851AB​
Jumper Wiring, Left​
$40.47​
68523847AA​
Jumper Wiring, Right​
$45.21​
Just knocked this install out myself and can confirm the part number you have listed for the left side light. BAM sent me the same one and everything went smoothly.

IMG_8763.jpeg

Quietpeen

Reaction score
I just ordered the parts for this yesterday. So glad i found this thread because i was going to buy the kit and route the wire up to the bcm. Got an email from Bam that the left jumper 68488851AB is going to take longer because it is a special order from the manufacturer.

WillySwan

Reaction score

Part Number​
Part Name​
Price​
68312566AB​
Lift-Gate Lamp, Right​
$25.65​
68618373AA​
Lift-Gate Lamp, Left​
$40.14​
68488851AB​
Jumper Wiring, Left​
$40.47​
68523847AA​
Jumper Wiring, Right​
$45.21​

Completed the installation this morning on my '22 Rebel. The parts above worked perfectly. As mentioned elsewhere, the left-side (driver's side) is very easy and is a good starting point. I had to deal with zip tied the air lines from my Timber Grove air bag assists on the right-side jumper wire, so I needed to drop the spare tire and take a bit more time on this side. It was still very straight forward. Even without having to deal with the air lines, I would suggest dropping the spare tire to make things more easily accessible for the right-side harness.

As mentioned by many others, programming the following three items with AlfaOBD enabled the lights:
  • CBC Config I/0 Bed Light Switch Input Present - Pin G16: -> Yes
  • CBC Config I/0 Connector F Pin 6: Baggage Compartment Lamps Output Present -> Yes
  • 2014 CBC Config I/0 & FEAT.: Bed Lighting Present - Pin A5: -> Yes

Quietpeen

Reaction score
Completed the installation this morning on my '22 Rebel. The parts above worked perfectly. As mentioned elsewhere, the left-side (driver's side) is very easy and is a good starting point. I had to deal with zip tied the air lines from my Timber Grove air bag assists on the right-side jumper wire, so I needed to drop the spare tire and take a bit more time on this side. It was still very straight forward. Even without having to deal with the air lines, I would suggest dropping the spare tire to make things more easily accessible for the right-side harness.

As mentioned by many others, programming the following three items with AlfaOBD enabled the lights:
  • CBC Config I/0 Bed Light Switch Input Present - Pin G16: -> Yes
  • CBC Config I/0 Connector F Pin 6: Baggage Compartment Lamps Output Present -> Yes
  • 2014 CBC Config I/0 & FEAT.: Bed Lighting Present - Pin A5: -> Yes
I installed mine today also. What was weird on my truck is that the pin 6 setting in alfaobd on my truck was already set to yes.

WillySwan

Reaction score
I installed mine today also. What was weird on my truck is that the pin 6 setting in alfaobd on my truck was already set to yes.
Same thing here.

I first set "CBC Config I/0 Bed Light Switch Input Present - Pin G16: -> Yes". When I went to set "CBC Config I/0 Connector F Pin 6: Baggage Compartment Lamps Output Present -> Yes", I got a notification in AlfaOBD that it was already set to Yes.

Sparcky

Reaction score
Bed lights installed on my 2023 Sport. Took about 30 minutes max to install the lights and wiring. I didn't bother to drop the spare tire.

AlfaODB took a bit to figure out as this was my first time using it.

For the newbies
- Connect the AlfaODB to your truck with a SGW bypass (I also used a bluetooth connection as it was from an android phone). my SGW was under the dash, just above the ODBII connector.
- Under "My Car" pick Dodge Ram
- Under "Select Control Unit" pick your truck year, and if DT (newer body)
- Switch screen to active diagnostics (4th from the left)
- Scroll down to "car configuration settings"
- Bottom of the page "select option" then type in bed, and it will bring up 2 of the parameters to change
- Select one of them, and then select value "YES"
- Click Start, and then NEXT
- repeat for other option
- search "BAGGAGE" and repeat above to change if needed (mine was already set to YES)
- Disconnect

Attachments

• tempImageM2X1b5.png
    tempImageM2X1b5.png
    831 KB · Views: 62
  • tempImageGHx4QQ.png
    tempImageGHx4QQ.png
    1,008 KB · Views: 62
  • tempImagePltXgv.png
    tempImagePltXgv.png
    886.9 KB · Views: 61
  • tempImageTdN65X.png
    tempImageTdN65X.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
Last edited:

JRD

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can use Tazer DT to flash for the lights?

JRD

Reaction score
I just completed this install and activated using AlfaOBD. Everything appears to be working. I followed the chart listed above for my year and trim.

2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Equipment Group Level 1
Tow package
w/o RamBox

1674877341932-png.150004

Parts:

68311431AD left wiring harness
68352421AD right wiring harness
68352421AB Left Cargo Lamp
68312566AB Right Cargo Lamp

The factory install methods is far less complicated than running wire and using zip ties. You need a 10mm socket and pry tool for the clips (or not, seeing as you wont be reusing them).
Just drop the spare tire, push it aside, remove the old harnesses and attach the new ones. The lights came with wiring that drops into the hole for easy connection once you're done.
How long did the install take? If I read this thread correctly we have to run the wires the length of the truck to the battery correct?

Also, the part numbers you listed. Are this the individual parts for everything included in the “factory bed light kit”?

JRD

Reaction score
Thank you sir!

Unrelated, do you know if you can set the mirrors to fold in when the truck is turned off? I saw another thread that it was not an option and that was initially pushing me towards Tazer

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thank you sir!

Unrelated, do you know if you can set the mirrors to fold in when the truck is turned off? I saw another thread that it was not an option and that was initially pushing me towards Tazer

Not with AlfaOBD. You can use the live function on the TazerDT to do it. There's another option too, but I don't remember what it is.

Reactions: JRD

Jako

Reaction score
How long did the install take? If I read this thread correctly we have to run the wires the length of the truck to the battery correct?

Also, the part numbers you listed. Are this the individual parts for everything included in the “factory bed light kit”?
I also have a 2019. The 2019s have the older version harness for the bed lights, don't know when the harness changed. I have no bed lights but I believe from reading you have 2 choices. Change the harness or run the bed light wires the length of the truck. One person on the forum sold his "truck length" version because he opted to change his harness. Attached is the original bed light installation, I agree with changing the harness to the updated version.

Attachments

• Ram Bed Light Installation PDF 82215272AB.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 59

ZFORCE

Reaction score
Believe me, I thought about going that route. I’m an Apple guy so I’d have had to buy an Android tablet, the AlfaOBD license, a security gateway bypass, and the Bluetooth OBD module. All of that would definitely have cost more than what the dealer charged, and I wasn’t sure how much other use I’d have gotten from it. Someday I might break down and get that equipment but for this I decided to go through the dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey there is an app that works with Apple. It’s called Jscan, and I used it to program a new FOB, app was only $20. Since I have been doing lots of mods to my truck, I have AlfaOBD also, using with my wife’s windows based laptop. Turns out I needed both apps, since Alfa does a ton, but you can’t program FOB! Just FYI

JRD

Reaction score
I also have a 2019. The 2019s have the older version harness for the bed lights, don't know when the harness changed. I have no bed lights but I believe from reading you have 2 choices. Change the harness or run the bed light wires the length of the truck. One person on the forum sold his "truck length" version because he opted to change his harness. Attached is the original bed light installation, I agree with changing the harness to the updated version.
Is there a benefit to using the new hiring vs that which is in the 19s? Is it basically a quick disconnect for the lights themselves?

Jako

Reaction score
Is there a benefit to using the new hiring vs that which is in the 19s? Is it basically a quick disconnect for the lights themselves?
Open up the attachment and you will see what is involved with running the wires with a 2019 Ram. You can change the wiring harness in the back to add the bed lights. By adding the wiring harness in the rear all the wiring to the front is eliminated. It is probably somewhere in this thread. Also the member that sold the bed light kit that required running the wires to the front may be in the Buy and Sell section of the forum.

JRD

Reaction score
Open up the attachment and you will see what is involved with running the wires with a 2019 Ram. You can change the wiring harness in the back to add the bed lights. By adding the wiring harness in the rear all the wiring to the front is eliminated. It is probably somewhere in this thread. Also the member that sold the bed light kit that required running the wires to the front may be in the Buy and Sell section of the forum.
Ok I’ve never done an install like this so I wasn’t sure what was eliminated, in the instructions attached it still routed to the front but if it’s easier that’s good enough for me. I looked on factory Mopar and it looks like they’re selling the same PN for 19 & 22 so maybe they discontinued the older wetnesses? I spoke with the guy selling the harness last night and it sold already.

I will definitely be going with the newer style harness if it eliminates wires and is overall easier to install. Thank you for those directions btw I didn’t realize they had such comprehensive directions that actually shows you the best way to route the harness which is nice.

swing4terps

Reaction score
The benefit is you can buy four parts and not deal with running anything to the front of the truck, pinning wires, etc. Just swap harnesses, plug in the lights, and program. You can do this for any model year.

If you're planning to do this mod, and want an easier way, don't buy the Mopar kit.

Users who are viewing this thread