5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mobile Office? Let's Hear Your Thoughts!

Is your Ram truck your mobile office?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
What if you could send laptop output to the 12" Uconnect display and have Android Auto like ability - Apps, keyboard, etc ??
Now that I think about this I may start doing some hacking to see how far I can get.
Now THAT would be really cool!! @RamCares write this one down!!!!! This would be a segment disrupter for sure.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You know, I hate to admit it because I despise the fact that big tech is taking over our lives, but......... Google is pretty good at finding crap. The side mount is nice and permanent for fat bastards like me or idiots who would like to do office work while driving 70mph in traffic.
Car-Laptop-Holder-Best-Deals-Car-Products-Computers-amp-Tablets-Color-Black-Gray-4.jpg 5e8405341201482858efed1b-large.jpg s-l400.jpg 8037_31266_v1.jpg

Reactions: c3k

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
You know, I hate to admit it because I despise the fact that big tech is taking over our lives, but......... Google is pretty good at finding crap. The side mount is nice and permanent for fat bastards like me or idiots who would like to do office work while driving 70mph in traffic.
View attachment 108997 View attachment 108998 View attachment 108999 View attachment 109000
I've used RAM mounts in the past and might put one in the new truck coming. They're well built and flexible. If you use the quick-disconnect tele-pole base you can quickly remove the mount when not needed and hardly anything is left in the truck to be in the way of a passenger's legs and feet.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What if you could send laptop output to the 12" Uconnect display and have Android Auto like ability - Apps, keyboard, etc ??
Now that I think about this I may start doing some hacking to see how far I can get.
That would be perfect for looking at files in vscode

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not a desk but a good example of a stowable tray table.

Actually, that's what I meant. Something like that. So you'd have your laptop (or lunch) right ahead of you. I know you'd have to back the seat up for it to work. Maybe even tilt the wheel up.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Retired, but a place for an espresso machine would be nice.
Years ago, Top Gear (I think?) had a car with a heated windshield wiper reservoir and used it for coffee. Ran a tube from it to the drivers seat. I guess they hit the "spray" button and it squirted in their mouth.

Or, maybe I'm imagining the whole thing. 😆

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
when you are using the car as mobile office, do you keep the engine running?

Nope. There is an opinion floating around that idling causes lifter tick but nobody has proven that, it's all just based on speculation and youtubers + forum threads quoting eachother with no proof. We have reports of new rams with > 1000 IDLE hours, plus 100,000 miles driving, all on factory oil with no lifter tick yet, so if idling causes lifter tick its definitely not the only condition/variable.

But, I just don't like to waste gas. Nor do I want to take the chance that it really does cause tick.

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@RamCares do you have a separate thread for other ideas to improve the product line from us end users?

brenan00

Reaction score
Now THAT would be really cool!! @RamCares write this one down!!!!! This would be a segment disrupter for sure.
Possibly with the Carlinkit MMB, it is basically a android 9 tablet from what I see. If a usb or bluetooth key board and mouse configuration could be hacked/added to the device. You can do email already using the onboard keyboard. Laters

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's a clever idea but do you mean as a second screen/expanded desktop? My laptop screen is larger than the Uconnect screen and oriented in landscape mode, which works better for 99% of my work. I guess you could set the laptop to stay awake when its closed so it could remain stored away, but you'd still have access to everything through the Uconnect screen?

I wondered what if you could mirror your phone screen to the Uconnect, full screen, when parked. Have a 12" phone.

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@RamCares if this is what y’all are thinking for a ”mobile office” desk then mark me down as really really DON’T like.

Perhaps the bucket seat with a full console would work better but from what I’ve seen you are going to have to copy Ford and then improve off of that.

In the video with the bench seat the little pull out tray table is to small and to wobbly.

If I want to eat lunch where do I put my Big Gulp?

If you slice the arm rest in half and then put a great big hinge that runs across where you pull out the tray then you could flip the armrest forward and have a great big flat work surface.

But then that would be just like Ford did.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread