5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moisture in cab

BilletMotoRam

Reaction score
Recently had a rain storm here in CA, truck sat for a few days after, went to drive it today & the inside of the front window was all wet, headliner was all dry. Anyone else have this problem? Never had any water leaks after washing whatsoever. No sunroof.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
+1 on checking the carpet thoroughly. If you are still under warranty, you might as well make an appointment after you find the affected area so you can start getting it documented.

BilletMotoRam

Reaction score
+1 on checking the carpet thoroughly. If you are still under warranty, you might as well make an appointment after you find the affected area so you can start getting it documented.
Rear passenger side floor, near the back wall is a little damp, I noticed the famous window frame is cracked on both sides of the slider inside, I’m guessing it’s coming through the rear window running down the back wall. Here we go!!! 16,000 miles.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Recently had a rain storm here in CA, truck sat for a few days after, went to drive it today & the inside of the front window was all wet, headliner was all dry. Anyone else have this problem? Never had any water leaks after washing whatsoever. No sunroof.
same issue on my 21 ram 1500 about a month ago. truck less then 1000 miles. came home one Saturday after it had been raining all week (didn't drive truck that week) and noticed the front windshield fogged. carpets weren't wet but the back wall was wet. stuck my hand behind the back wall panel and entire wall was wet. no water on floor. I have since removed the back seats and back wall cover to try and locate a possible leak. hasn't rained much since then and I have been too lazy to water test it. did find a drip on the lower back glass a few days ago after it rained and I got to work, so something is leaking.

• Sad
Reactions: c3k

BilletMotoRam

Reaction score
same issue on my 21 ram 1500 about a month ago. truck less then 1000 miles. came home one Saturday after it had been raining all week (didn't drive truck that week) and noticed the front windshield fogged. carpets weren't wet but the back wall was wet. stuck my hand behind the back wall panel and entire wall was wet. no water on floor. I have since removed the back seats and back wall cover to try and locate a possible leak. hasn't rained much since then and I have been too lazy to water test it. did find a drip on the lower back glass a few days ago after it rained and I got to work, so something is leaking.
Is your window frame cracked on the inside? Seems to be a common problem, I have an appointment to bring it in, hopefully all goes well.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is your window frame cracked on the inside? Seems to be a common problem, I have an appointment to bring it in, hopefully all goes well.
No. Truck only has just over 1000 miles right now. Since that day it has rained multiple times and I never saw the moisture again on the windshield. Only thing I saw was this on the back window when I got to work after it was raining in the morning. Haven’t got around to actually leak testing anything. I took the back wall paneling and the backseat off for easier access. I’m a technician so doing this is not a big deal. I mean it is a big deal in the sense that this is a brand new truck and I had no clue that these trucks had such water leakage issues . I do understand the truck is under warranty but I refuse to let my truck sit at the dealer for weeks and have technicians do crappy work if the issue is something very simple to fix. To me spending $30, $40 or even $50 bucks to fix something is more convenient than weeks down at the dealer. The weather has been real crazy lately so tonight it shows it supposed to rain all night so maybe in the morning I will see something.

Attachments

• 8B445442-73AB-4E06-96C1-A76F2A61FF67.jpeg
    8B445442-73AB-4E06-96C1-A76F2A61FF67.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 554429DD-9FBB-4163-972D-4529B73AF7CB.jpeg
    554429DD-9FBB-4163-972D-4529B73AF7CB.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 91

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I completely missed seeing that you saw the rear frame cracked. wondering if installing a regular window with no frame is an option on this truck? I don't see myself using the rear window ever, wonder if the regular ram rear window is a direct fit.

Last edited:

BilletMotoRam

Reaction score
No. Truck only has just over 1000 miles right now. Since that day it has rained multiple times and I never saw the moisture again on the windshield. Only thing I saw was this on the back window when I got to work after it was raining in the morning. Haven’t got around to actually leak testing anything. I took the back wall paneling and the backseat off for easier access. I’m a technician so doing this is not a big deal. I mean it is a big deal in the sense that this is a brand new truck and I had no clue that these trucks had such water leakage issues . I do understand the truck is under warranty but I refuse to let my truck sit at the dealer for weeks and have technicians do crappy work if the issue is something very simple to fix. To me spending $30, $40 or even $50 bucks to fix something is more convenient than weeks down at the dealer. The weather has been real crazy lately so tonight it shows it supposed to rain all night so maybe in the morning I will see something.
I completely missed seeing that you saw the rear frame cracked. wondering if installing a regular window with no frame is an option on this truck? I don't see myself using the rear window ever, wonder if the regular ram rear window is a direct fit.
If they are going to replace it I’m going to try to get them to put a solid one in it, I never use the slider anyway. I think it will definitely help.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Like you, I am happy to do some work rather than leave it for a week or more. Unlike you, I am not a technician. ;) Great pix, and nice job pulling out all the rear seats for easier access. (About an hour of work to unbolt and pull them?)

I didn't see what year your truck is. I -thought- RAM had pretty much solved the rear window leaks about mid-way through the 2020MY.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I -thought- RAM had pretty much solved the rear window leaks about mid-way through the 2020MY.
I was hoping the same thing, but I've seen reports of cracked window frames and leaks on 2021's recently. I know they changed the design of the window frame, but apparently the new design cracks as well. Here's another thread on this, which mentions 2021's having the problem, in the most recent posts...

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If they are going to replace it I’m going to try to get them to put a solid one in it, I never use the slider anyway. I think it will definitely help.
Warranty will only replace with the same parts. If you want a solid window, you’ll have to pay out of pocket for it. That’s my plan.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like you, I am happy to do some work rather than leave it for a week or more. Unlike you, I am not a technician. ;) Great pix, and nice job pulling out all the rear seats for easier access. (About an hour of work to unbolt and pull them?)

I didn't see what year your truck is. I -thought- RAM had pretty much solved the rear window leaks about mid-way through the 2020MY.
mine is a 21. took about 30 minutes to remove.

BilletMotoRam

Reaction score
soak the top of your truck or go through a car wash , just water jets no brushes and see if it leaks
I wet it all around the “window only” today before I took it to the dealer & water came through on top of passenger side, drove it straight to the dealer & showed them where the frame was cracked & he said they have seen 2 in the last week for the same issue, replacement is 3 weeks out & they have to send pictures to get warranty issued.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wet it all around the “window only” today before I took it to the dealer & water came through on top of passenger side, drove it straight to the dealer & showed them where the frame was cracked & he said they have seen 2 in the last week for the same issue, replacement is 3 weeks out & they have to send pictures to get warranty issued.
I don't like the way FCA warranty operates. why would they have to send pictures to FCA for approval? If it clearly cracked and its a known issue and the truck is under warranty, should be no questions asked. I work for Mercedes, we make all warranty repair decisions in the dealer. Then submit the claims to MBUSA. only time we need approval for warranty work is if the car has a status, then it has to be approved by the factory rep.

BilletMotoRam

Reaction score
I don't like the way FCA warranty operates. why would they have to send pictures to FCA for approval? If it clearly cracked and its a known issue and the truck is under warranty, should be no questions asked. I work for Mercedes, we make all warranty repair decisions in the dealer. Then submit the claims to MBUSA. only time we need approval for warranty work is if the car has a status, then it has to be approved by the factory rep.
100% agree I’m just going to play by the rules to get it fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread