5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mice. G****mn mice.

spyder

Reaction score
Yesterday I noticed some chewed up paper in my center console, and had a Service Auto Start/Stop error when I started the truck. Put a couple of traps on the floorboard overnight, caught mice in each of them.

Hopefully there's no more, and hopefully the error isn't from a chewed wire.

Are there known holes where the little bastards can get into the cab of these trucks or am I just lucky? I'd really prefer not to have thousands of dollars worth of wiring damage happen some time down the road.

RedFred

Reaction score
I'm just curious, how long was your truck parked for and not driven? I always assumed that mice would be a problem after a car was parked for an extended period of time.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm just curious, how long was your truck parked for and not driven? I always assumed that mice would be a problem after a car was parked for an extended period of time.
Mice can go in a single night and cause problem.
It's really random.

OP needs to check where they are getting in. There should be no holes at least to get inside of the cab.
Black silicone works decent at filling small holes

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Check the cabin filter/recirculation door area.

spyder

Reaction score
It may have sat for 2 days? I drive it pretty frequent. 22,000 miles in the first year of owning it.

I'll dig around and see if I can find any way they're getting inside. Less concerned with in the cab than eating wires in the engine compartment though. Electrical gremlins are a nightmare.

RedFred

Reaction score
Also, it's a good idea to buy the outdoor poison bait stations and leave them around the house near where the car is parked to control the mouse population. If they are getting in your truck after being parked for a day or two, who knows what else they are getting into. But it will help protect your house and truck.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Yesterday I noticed some chewed up paper in my center console, and had a Service Auto Start/Stop error when I started the truck. Put a couple of traps on the floorboard overnight, caught mice in each of them.

Hopefully there's no more, and hopefully the error isn't from a chewed wire.

Are there known holes where the little bastards can get into the cab of these trucks or am I just lucky? I'd really prefer not to have thousands of dollars worth of wiring damage happen some time down the road.
this poster claims this works to keep rodents out
click below

Peebs1021

Reaction score
We had a neighborhood cat adopt us a couple of years ago. Haven't seen a mouse since. Neighbors even commented that they haven't seen one since he's been around.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
We had a neighborhood cat adopt us a couple of years ago. Haven't seen a mouse since. Neighbors even commented that they haven't seen one since he's been around.

They are worth the paw prints on your vehicles, best form of mice/rat control.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have caught 10 mice in November alone in my Apartment. There are
still A couple left as they have gotten free from the glue traps with the
place being a little colder now. I picked up some snap traps to put out.

Malodave

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If they are using the truck for shelter, you are screwed. When they are sheltering, they chew up everything to make nests. This is where you may find insultation shredded and wires chewed up, maybe later or until corrosion sets in and ruins lots of things.

If they came in for food that was left in the truck, you may be able to stop it by getting rid of any food and excluding them.

The only way to deal with mice is to exclude them. Try to find any openings and and wrap them with exclusion material. If you can get your smallest finger in the hole, the mice can fit. They make things for this, but you probably want the ones made of copper wool instead of steel wool. And you have to find every opening and block it off with the material. steel wool will rust. Moth balls don't work. Anything that smells bad won't work, or it'll be so bad you won't want to be near it either. The ultrasonic things don't work. Once they are established you have to trap them or poison them. If you have animals ( cats or dogs ) you probably don't want to poison them. If you do use poison make sure you give your animals Vitamin K supplements as that is the antidote and it is safe.

If you place bait or traps or poison DO NOT PUT IT NEAR THE TRUCK. that just makes them use the truck. move it away so they don't associate the truck with food or safety.

My mice go to traps are a large bucket with a can, either aluminum or steel on a coat hanger like a log roll. Coat the can in peanut butter, and give a ramp up to the brim. The can should spin freely so if they reach out to get to it it spins and drops them in. Put a few drops of vegetable oil in the bucket to make it slippery. If you get a mouse, leave it in there. It crying for help will draw more in and they will also get trapped and draw more. Think you have "a mouse" you probably have 10,20 and a dozen pups somewhere.

Sticky traps work, but they learn and will only work a couple times before the mice learn to avoid them.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
My mice go to traps are a large bucket with a can, either aluminum or steel on a coat hanger like a log roll. Coat the can in peanut butter, and give a ramp up to the brim. The can should spin freely so if they reach out to get to it it spins and drops them in. Put a few drops of vegetable oil in the bucket to make it slippery. If you get a mouse, leave it in there. It crying for help will draw more in and they will also get trapped and draw more.
I have a friend who used a similar kind of bucket trap.
It was unreal the amount of mice he caught.

spyder

Reaction score
Killed two in traps on the flooboard the first night, haven't seen one since. Hopefully that's the end of it. I'll keep baiting the traps every day just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread