5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar LED Bed Lights Install?

lapoolboy

Reaction score
Is the wire just supposed to hang free like this flopping around? It seems like it should be clipped to the body in a couple more places? PXL_20230314_231619530.jpg

22Ram1500InAR

Reaction score
Here is exactly what I ordered for my 2022 Ram Bighorn Level 1. I have NOT confirmed these work yet, and I will require at least two to three weeks to confirm due to hand surgery. I ordered all parts from BAM Wholesale Parts.

ItemPart #
Lift-Gate Lamp, Right68312566ab
Lift-Gate Lamp, Left68312567ab
Jumper Wiring, Left68488851ab
Jumper Wiring68523847aa
Hello all,

*** UPDATE TO MY EARLIER POST ABOVE ***

I got my LED bed lights activated at the dealership today for $75 (pus some tax). I can now confirm these parts work. Please see my truck model details above and in my signature.

The complete bed light kit that requires the hard work of running the wires to the front and into the cab (and repinning) is $195. I paid $138.75 for the parts shown above and about $13 shipping from BAM Wholesale (plus $75 to activate). All of you with AlfaOBD will avoid the activation cost. I installed everything in about an hour.

Thank you to those pioneers (especially @swing4terps, @vincentw56, @wacopolumbo and others) for your helpful replies, and for taking the time and the real risk in figuring this out for all of us.

Attachments

• F4E03417-06A1-4544-B683-2499261ABF9F.jpeg
    F4E03417-06A1-4544-B683-2499261ABF9F.jpeg
    361.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

palmer64

Reaction score
Good too know👍 have the exact same parts ordered if I ever get em lol. Today will be a month still don’t have them made the mistake I guess of going with mopar parts overstock and they keep telling me one of the jumpers is on back order

lapoolboy

Reaction score
Good too know👍 have the exact same parts ordered if I ever get em lol. Today will be a month still don’t have them made the mistake I guess of going with mopar parts overstock and they keep telling me one of the jumpers is on back order
BAM parts is your friend.....got all my stuff inside of a week.

Murphy5156

Reaction score
I’ve been looking to have the bed lights installed in my 2022 1500 Bighorn. I have reached out to the dealer though as I don’t want to mess with installing it myself. The dealer quoted me $225 for the LED bed light kit itself, and will quote me a labor cost tomorrow once the service advisor has a chance to talk to a service tech about the time this job takes, etc. Can’t wait to get this done as my bed is dark as a cave at night because I have a tonneau cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frisby5

Reaction score
I just want to thank swing4terps and Duane for your help. Installed my led bed lights with the harness terps suggested and they work flawless, just like from factory. No running wires up to cab, just plug and program. Thanks!!
Do you have part#s for this install i have 22 BH no ram box . I like this install better than using mopar light kit.
Edit ! I found them after reading posts

Last edited:

22Ram1500InAR

Reaction score
I’ve been looking to have the bed lights installed in my 2022 1500 Bighorn. I have reached out to the dealer though as I don’t want to mess with installing it myself. The dealer quoted me $225 for the LED bed light kit itself, and will quote me a labor cost tomorrow once the service advisor has a chance to talk to a service tech about the time this job takes, etc. Can’t wait to get this done as my bed is dark as a cave at night because I have a tonneau cover.

Your choice, but if I may…I am not a tinkerer. But this was so easy. Parts were about $150 with shipping and I paid $75 for the dealer to activate. Less than an hour easy install.

For comparison, I had the dealer install my electronic trailer brake controller. I was not comfortable pulling off the center stack.

Last edited:

Murphy5156

Reaction score
Your choice, but if I may…I am not a tinkerer. But this was so easy. Parts were about $150 with shipping and I paid $75 for the dealer to activate. Less than an hour easy install.

For comparison, I had the dealer install my electronic trailer brake controller. I was not comfortable pulling off the center stack.
22Ram1500InAR,

What does the activation by the dealer actually do? Does this make it so the bed lights turn on automatically when you open the tailgate at night or something? I think my prior 2022 1500 Classic Tradesman's (company vehicle) bed light had that functionality. Thanks!

lapoolboy

Reaction score
22Ram1500InAR,

What does the activation by the dealer actually do? Does this make it so the bed lights turn on automatically when you open the tailgate at night or something? I think my prior 2022 1500 Classic Tradesman's (company vehicle) bed light had that functionality. Thanks!
It makes them work at all. The BCM has to be programmed to know the lights are there to operate.

Murphy5156

Reaction score

Update:
The dealer service advisor got back to me. Apparently the dealership isn’t familiar with the jumper option on this install because it sounds like they based their labor quote on running wires to the engine compartment to power the bed lights. She told me it would be about 3 hours worth of labor and then they would need to program the lights. She quoted $580 for just the labor…$225 for the light kit plus $580 labor is $805. I think I’m going to take the advise of others on this thread and purchase the jumper-kit from BAM, install it myself, then take it to the dealer for programming. That’ll save me north of $500 if my math is correct.

If she had quoted a couple hundred bucks for the labor I probably would have had them do it just so I don’t have to do it, but it seems silly to spend $805 on a job others of you have done and say it’s not difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk UI

Murphy5156

Reaction score
I'm not sure... I have the LED's. I don't see why they wouldn't work though, as this harness doesn't connect to the tail lights at all. I think the wiring for the bed lights are running parallel with the tail light wiring in the harness.

When I first looked at this picture, I thought the harness plugged in between the tail lights. These harnesses plug in under the rear of the truck and replaces the harness that is already there... I hope that makes sense...

DuaneMiller,

Could you explain a bit more about where the new harnesses are inserted relative to the tail lights? Do the tail lights plug into the new harnesses? I just ordered the harnesses and bed lights from BAM for my 2022 Bighorn no RamBox. Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Murphy5156

Reaction score
DuaneMiller,

Could you explain a bit more about where the new harnesses are inserted relative to the tail lights? Do the tail lights plug into the new harnesses? I just ordered the harnesses and bed lights from BAM for my 2022 Bighorn no RamBox. Thank you!

Never mind!! A few posts after this one I saw your pictures of the “old” and “new” harnesses. I think it’ll make more sense when I slide under the truck once the parts arrive. Thanks!

22Ram1500InAR

Reaction score
Never mind!! A few posts after this one I saw your pictures of the “old” and “new” harnesses. I think it’ll make more sense when I slide under the truck once the parts arrive. Thanks!

Yes, when I got my parts, I ran them alongside the existing harnesses before disconnecting anything. Do the drivers side first. It’s the easiest.

Oh, on the harness locks. Unclick them then depress slightly to disconnect; don’t just unclick. They should come apart easily. Wear safety goggles as dirt might fall down. I also disconnected my negative battery terminal. Keep the instructions from the bed light kit close by. There are some good tips in the instructions for the actual lights install in the bed.

Last edited:

Murphy5156

Reaction score
Update #2

So, I ordered all the parts from BAM last week and today I received the jumper harness for the LEFT side and the LED light for the RIGHT side. BAM had emailed me last week that the right side harness and the left side LED were currently back ordered. Hopefully not too much longer but for now the wait continues…
3d2863da3d77839028ffd2471b87e5c1.jpg

ER.Nurse

Reaction score
Anyone know the part number of the clips? I’d like to have some on hand in case I break any.

frisby5

Reaction score
I got my bedlight parts and wiring harness in today from the dealer. I installed everything and used Alfa Obd to turn it on, everything works !! Thx for parts info it was so much easier than running wires through the firewall!

Murphy5156

Reaction score
I got my bedlight parts and wiring harness in today from the dealer. I installed everything and used Alfa Obd to turn it on, everything works !! Thx for parts info it was so much easier than running wires through the firewall!

How long did the install take?

frisby5

Reaction score
How long did the install take?

Maybe a hour and i was taking my time drinking coffee : ) . I also installed a Mopar Cab protector i found it on FB market place at a discount brand new.

Attachments

• 20230407_185016.jpg
    20230407_185016.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 50

Users who are viewing this thread