5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar bed light kit tips

Cmoar

Reaction score
It may be why it's like that. I would be interested to see how it's set up from factory if it's different.

Sorry for the delay. I was fighting rain all weekend trying to get my rock lights installed. Here are the pics of the bed lights. Both sides look to come down and go directly into a plug. 20181105_162306.jpg 20181105_162333.jpg

LaRamie

Reaction score
Interesting, was laying under ours comparing. Looks like there is another harness (or maybe extra wires) for bed accessory group trucks that plugs in at that big connector in your top pic. Looking at ours there are a lot of wires coming in and not many out, looks like there were two tan wires with right tracer colors coming into it also. So to get this straight the wires are there from bcm to connector, instead of running wiring to that connector we have to run wiring the length of the truck, unplug what's already there to put in the harness they give in the kit. Smh wrong on so many levels..

Cmoar

Reaction score
Ya the small 2 wire connectors, running with the larger tail light wire, is what they plugged into. I ran wires the length of the truck on both sides, and there were no other runs besides the main run on the drivers side. It’s a shame they don’t install and just cap those plugs off for people without them.

grimace

Reaction score
Question for you now that you have these installed, does the button on the bedlight turn them on or does the truck have to be unlocked or something for it to manually be turned other than opening the door or pushing the button in the interior?

I had the dealer put these in when I got the truck but never pushed the button on the light until this weekend only to find that it didn't turn the lights on.

LaRamie

Reaction score
They should, do they come on with button inside or doors opening? They should come on with tailgate open even too, may be a setting to change on radio but I won't swear to that. It should come on though when pressed

LaRamie

Reaction score
Ya the small 2 wire connectors, running with the larger tail light wire, is what they plugged into. I ran wires the length of the truck on both sides, and there were no other runs besides the main run on the drivers side. It’s a shame they don’t install and just cap those plugs off for people without them.
Exactly, that's all it would take. Or simpler yet to unplug that connector and have the pins that add into the connector if they're worried about saving a couple bucks a truck. Why run clear up there when it's right there

John

Reaction score
Like I had said in an earlier post regarding NON LED lights in the Limited 3rd brake light and cargo lights. "A $ here and a $ there adds up over a few hundred thousand trucks"!!

John

Cmoar

Reaction score
Question for you now that you have these installed, does the button on the bedlight turn them on or does the truck have to be unlocked or something for it to manually be turned other than opening the door or pushing the button in the interior?

I had the dealer put these in when I got the truck but never pushed the button on the light until this weekend only to find that it didn't turn the lights on.

I have never tried to see if the trucks locked will the button at the lights work. The button at the lights worked worth my tailgate down(I have a tonneau cover and I need it to see at night), open door, unlock, and dash button turn them on. I will check mine to see if the truck being locked overrides the button in the bed.

LaRamie

Reaction score
Like I had said in an earlier post regarding NON LED lights in the Limited 3rd brake light and cargo lights. "A $ here and a $ there adds up over a few hundred thousand trucks"!!

John
I agree, I know that why it's not pre wired clear to it. But if the wires run stock to the plug on the frame rail there, why not plug there instead of 15-20 feet of wire x2, loom, and tape to the bcm. I'm assuming all trims must not have the wires there otherwise it would probably be like that, just makes me wonder.

Ewiz

Reaction score
19 Ram 1500 Bighorn.. Im having a problem manually tuning on bed light with switch. I replaced the light with the button and lights still dont turn on manually. Everything else works, all lights turn on with remote and doors opening (which is dumb) any idea whey everything seems to work except manual button on light? Dealer didnt know.. Thanks

Cmoar

Reaction score
19 Ram 1500 Bighorn.. Im having a problem manually tuning on bed light with switch. I replaced the light with the button and lights still dont turn on manually. Everything else works, all lights turn on with remote and doors opening (which is dumb) any idea whey everything seems to work except manual button on light? Dealer didnt know.. Thanks

I wonder if @LaRamie was having this problem when he went to the dealership. He’s usually fast to respond.

LaRamie

Reaction score
Sorry, busy day haven't been on. Well, it can't be too much it's only a two wire system.. I had no lights at all initially and have seen where hitting or holding the button for the bedlight would make the hazards flash for someone else and it all boiled down to the pin placement making it act up. Was the kit installed from factory, dealer, or yourself?

Ewiz

Reaction score
Sorry, busy day haven't been on. Well, it can't be too much it's only a two wire system.. I had no lights at all initially and have seen where hitting or holding the button for the bedlight would make the hazards flash for someone else and it all boiled down to the pin placement making it act up. Was the kit installed from factory, dealer, or yourself?

Thank you for the reply, I am familiar with the pin confusion. I installed Beige and White to pin 5 and Beige and Violet to pin 16, I installed it and took some pictures of pin location. I appreciate you feedback !

Attachments

• IMG_1598 2.jpeg
    IMG_1598 2.jpeg
    448.6 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1601.jpeg
    IMG_1601.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1608.jpeg
    IMG_1608.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1609.jpeg
    IMG_1609.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 123

Cmoar

Reaction score
This may be a silly question, but when you went to the dealer did the verify the switch was opening and closing properly, and that the wire had continuity from back to front.

I can't help but think (since you've already accounted for the wrong pin out) you may have a bad connection at a plug, bad switch, or a wire with a break in it.

LaRamie

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply, I am familiar with the pin confusion. I installed Beige and White to pin 5 and Beige and Violet to pin 16, I installed it and took some pictures of pin location. I appreciate you feedback !
Are both wires in the same connector?

LaRamie

Reaction score
From the harness for the lights, the tan and white and tan and purple. Are they in the same connector or separate? From looking at the pics you posted I thought it looked like they're in the same connector

Ewiz

Reaction score
From the harness for the lights, the tan and white and tan and purple. Are they in the same connector or separate? From looking at the pics you posted I thought it looked like they're in the same connector
Ok, sorry. Yes they are in the same connector

Well thank you very much for showing me the snake at my feet! I PUT THE BEIGE AND VILOET IN THE WRONG CONNECTOR! I will relocate to C 7 Thank you very much!!!

Eric

LaRamie

Reaction score
Ok glad it's that simple. Should work fine once switched

Users who are viewing this thread