5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar bed light kit tips

razrbk4ever

Reaction score
Super dumb question -
I searched for some details into the bed light kits from mopar on the site here and didn't see much related to my issues I ran into during/after install, so I thought I would post my findings to help anyone avoid the problems I ran into.

Yes, it is a long how to when you look at instructions but to me it wasn't that bad, probably had a couple hours wrapped up in it total install. Steps that could be skipped include removing wheels and dash piece under steering wheel, there's plenty of room to work around both. Honestly the part that took longest was removing and installing wheel liners simply because of so many screws by hand and then working them out/in of the wheel wells. Lights and then running the harness was straight forward and easy.

Issues began at plugging the wires in at the BCM (And just for context I am an auto tech). The instructions I come to find out were wrong, which I questioned as I was installing sprawled out, upside down, in the dark, the first evening we got the truck lol do not follow the picture for C7 connector as it is wrong. I did a double take when I had the connector out because it had the 12 and 24 molded on it for the pin numbers, but against better judgement I thought, no I'll do what it shows. Well come dealer time it wouldn't work and they spent 3 hours figuring out nothing, so I had another appointment this morning and first thing i asked for was pin location diagram for those connectors and sure enough my skepticism was confirmed from my install. So I went out and switched the wires to where they should be. In the daylight today it was much easier to see everything. The pin numbers are also molded on both sides of the connector top and bottom pins (would have been lovely to see the first time around) and at least on a Laramie trim truck there are same color wires in those locations you pull out and tape back.

Anyway, in hope of saving someone else from all this trouble and two dealer trips I wanted to put this out here. I will attach pics of the instruction diagram and the connectors in truck.

Sorry to ask such a dumb question, but my upfitter installed the bed lights and I showed him this thread with the wrong pin locations on the diagram and he said they wired it the way the saw it. I’m headed to the dealer Monday to get it flashed and I know it won’t work. I was going to try and re-wire prior to then, but I have no idea where the BCM is located. Where can I find it? Thanks!

Ewiz

Reaction score
It’s really easy to check. It’s just above your left foot. Undo the appropriate connector, remove the connector cover and verify pin location according to the pictures on this thread

You can also re-pin after flash is done and it will still work fine, so no rush

LaRamie

Reaction score
Super dumb question -

Sorry to ask such a dumb question, but my upfitter installed the bed lights and I showed him this thread with the wrong pin locations on the diagram and he said they wired it the way the saw it. I’m headed to the dealer Monday to get it flashed and I know it won’t work. I was going to try and re-wire prior to then, but I have no idea where the BCM is located. Where can I find it? Thanks!
Like @Ewiz said it is above your foot on the left, it is mounted to the side of the cab just up under the dash. It's pretty easy to see once you lay down to look up in there. Just look for the tan and white and tan and purple wires, they should have pulled those same color wires out to plug in the new harness. Will help narrow it down hopefully. Let us know how it goes or if you need anything else

razrbk4ever

Reaction score
Like @Ewiz said it is above your foot on the left, it is mounted to the side of the cab just up under the dash. It's pretty easy to see once you lay down to look up in there. Just look for the tan and white and tan and purple wires, they should have pulled those same color wires out to plug in the new harness. Will help narrow it down hopefully. Let us know how it goes or if you need anything else

Thanks guys! If they pulled a wire out of the location (the wrong one) do I need to put it back? And if so, which one is it?

Johnvan

Reaction score
In case anyone is price shopping. My Ram dealer did the installation and the total price for parts, labor and NY tax was $265.

LaRamie

Reaction score
Thanks guys! If they pulled a wire out of the location (the wrong one) do I need to put it back? And if so, which one is it?

Yeah, if one is wrong, then the one they pulled will need put back in. I can't remember off the top of my head but it should be taped back with the harness, just put it back in that location

razrbk4ever

Reaction score
Yeah, if one is wrong, then the one they pulled will need put back in. I can't remember off the top of my head but it should be taped back with the harness, just put it back in that location

Thanks so much. As an update: Dealer flashed it (is there a way to confirm it was done?), and they even said they took a stab at moving wires and the lights still didn't work. I looked at the C7 harness, and the wires looked wrong from what everyone has said. I put the Beige/Violet wire into the correct pin location (16), but it looks as though there was already a wire in the "wrong" location (21 now) to begin with. I now have 2 wires taped back (another beige/violet and an orange/yellow), and a blue/white in the "wrong location". Can anyone help me figure out which wire needs to go back into the pin location 21? Here is a pic of C7 (I haven't pulled C1 yet). You can see the two "spare" wires at the upper left.

Any help would be appreciated. I want to make sure I have the wiring absolutely right and confirm the dealer flash before moving on to a pinched wire or something else. I haven't pulled C1 yet either.

Attachments

• IMG_0587.jpg
    IMG_0587.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 86

SB89

Reaction score
In case anyone is price shopping. My Ram dealer did the installation and the total price for parts, labor and NY tax was $265.
What the hell?!?!? Dealer quoted me 160 for the lights and $280 for 2 hours of labor!

razrbk4ever

Reaction score
Thanks so much. As an update: Dealer flashed it (is there a way to confirm it was done?), and they even said they took a stab at moving wires and the lights still didn't work. I looked at the C7 harness, and the wires looked wrong from what everyone has said. I put the Beige/Violet wire into the correct pin location (16), but it looks as though there was already a wire in the "wrong" location (21 now) to begin with. I now have 2 wires taped back (another beige/violet and an orange/yellow), and a blue/white in the "wrong location". Can anyone help me figure out which wire needs to go back into the pin location 21? Here is a pic of C7 (I haven't pulled C1 yet). You can see the two "spare" wires at the upper left.

Any help would be appreciated. I want to make sure I have the wiring absolutely right and confirm the dealer flash before moving on to a pinched wire or something else. I haven't pulled C1 yet either.
Never mind everyone. I pulled the C1 connector and they had it wired wrong also. I move the brown/white wire into the correct slot, and whaddya know, it worked. :) Let there be light!

LaRamie

Reaction score
Never mind everyone. I pulled the C1 connector and they had it wired wrong also. I move the brown/white wire into the correct slot, and whaddya know, it worked. :) Let there be light!
If I get a chance tomorrow I'll see about where wires go if you need to know about the other colors that need to go back in

Ewiz

Reaction score
Is there anyway to wire this up to where they only turn on manually? Every time I open the door the bed light turns on which is retarded

Johnvan

Reaction score
What the hell?!?!? Dealer quoted me 160 for the lights and $280 for 2 hours of labor!
I may have gotten lucky. They told me it was the first time they had done one. I think they underestimated how long it would take.

SB89

Reaction score
I may have gotten lucky. They told me it was the first time they had done one. I think they underestimated how long it would take.
Did that include the flash to get the lights functioning properly?

Johnvan

Reaction score
Did that include the flash to get the lights functioning properly?
Everything included. Dropped the truck off with no bed lights, picked it up a few hours later with functioning mopar bed lights.

t3p_guy

Reaction score
I just did mine on my new Bighorn. It was just time consuming and not difficult. I wired it up per the instructions that came in the kit and the bedlights worked fine when opening the door and using the cargo lamp button. The problem was when I would try to turn them on/off with the push button on the light it would turn on the hazard lights and the hazard light didn't work in the cabin anymore. I found this thread, changed my wiring and voila! it works as designed. Thanks OP for the info!

mahogoff

Reaction score
Is there anyway to wire this up to where they only turn on manually? Every time I open the door the bed light turns on which is retarded
Exactly, there should be a manual switch or a way to install one. This is my biggest pet peeve.

borden72

Reaction score
I searched for some details into the bed light kits from mopar on the site here and didn't see much related to my issues I ran into during/after install, so I thought I would post my findings to help anyone avoid the problems I ran into.

Yes, it is a long how to when you look at instructions but to me it wasn't that bad, probably had a couple hours wrapped up in it total install. Steps that could be skipped include removing wheels and dash piece under steering wheel, there's plenty of room to work around both. Honestly the part that took longest was removing and installing wheel liners simply because of so many screws by hand and then working them out/in of the wheel wells. Lights and then running the harness was straight forward and easy.

Issues began at plugging the wires in at the BCM (And just for context I am an auto tech). The instructions I come to find out were wrong, which I questioned as I was installing sprawled out, upside down, in the dark, the first evening we got the truck lol do not follow the picture for C7 connector as it is wrong. I did a double take when I had the connector out because it had the 12 and 24 molded on it for the pin numbers, but against better judgement I thought, no I'll do what it shows. Well come dealer time it wouldn't work and they spent 3 hours figuring out nothing, so I had another appointment this morning and first thing i asked for was pin location diagram for those connectors and sure enough my skepticism was confirmed from my install. So I went out and switched the wires to where they should be. In the daylight today it was much easier to see everything. The pin numbers are also molded on both sides of the connector top and bottom pins (would have been lovely to see the first time around) and at least on a Laramie trim truck there are same color wires in those locations you pull out and tape back.

Anyway, in hope of saving someone else from all this trouble and two dealer trips I wanted to put this out here. I will attach pics of the instruction diagram and the connectors in truck.
Did you have your BCM flashed for the lights to work?

Dtbrew

Reaction score
Did you have your BCM flashed for the lights to work?

Here is the link to the no-flash option (note that the videos below do not mention the fix to the location of pin 16 on the instructions):

Last edited:

Lungs414

Reaction score
Sub'd having problems had it flashed today and they don't work. Thought it would be a half hour flash was there an hour and he couldn't get it to work. I had to take the truck back had a liner appointment. May need help figuring out. I have a laramie sport and both pin spaces had no wires in them will check tomorrow or friday

Users who are viewing this thread