5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michelin vs goodyear

Reaction score
I took off my Goodyear crap tires and installed Michelin Defender LTX M/S and I am very happy. You can not go wrong with Michelin tires and I highly recommend these tires!
SG
What size defender did you put on? Any impact on ride quality? what size rims you runnung?
Thanks

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
SG
What size defender did you put on? Any impact on ride quality? what size rims you runnung?
Thanks
Running 22" OEM rims on my Limited and stock OEM tire size. Ride quality is excellent and wet and dry traction is far better than the Goodyears.

Reaction score
Running 22" OEM rims on my Limited and stock OEM tire size. Ride quality is excellent and wet and dry traction is far better than the Goodyears.
Thanks
Looking to swap to Defenders as well. Probably with a 20 inch rim to gain sidewall, Did you go with an "LT" tire? Thanks again for the reply

Reaction score

Attachments

• 20200720_154930.jpg
    20200720_154930.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 20200720_154936.jpg
    20200720_154936.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 20200720_154951 (1).jpg
    20200720_154951 (1).jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 20200720_161311.jpg
    20200720_161311.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 74

Zoompastu

Reaction score
SG
Thanks for all the help. Fuel Boost 20 inch, 1 Offset Defender 275/60/R20
Looks good! Make sure you have the truck re-calibrated for the 33 inch tires if you have not already. The Michelin’s really are king of the highway tires

Reaction score
As for me, I am VERY pleased with my Michelin's. Very quiet...very smooth...no issues with tracking...excellent on wet and dry pavement and highly rated overall.

Ride quality is virtually same, MAY BE slightly stiffer, but you really have to pay attention to notice. So close it may be an expectation bias... Running 40 lbs...

For my driving style, Michilins are noticably stickier, especially on acceleration (straight line)

Security Guy, didnt I read somewhere you dropped down to 36 lbs??

Zoom, Stock 22 s and Good for a Year tires are 31.9, Michilins are 33, at 70 MPH indicated, you are actually 72 MPH. I did't think that was gross enough to correct...but I am willing to learn! :)

Zoompastu

Reaction score
Zoom, Stock 22 s and Good for a Year tires are 31.9, Michilins are 33, at 70 MPH indicated, you are actually 72 MPH.
You’re right it’s not much of a difference on the speedometer but for the transmission shift points and ABS traction control it is a huge difference. That’s really where you get the benefit of recalibrating. The computers are thinking your wheels are rotating at a faster rate but they’re not because you’ve increased the diameter an inch.
Not trying to twist your arm, just trying to be helpful. I have seen warranty claims denied for powertrain issues because the customer had installed larger diameter tires without proper calibrations. Always best to cover your bases.

There are two ways you can have it done. A dealer technician can make the adjustment using wiTech or you can get the rough country programmer.

Last edited:

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No real input on the question you asked. I've always gone with Michelin but just purchased my first set of Goodyears for my wife's minivan. Apples to Oranges though. They are the Maxlife Assurance tire. Tirerack seems favorable to them.

The reason I'm posting is because I'm a discount tire customer for life. The certificates are the best thing ever. I replaced 3 Michelin Defender tires for free the first yr I had them due to bad road construction. If they ever stop offering the certs I'll look for the best deal but I'm very impressed with them. They do pretty good with their price match as well.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Michelin LTX over the last couple of decades have always made me happy for a street specific tire. Always smooth, comfortable and quiet. Long lasting as well. Cost is a factor, but they are worth every penny.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

daemlar

Reaction score
I was way overdue to change the stock Goodyear tires on mine. Read through this thread and a few comparison reviews before deciding on this Michelin Defenders. I was ready for the pain of the higher price point and scheduled an appointment at Discount Tires. Went in yesterday and they had a set of used with 2,000 miles on them. Opted for the used set ($200 used per vs $267 new). Opted for the certificates with the money saved and got out for just over $1,000.

I was very happy with the service at Discount, and there was a marked handling improvement on the short drive back home in the rain. We’ll see how I feel after a few 1000 miles, but I can guarantee I won’t go Goodyear ever again.
a8c72c9352de905779a4e162b83a86e0.jpg

fcea4fedd90e9d7517470b6863c6ebad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I was way overdue to change the stock Goodyear tires on mine. Read through this thread and a few comparison reviews before deciding on this Michelin Defenders. I was ready for the pain of the higher price point and scheduled an appointment at Discount Tires. Went in yesterday and they had a set of used with 2,000 miles on them. Opted for the used set ($200 used per vs $267 new). Opted for the certificates with the money saved and got out for just over $1,000.

I was very happy with the service at Discount, and there was a marked handling improvement on the short drive back home in the rain. We’ll see how I feel after a few 1000 miles, but I can guarantee I won’t go Goodyear ever again.

Great tires...I am very pleased with mine and FAR better in all regards to the Goodcraps that came with it. Congrats and enjoy the ride my friend!

Users who are viewing this thread