5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MFT: Yes or no?

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is it worth $1,000?

For those of you that have a MFT, do you have any issues, watertight/dust issues? Other issues/likes. Seems like a good idea but I know it causes issues with tonneau covers. Would you order it again?

For those that have a traditions tailgate do you regret not ordering a MFT?

Thanks

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
First off, that's an emphatic YES it's worth it.

You will have more difficulty sealing it up than a traditional tailgate, so that's something to consider if you need it to be watertight and or dust proof. I don't have that issue so I would definitely order it again.

I had a traditional tailgate on my previous truck (2020 Laramie) and regretted not getting the MFT when my wife bought a truck with one.

In case you can't tell, I'm a big fan of the MFT

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
I agree with @Dontra and @mikeru82 in that I'd never buy a RAM without the RamBox's and/or MFT. I'll be blunt-the truck box on the RAM is NOT well sealed for dust and/or some residual water. I've not spent a ton of time trying to seal it but I think it would take a TON of effort to get it sealed effectively as there are just a lot of places for it to get in there so I don't even try. The RamBoxes are VERY well sealed and I rely on those for items I want to keep clean and dry. I look at the MFT as an awesome access tool into the pickup bed for the bigger stuff that doesn't matter even with a tonneau cover on (for "security" and mileage performance)

I've received a TON of complements from my customers about both options on my previous truck and a lot of them are about as excited about my new one as I am.

These options are just a few more in the totality of what makes the RAM the best overall truck available today even with the new GM twins, Toyota, and F150. Those trucks are all nice too (and interiors are MUCH better than they had), but still don't have the entire package RAM does and still have not reached the overall interior quality, looks, and feel the RAM contains. My 2 cents....

Kaderast

Reaction score
I love my truck, but am kicking myself frequently for not dropping the extra $1000 on the MFT. Doesn't help that I'm a short guy (5'7" with a good pair of boots on) so I feel like it would've been extra helpful accessing things towards the front of the bed.

BmoreStew

Reaction score
lol just posted on a similar thread about the ram boxes… which I can live without, but I do have some major MFT envy. I’d get it, if I was buying again.

that said, I’m a huge fan of my topper/cap, which would work well with the MFT, but there’s some issues with tonneau cover fitment due to the structural brackets that come with the MFT. Folks have seemed to have found ways around that though.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
that said, I’m a huge fan of my topper/cap, which would work well with the MFT, but there’s some issues with tonneau cover fitment due to the structural brackets that come with the MFT. Folks have seemed to have found ways around that though.
This is true for the standard bed, but there is no difference between the rambox bed with or without the MFT. No extra bracing is needed to support the MFT. So you can use any bed cover that works for the rambox bed if you have the fancy tailgate.

Quint

Reaction score
I've got the traditional tailgate. To be honest, I never even saw a truck on the lot with MFT that I looked at. It never crossed my mind, and besides tv commercials, have still never actually seen one. So I guess that ignorance is bliss.

My solution for reaching things in the front of the bed is to use my telescoping ice scraper. I leave it in the bed year round. If I can't reach something, I use the scraper or maybe a fishing net.

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've got the traditional tailgate. To be honest, I never even saw a truck on the lot with MFT that I looked at. It never crossed my mind, and besides tv commercials, have still never actually seen one. So I guess that ignorance is bliss.

My solution for reaching things in the front of the bed is to use my telescoping ice scraper. I leave it in the bed year round. If I can't reach something, I use the scraper or maybe a fishing net.
Yeah I keep a hoe in the back now to reach stuff that slides to the front. (the gardening kind of hoe, before all the smart *** comments start LOL!!)

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When looking for my truck, the MFT was not on my list of options that I had to have, however when I found my truck it was like a little bonus, but I was just like eh whatever until the truck was delivered. I honestly would not own another truck without it, it makes bed access incredibly easy and if you have kids, it is much easier for them to close the tailgate.

In fact, I almost never open the tailgate in the traditional way :ROFLMAO:

So Yes, its is worth every penny!

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The MFT and Ram Boxes were a must with my order. I know they damper payload, but on road trips the Ram Boxes are nice for additional storage and the MFT just makes getting to the back of the bed so much easier. Every year we vacation at my mother in law's beach condo and there is another owner that has a Ram with the MFT. They have 3 kids and when they roll in (usually around the same time we do) it's masterful watching his efficiency. All of their stuff is packed into Rubbermade containers that are slid into the bed of the truck. He just slides them right off onto a luggage cart and away they go. The way they pack, they have much more usable space than we do in our Minivan and with those containers being reasonably tight they have little to worry about with water/dust getting into anything. He is a massive fan of the MFT and after watching him the past 2 years, I wanted one if I bought a Ram.

It takes me forever to get all of our crap out. He's in and out in 1/6th the time as a 1 trip wonder. Granted - their kids are teenagers we have little ones that apparently need everything imaginable at an arms reach at any given time.

ben b

Reaction score
I love my MFT for all the reasons that people above have already enumerated. In fact, I only open the tailgate using the fold down method when I'm using the bed extender.

I was fortunate enough to buy a truck with both the MFT and the RAM Box and love them both. That said, if I had to choose between the RAM Box and the MFT, I would get the RAM Box.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

Even with the MFT, I still use my ice scraper to retrieve small things that may have rolled to the front of the bed LOL. Because even with the MFT I can't reach the front of the bed for that sort of thing. As I already mentioned, I use my bed like a big trunk. The bed divider keeps things from rolling forward (rambox FTW). My favorite thing about the MFT is I don't have to lift items over the tailgate when I'm loading or unloading them. Fairly heavy items like bags of mulch, a bundle or two of shingles, boxes from a Costco shopping trip, camping gear, etc.

Quint

Reaction score
Yeah I keep a hoe in the back now to reach stuff that slides to the front. (the gardening kind of hoe, before all the smart *** comments start LOL!!)
I'm loving the hoe idea. That gets used for maybe one weekend a year in our yard. I guess the remaining 51 weekends will start being spent in my truck bed.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm loving the hoe idea. That gets used for maybe one weekend a year in our yard. I guess the remaining 51 weekends will start being spent in my truck bed.
Ha,
I’m now thinking of putting a hoe in the bed and a winch in the cab.

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
Best $1k I’ve ever spent.

do believe it required BUG in 21, which is another 500 or so depending on trim. May not be the case in 22.

as you mentioned, tonneau cover selection is very limited

Klicht87

Reaction score
I use my MFT more than I thought I would. I hardly ever open it in the normal, drop down mode. I will say I didn't intentionally buy my truck for it or look for it because I didn't think it would be that useful but it really is. Seems to serve a better purpose than the new tailgates on the GMCs.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use my MFT more than I thought I would. I hardly ever open it in the normal, drop down mode. I will say I didn't intentionally buy my truck for it or look for it because I didn't think it would be that useful but it really is. Seems to serve a better purpose than the new tailgates on the GMCs.
I have a coworker with Ford’s tailgate step. For whatever reason I find it comical. Don’t get me wrong, it’s sturdy and functions fine, but the MFT and bed step on the Ram seems more thought out and better implemented.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/