5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mishimoto R&D: RAM 1500 5.7L V8 Catch Can Kit

Mishimoto

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

We're really excited to announce that our 2019+ Ram 1500 5.7L Catch Can kit is now on discounted pre-sale. As always, we like to share our R&D process with our customers, so take a look at how we developed this kit below and let us know what you think!

Thanks,
-Steve

We’ve Got It – Catch Can Kit R&D, Part 1: Concept to Completion
NLT_0197.jpg

What is it about a new vehicle that draws people to it? Every car or truck enthusiast can relate to catching a glimpse of a new vehicle from across the parking lot and thinking, “What is that?”. Whatever it is, the new 2019 Dodge Ram 1500 has a lot of it. When we pulled our volunteer 2019 Ram 1500 5.7L into our R&D facility for the first round of catch can development, even our car segment walked out to take a look.

If you own a 2019+ Ram 1500, and you’re like most new vehicle owners, you want to keep that “it factor” for as long as possible. Car washes and interior detailing are a must. But what about under the hood? I’m not talking pressure washing the engine; I mean inside the engine. After all, part of that “it factor” for you is driving your truck. If the outside looks great, but the engine runs rough, that wonder of owning a new vehicle is going to fade quickly.

NLT_0243.jpg
They say that the best offense is a good defense. So, to defend your 2019+ Ram 1500 5.7L from the effects of blow-by and help keep that “it factor” inside and out, we’ve been developing a direct-fit catch can kit.

Like all our catch can kits, this one started with bringing in the truck and planning out our design. The 2019+ Ram 1500 shares the 5.7L Hemi from the 2009-2018 models, but the updated body means that our previous generation catch can kit won’t fit. So we rolled our volunteer 2019 Ram into the shop, popped the hood, and got to work. Our first challenge was to mount the catch can. After that, everything else would fall in place.

NLT_0276.jpg
The engine bay of the Ram only gave us a couple options for mounting the can: the firewall or utilize the radiator and fan shroud. The only available space on the firewall would mount the can very low and make servicing it very difficult. In contrast, the radiator mounting point would place the can in an easily serviceable area and give us a straight shot to the CCV system ports on the engine. That made the radiator the obvious choice.

NLT_0258.jpg
Dan got to work measuring all the components that our can bracket would touch to begin building a prototype. Our bracket will utilize a bolt from the fan shroud to attach to the radiator and an additional hook-shaped bracket will grab another fan shroud mounting point for more stability. A small notch in the top of the bracket will hook onto the top of the fan shroud for even more support. Our fabricator, Mike, cut the bracket out on our waterjet and bent it into shape.

NLT_0306.jpg
With the bracket designed, we could move on to the lines. The relatively straight shot to the engine’s CCV ports from the radiator made designing lines simpler than with many other new vehicles. Some bends and curves to snake around sensors and under the engine cover were all it took to route the lines. A coat of paint on the bracket finished our prototype and we sent the volunteer truck back out into the world for a 1,000-mile road test.

MG_7968.jpg
Meanwhile, we were confident enough in our system that we kicked off production of our sample bracket and lines. It might sound brash, but our catch can kit for the previous generation caught a significant amount of blow-by in 1,000 miles on the same engine. Starting our production sample and our 1,000-mile test at the same time allowed us to bring the truck back in a few weeks later to measure the blow-by in the can and test fit our sample at the same time.

We pulled in the truck, removed our prototype kit and unscrewed the bottom of the can. Our testing was done in the winter, so we expected to see a lot of condensation in the can. Pouring the collected blow-by into a glass beaker revealed a muddy mix of fuel, water, and oil totaling about 40 ml. After letting the mixture settle, we measured about a 50/50 mix of oil and condensation.

MG_7958.jpg
Our catch can works, but how would our sample fit? It only took about 10 minutes to find out. The bracket bolted on without a hitch and sat securely against the radiator and fan shroud. Installing the lines was a simple matter of removing the prototypes and clamping on the production lines. That was it, we were done. Our catch can stops blow-by from entering your engine’s intake, keeps it running like new. And, it fits like it came from the factory. All that’s left is for you to buy it and preserve your Ram’s “it factor.” This 2019+ Ram 1500 5.7L catch can kit is on pre-sale, which is your chance to get it at a deep discount. Check it out on our website and let us know what you think.

MMBCC-RAM-19PBE_1.jpg
Thanks for reading,
-Steve

illucid

Reaction score
They make that sound like they are the first ones to design a catch can for the 2019. I've had my BT catch can for a couple months now and it works awesome and it bolts into the block in the same location as the 4th gens. Not sure why they made it sound like the old location wouldn't work? Either way I highly recommend any catch can as they catch more blow by oil then you would think! 20190104_155912.jpg

Mishimoto

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Could I be the first? You guys literally just posted this lol. If so that would be cool! If not then oh well I'm still looking forward to getting it on the truck haha

You were, congrats! Haha, thanks again!

They make that sound like they are the first ones to design a catch can for the 2019. I've had my BT catch can for a couple months now and it works awesome and it bolts into the block in the same location as the 4th gens. Not sure why they made it sound like the old location wouldn't work? Either way I highly recommend any catch can as they catch more blow by oil then you would think!

Hi Illucid,

We are very aware of the Billet catch cans ;) We prefer not to mount our catch cans to the engine to isolate them from the extra vibration and movement the engine produces. That left us only the firewall and the radiator/fan shroud for mounting our can. The changes to the front end of the 5th gen RAM meant that we weren't able to use our 4th gen bracket, so we needed to design a new one, and of course we wanted to share that R&D with our customers.

Thanks!
-Steve

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just did my pre-order! I have Mishimoto oil catch cans on both my kids Subaru's and the quality is excellent!

Mishimoto

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

Great news! We're running a contest to win one of these catch cans! Even if you've already pre-ordered the kit, go ahead and enter; if you win, we won't charge you for your pre-order. Check it out below!

The contest for this catch can is now over. Thanks to everybody who entered and congrats to the winner!

Thanks!
-Steve

Last edited:

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We prefer not to mount our catch cans to the engine to isolate them from the extra vibration and movement the engine produces.

thanks for thinking out of the box, very nice alternative mounting design.
what vibrations are critical to vapor being separated in a non moving device? i would think the slight vibrations would shake the dew off the inside hose fitting, so to speak. ;)
i am sure the mounting bracket you designed is a tad cheaper to produce vs the BT unit or any other using the engine mounting location, also hose is pennies a foot in bulk.

gr8ridn

Reaction score
Just ordered my kit. I had a BT kit on my 2012 Ram but it had less capacity and no filter like this design. For these reasons alone I like this design. Thanks for designing a superior kit that will provide long term protection well worth the initial purchase price. BTW I enjoyed seeing the initial design process. Good design and quality always wins in my experience.

Mishimoto

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
thanks for thinking out of the box, very nice alternative mounting design.
what vibrations are critical to vapor being separated in a non moving device? i would think the slight vibrations would shake the dew off the inside hose fitting, so to speak. ;)
i am sure the mounting bracket you designed is a tad cheaper to produce vs the BT unit or any other using the engine mounting location, also hose is pennies a foot in bulk.

Thanks! Isolating the can from vibrations isn't so important for separating out vapors as it is for the longevity of the bracket and mounting hardware. If we mounted our can on the engine, every time the engine vibrates the bracket would too. Those vibrations put a lot of stress on the bracket that's supporting a nearly 1-lb chunk of aluminum. Any time the engine yaws under load it puts load on the bracket, and even the thickest bracket is going to bend a little. Each time it bends it work-hardens the material and can eventually crack the bracket. Welded and bent areas are more susceptible to those stresses.

Sometimes there isn't any other option than to mount the can to the engine. In those cases, we make sure to make the bracket as short as possible to keep that lever-arm short; we also gusset it to reduce flex. Of course, failure from vibration would take quite a while, but we warranty our products for life and we'd like them to last that long as well ;)

Just ordered my kit. I had a BT kit on my 2012 Ram but it had less capacity and no filter like this design. For these reasons alone I like this design. Thanks for designing a superior kit that will provide long term protection well worth the initial purchase price. BTW I enjoyed seeing the initial design process. Good design and quality always wins in my experience.

Thank you! It's good to hear that our R&D doesn't go unnoticed!

-Steve

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just wish I could get it close to that price up here in Canada.;)

Nick54

Reaction score
The can I installed on my 2010 Tacoma is equipped with a drain valve similar to the old radiator drain valve. Also has a dipstick, I check it periodically and drain as needed, easy asd clean. Any Ram offerings have the drain valve?

Last edited:

Mishimoto

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Just wish I could get it close to that price up here in Canada.;)

I know a lot of our customers have issues with customs charges when shipping to Canada, however, if you give our customer service a call they can set you up with USPS shipping so that you don't have to pay that extra cost (or at least it's significantly cheaper than UPS customs charge). Or, let me know if you'd like to order and I can get an order setup through CS. You should also enter the giveaway, if you win, we cover shipping (minus customs, but we can probably still specify USPS for you).

The can I installed on my 2010 Tacoma is equipped with a drain valve similar to the old radiator drain valve. Also has a dipstick, I check it periodically and drain as needed, easy asd clean. Any Ram offerings have the drain valve?

Our can does not have a dipstick, but we do offer a drain kit that screws into the bottom of the catch can and makes draining really easy. You can check that out here: https://www.mishimoto.com/compact-baffled-oil-catch-can-petcock-drain-kit.html

Thanks!
-Steve

Last edited:

DonsRam19

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

Great news! We're running a contest to win one of these catch cans! Even if you've already pre-ordered the kit, go ahead and enter; if you win, we won't charge you for your pre-order. Check it out below!

Thanks!
-Steve
Thanks for the info signed right up!!
Hope I win!

ortvk

Reaction score
Do you guys do in shop/local pick up? I'm in Delaware and interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online