5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Missing MDS

BigDave

Reaction score
Everything I read tells me there is MDS on my 2023 Tradesman hemi. I’ve never heard/felt it kick in, but I just figured it was too subtle for Me.

i just heard it on someone else’s truck,and now I’m sure… mine does NOT have it. Am I losing my mind?

I was gettin* tired of using tow/haul and the upshift limiter every time I got in it. But now I think there is no MDS on my truck. Anybody know for sure?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Everything I read tells me there is MDS on my 2023 Tradesman hemi. I’ve never heard/felt it kick in, but I just figured it was too subtle for Me.

i just heard it on someone else’s truck,and now I’m sure… mine does NOT have it. Am I losing my mind?

I was gettin* tired of using tow/haul and the upshift limiter every time I got in it. But now I think there is no MDS on my truck. Anybody know for sure?

Interesting, as far as I know, all 5th gen RAMs have MDS. I never once noticed MDS until I put my exhaust on, otherwise it was completely seamless to me. There is another way to tell, does your truck have the option to turn on the Eco light in the dash? Its normally off by default, and for 5th gens, it confirms the MDS is on.

If so, you should have the option either in your Uconnect or dash options.

EDIT: Wait, you have a 2500? Well now I have no idea, hopefully someone else can chime in.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score

another reason to post in the heavy duty forum

but no as far as I know, the 2500 does not have mds

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
All 6.4l Hemi BGE engines have MDS.

If you would just happen to have a 2018 or older 5.7l Hemi ...it does not.

But, you say 2023, so 6.4 and MDS.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
You just need to turn the notification light on through Uconnect. You don't notice it if you have stock exhaust with the giant trashcan muffler. It's pretty seamless. If the Eco light did not come on in mine I would never notice.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

So you were purposely trying to disable it, for some reason, but can't even tell when it comes on and off? Why try to keep it off?

silver billet

Reaction score

Unless you bought it used where the previous owner disabled it, then you absolutely do have MDS. Ram did not ship any 6.4 in the 2500 without it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Because of the potential for damage to the motor.
I mean, just starting the engine is potential risk for damaging it. It has been proven MDS is not the cause of lifter failures.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Because of the potential for damage to the motor.

The internet is filled with wild unsupported claims that seem to have no basis in reality. If you don't feel MDS then it's working as intended. If you have an option in your settings to show economy in cluster then you can tell exactly when MDS shuts down cylinders.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is true.
Those that have absolutely no idea how the MDS system works, will blindly debate that the system causes lifter failures.
If we knew what caused lifter failure wouldn't we fix or redesign it? I'm not saying it causes it, I'm saying it's debatable.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If we knew what caused lifter failure wouldn't we fix or redesign it? I'm not saying it causes it, I'm saying it's debatable.

Not if the cost to fix or redesign for the manufacture is greater than the cost to repair the small percent that have the issue. Otherwise, they just wait until the plan to replace most of the motors with something else, like a twin turbo I6.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not that they need to redesign now, since they won’t be used anymore (except in the HD Rams), but if they were to, they can start figuring it out on the same 6.4/6.2/5.7 blocks that don’t use MDS system, which have the exact same lifter failures as the ones that have the MDS system.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
So you were purposely trying to disable it, for some reason, but can't even tell when it comes on and off? Why try to keep it off?
I was asking myself the same question. Only reason I disable it is because I absolutely can tell when it turns on and off because of the aftermarket muffler. If I couldn't tell I'd leave it on and let it do its thing.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was asking myself the same question. Only reason I disable it is because I absolutely can tell when it turns on and off because of the aftermarket muffler. If I couldn't tell I'd leave it on and let it do its thing.
That's how my truck is, I only turned on the ECO light because I didn't think MDS was turning into on, since I couldn't tell. Have to have radio off, and paying attention specifically for it to notice. Even with the Borla

Users who are viewing this thread