5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mobile Office? Let's Hear Your Thoughts!

Is your Ram truck your mobile office?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello All!

We are finding more and more people are using their trucks to get their work done - especially recently as it seems like people are working from pretty much everywhere.

Select all that apply and feel free to elaborate in the comments! Also, feel free to send in your photos of your mobile office setup.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Whenever I used my trucks in the past as an office, I would sit in the passenger seat because the steering wheel wouldn’t let me set the laptop in front of me and my neck would start hurting pretty quickly when I stuck the laptop on the center console and leaned over to use it. I’m not sure there’s a really good answer for this other than having an airplane-style tray attached to the back of the front seats, or one that slides out from the dash.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Whenever I used my trucks in the past as an office, I would sit in the passenger seat because the steering wheel wouldn’t let me set the laptop in front of me and my neck would start hurting pretty quickly when I stuck the laptop on the center console and leaned over to use it. I’m not sure there’s a really good answer for this other than having an airplane-style tray attached to the back of the front seats, or one that slides out from the dash.
Like this? This pic explains why I voted "No". :LOL:

Airbus 2.JPG

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
Hello All!

We are finding more and more people are using their trucks to get their work done - especially recently as it seems like people are working from pretty much everywhere.

Select all that apply and feel free to elaborate in the comments! Also, feel free to send in your photos of your mobile office setup.
As soon as I get my new truck I'd be happy to. I've desperately missed my mobile office all fall.

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m retired so I really don’t have a dog in this fight but with the knob shifter on the Ram why not add a Ford type console desk?

A desk would be a great addition for working in the cab but for me it would be for eating.

Perhaps two cupholders that pop out at the edge next to your knee for your Big Gulp when parked.

When eating alone I would use the passenger side cup holder.

For bonus points at the top of the desk add two small cups for ketchup and / or Chick-Fli-A sauce.

Add a couple of hooks on the passenger side to hang the plastic bag for trash or crawfish tails.

1634966104809.jpeg

Last edited:

silver billet

Reaction score
This is a great thread. I have two problems I'd like to see fixed, first is a better spot to put my small laptop. Right now its balanced awkwardly on my console and the ole back has to twist too much. Not sure if this problem is even solvable but just throwing it out there.

The one thing that would really help... is a built in cell phone signal booster. I have one in my RV, basically it just takes the LTE/5G connection and boosts the strength so that your cell phone/cell enabled laptop has a stronger signal when using voice and/or data. Something like this, only less ugly and built right into the truck:

Last edited:

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is a great thread. I have two problems I'd like to see fixed, first is a better spot to put my small laptop. Right now its balanced awkwardly on my console and the ole back has to twist too much. Not sure if this problem is even solvable but just throwing it out there.

The one thing that would really help... is a built in cell phone signal booster.
^This. I’m not sure if I explained it well enough, but that’s the same problem I’ve had for years with using a laptop in vehicles.

66Fuelie

Reaction score
I pretty much live in my Ram during the work week, I agree with trying to use a laptop from the drivers seat. We need a flat surface of some type. Another thing is a higher rating on the 110V supply, 400 watts just isn't enough. Sometimes I need to use my small printer in my truck, there isn't enough power to use it if my printer batteries are low. If there were only a way to get faster WiFi setup I would pay premium fee for that.
Tom

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wonder if there's a practical way to make a hideaway desk surface like in college classrooms? Where it would turn upright and tuck between the seat and the center console?

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Wonder if there's a practical way to make a hideaway desk surface like in college classrooms? Where it would turn upright and tuck between the seat and the center console?
Not a desk but a good example of a stowable tray table.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First, it should read, "...if proper accomodations were made."

Next, like the rest said, better surfaces, better power, better data throughput. And, better/more accessible storage for the laptop and other items (papers, pens, etc.) when not in use.

ShortStack

Reaction score
What if you could send laptop output to the 12" Uconnect display and have Android Auto like ability - Apps, keyboard, etc ??
Now that I think about this I may start doing some hacking to see how far I can get.

Users who are viewing this thread