5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar bed light kit tips

LaRamie

Reaction score
I searched for some details into the bed light kits from mopar on the site here and didn't see much related to my issues I ran into during/after install, so I thought I would post my findings to help anyone avoid the problems I ran into.

Yes, it is a long how to when you look at instructions but to me it wasn't that bad, probably had a couple hours wrapped up in it total install. Steps that could be skipped include removing wheels and dash piece under steering wheel, there's plenty of room to work around both. Honestly the part that took longest was removing and installing wheel liners simply because of so many screws by hand and then working them out/in of the wheel wells. Lights and then running the harness was straight forward and easy.

Issues began at plugging the wires in at the BCM (And just for context I am an auto tech). The instructions I come to find out were wrong, which I questioned as I was installing sprawled out, upside down, in the dark, the first evening we got the truck lol do not follow the picture for C7 connector as it is wrong. I did a double take when I had the connector out because it had the 12 and 24 molded on it for the pin numbers, but against better judgement I thought, no I'll do what it shows. Well come dealer time it wouldn't work and they spent 3 hours figuring out nothing, so I had another appointment this morning and first thing i asked for was pin location diagram for those connectors and sure enough my skepticism was confirmed from my install. So I went out and switched the wires to where they should be. In the daylight today it was much easier to see everything. The pin numbers are also molded on both sides of the connector top and bottom pins (would have been lovely to see the first time around) and at least on a Laramie trim truck there are same color wires in those locations you pull out and tape back.

Anyway, in hope of saving someone else from all this trouble and two dealer trips I wanted to put this out here. I will attach pics of the instruction diagram and the connectors in truck.

Attachments

• 20181016_170730.jpg
    20181016_170730.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 489
  • 20181016_190151.jpg
    20181016_190151.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 495
  • 20181016_190212.jpg
    20181016_190212.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 476

JamMastaJ

Reaction score
I added bed lights to my truck the easiest way possible. I connected the power via trailer connection, I run my bed lights via the aux output on the trailer harness to a toggle switch. The lights can be turned on even without the truck being on via the toggle switch inside the bed. I also run my backup lights off the same trailer harness using the reverse lead.

Attachments

• IMG_1836.JPG
    IMG_1836.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 585
  • IMG_1837.JPG
    IMG_1837.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 594
  • IMG_1838.JPG
    IMG_1838.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 609
  • IMG_1844.JPG
    IMG_1844.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 601
  • IMG_1845.JPG
    IMG_1845.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 589

LaRamie

Reaction score
Yeah, ordered the kit before we signed for the truck assuming wiring was there, didn't really look into it enough. Joined forum post purchase of course lol but it all works all that matters. I like your setup, I didn't like the idea of piggy backing into harness somewhere. If I ever need more light I know how I'll go!

dsoto19646

Reaction score
Thanks so much fellas!!!!! I ran into the same problem trying to figure out why lights wouldn't activate. I triple checked and metered wires to see if there was a break and nothing. dealer was stumped.

John

Reaction score
I added bed lights to my truck the easiest way possible. I connected the power via trailer connection, I run my bed lights via the aux output on the trailer harness to a toggle switch. The lights can be turned on even without the truck being on via the toggle switch inside the bed. I also run my backup lights off the same trailer harness using the reverse lead.
Why not tap into the trailer plug behind the bumper. I think it would look a little cleaner and you could still use the trailer plug as designed!

John

LaRamie

Reaction score
Yeah I wasn't very thrilled with them when I found out the instructions they send in these kits are wrong. It's an easy miss and a chance to screw something up royally. Wish there was a way to get it to them to fix if they haven't already

OuachitaAdventure

Reaction score
So to be clear, this is the mopar bed light kit ad there weren't any connectors behind the plastic pieces in the bed?

LaRamie

Reaction score
So to be clear, this is the molar bed light kit ad there weren't any connectors behind the plastic pieces in the bed?
Yes, the kit comes with a wiring harness you run from back to front. Not hard just time consuming.

OuachitaAdventure

Reaction score
I had read a review of that kit on another site where they said the wiring harness was not needed that there were plugs already behind there and it was a plug and play deal, but that the dealer had to activate them in the PCM.

LaRamie

Reaction score
Unless it was a trim difference Laramie doesn't have it. Maybe limited? I ordered the kit assuming it was there and it's not. And yes they have to put the sales code in the bcm to open up power to them

LaRamie

Reaction score
Plan on 2-3 hours, and do it while its light out lol

OuachitaAdventure

Reaction score
Well, I've already ordered the kit now so I guess I am committed....Just went and checked and no wire behind mine either. Not sure I would have done anything different, but I would have had more realistic expectations.....

LaRamie

Reaction score
Lol It's not that bad to do, they're decent step by steps. Just watch the pin locations is all I ran into. Let me know if it's been changed in the instructions now, be interesting to know.

Cmoar

Reaction score
@ARSPORTSMAN is correct about the plugs in the rear of the truck, at least on my Longhorn. That explains why I didn't see them under the dash. It's right behind the driver's side rear tire mounted to the frame. I also had them installed from the factory, and have the bed package, so I don't know if that's why they are there.

LaRamie

Reaction score
It may be why it's like that. I would be interested to see how it's set up from factory if it's different.

Users who are viewing this thread