5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mid level LEDs - time to modify them!

Reaction score
Allow me to introduce myself........I'm a bit of a headlight weirdo - I run RetroShop (where we make custom headlights). Took a bit, but finally got our set of '19 Ram mid level LEDs in hand.....so its time to get working on them!

I can say......these are some interesting lights! Loads of circuitry, boards, light tubes, etc....can't wait to really dive in with some color changing accents, etc.

On this first set, we are going to keep it simple (as......well, obviously nothing is out yet for them!). We are going to paint these to match my truck (Delmonico / black) and remove the amber reflector and replace with clear corners. The clears arrived at our supplier today (DK Moulds) and should be back to us next week.

Anyway - check out the pics of the lights torn down - can't wait to get them back from paint and clears into these bad boys!

Attachments

• 2018-06-19 16.39.05.jpg
    2018-06-19 16.39.05.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 375
  • 2018-06-19 16.38.55.jpg
    2018-06-19 16.38.55.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 358
  • 2018-06-19 16.38.53.jpg
    2018-06-19 16.38.53.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 352
  • 2018-06-19 16.38.50.jpg
    2018-06-19 16.38.50.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 342
  • 2018-06-19 16.38.48.jpg
    2018-06-19 16.38.48.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 359
  • 2018-06-19 16.38.18.jpg
    2018-06-19 16.38.18.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 402
  • 2018-06-19 15.58.48.jpg
    2018-06-19 15.58.48.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 407
  • 2018-06-19 16.39.13.jpg
    2018-06-19 16.39.13.jpg
    539.5 KB · Views: 385
  • 2018-06-19 16.38.46.jpg
    2018-06-19 16.38.46.jpg
    425.6 KB · Views: 354

cjgerson

Reaction score
Welcome! I’ve seen a lot of your work over the years and it’s always top notch. I’ll definitely be following this thread.

2019Bhorn

Reaction score
I would really like to get the grey part ( inside the housing ) black, to look like the black sport lightd

Reaction score
I would really like to get the grey part ( inside the housing ) black, to look like the black sport lightd

I think we'll get a lot of calls for that......which is great, just a lot of work to get them opened and to a point where we can pull that shroud off of the bezel to paint. It is plastic welded in (not a biggy) - but......yeah, loads of fun there!

warmachine

Reaction score
I’ve bought from retro shop before. Really easy to deal with and super helpful with warranty parts if anyone hasn’t heard of him before.

Reaction score
I’ve bought from retro shop before. Really easy to deal with and super helpful with warranty parts if anyone hasn’t heard of him before.

TY sir!

We've been around for 8 years now, working on these awesome Ram headlights (mostly)!

Reaction score
Looks good! What's something like that cost...ballpark?

I've learned over the years of business.......not to post pricing on social media / forums, etc. Things change, this thread will be here for years - and I wouldn't want to mislead a customer.

Best bet, email me - [email protected] and we can get you a quote. I'm in the process of getting these options on our website soon as well.

skol

Reaction score
I've learned over the years of business.......not to post pricing on social media / forums, etc. Things change, this thread will be here for years - and I wouldn't want to mislead a customer.

Best bet, email me - [email protected] and we can get you a quote. I'm in the process of getting these options on our website soon as well.

So the headlight painting is something you do for a business? If so I’m interested. I will email you at the above posted email

AtmozFear

Reaction score
I noticed this thread was started nearly a year ago, but I had a question in mind. I believe it's something a lot of ram owners with the mid-level LED package have wondered. Over time, have you guys managed to figure out how to make the LED tubes any brighter than the dim factory setting? I love the way they look...just hate how dim they are. To me, they're hardly noticeable when they're on during the day. I'll be in the process of paint matching my truck here soon, and will definitely be in touch with you about the color-matched headlight option, as well. I love how well it flows with the rest of the body! Great work.

I've always been intrigued by custom headlight builds for years. I tried my hand on my current set of lights in my 2012 ram sport, and they came out alright, but your guys work is phenomenal! Keep it up!

Reaction score
I noticed this thread was started nearly a year ago, but I had a question in mind. I believe it's something a lot of ram owners with the mid-level LED package have wondered. Over time, have you guys managed to figure out how to make the LED tubes any brighter than the dim factory setting? I love the way they look...just hate how dim they are. To me, they're hardly noticeable when they're on during the day. I'll be in the process of paint matching my truck here soon, and will definitely be in touch with you about the color-matched headlight option, as well. I love how well it flows with the rest of the body! Great work.

I've always been intrigued by custom headlight builds for years. I tried my hand on my current set of lights in my 2012 ram sport, and they came out alright, but your guys work is phenomenal! Keep it up!

Odd that you ask today..........

Last night I was at my supplier's and I was picking up their first set of RGBW boards for this headlight. It has a brighter white over stock, but.....well, could still be brighter - if they did it in a switchback (white / amber) version. They are working on that, but we'd certainly want it to be MUCH brighter. I'll have the RGBW ones on my truck in the next few weeks here.

And thank you for the kudos - I love what we do!

AtmozFear

Reaction score
Odd that you ask today..........

Last night I was at my supplier's and I was picking up their first set of RGBW boards for this headlight. It has a brighter white over stock, but.....well, could still be brighter - if they did it in a switchback (white / amber) version. They are working on that, but we'd certainly want it to be MUCH brighter. I'll have the RGBW ones on my truck in the next few weeks here.

And thank you for the kudos - I love what we do!

I'm curious to see how it looks with the new RGBW boards, but i'd definitely be interested in a bright switchback option for it.

Diamond Black Hemi

Reaction score
Really hope they come up with a solution for the dim LEDs they drive me crazy can't even tell that they're on when it's bright and sunny outside. Very surprised ram hasn't addressed this the charger and other FCA products have very bright LEDs. I love absolutely everything about my truck except the brightness of the LEDs and I let them know that on my survey I got from ram. Lol

blownout1500

Reaction score
Really hope they come up with a solution for the dim LEDs they drive me crazy can't even tell that they're on when it's bright and sunny outside. Very surprised ram hasn't addressed this the charger and other FCA products have very bright LEDs. I love absolutely everything about my truck except the brightness of the LEDs and I let them know that on my survey I got from ram. Lol
Are you talking about the led headlights? Interesting... the supernova led replacement bulbs I put into my halogen assemblies are currently blinding people lol. Doubt it works but maybe you can upgrade the led bulbs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/