5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MFT Tonneau Cover

RichUT

Reaction score
23e7e5c384a10bb4c7e2e5965bd31a28.jpg

Just installed the extang for the MFT on my Longhorn without Ramboxes. Install was very easy, other than the little bit of effort it took to carve out a small piece of the rail cap so that the rear mounting bracket sat flush on the rail. Looks clean and the seal looks like it’s flush so I’m optimistic that water leaks won’t be an issue.

Mother

Reaction score
23e7e5c384a10bb4c7e2e5965bd31a28.jpg

Just installed the extang for the MFT on my Longhorn without Ramboxes. Install was very easy, other than the little bit of effort it took to carve out a small piece of the rail cap so that the rear mounting bracket sat flush on the rail. Looks clean and the seal looks like it’s flush so I’m optimistic that water leaks won’t be an issue.

Did you peek from the inside at the front corners? Mine has a bit of daylight at each corner where the side rails have caps and the bulkhead doesn't.
20200422_194237.jpg

RichUT

Reaction score
I am sure mine has the same gaps based on looking at it from outside really quick.

Have you had any issues with leaking through those spots? I am betting it would be possible to fashion something that could go in the corners that would help close those up.

Mother

Reaction score
I am sure mine has the same gaps based on looking at it from outside really quick.

Have you had any issues with leaking through those spots? I am betting it would be possible to fashion something that could go in the corners that would help close those up.

I'm sure some weatherstripping on the front rail would take care of the issue. I just haven't made time to mess with it yet. It definitely does leak, but I haven't been checking it to see how much.

Edit-> I also think some of the light is coming under the side rail cap where it doesn't quite sit flush on the sheet metal. So it might need some weatherstripping or silicone under it as well if you really want to make it waterproof.

fjetb

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Longhorn, no ramboxes, but with the MFT. I installed the Retraxpro XR. I, also, got the brackets from Rightonbrackets. I have the 3/8th inch thick X 2.5" wide brackets. Everything fit perfect. I also have a Dualliner bedliner on the inside. I've had no leaks.

Jbertoch

Reaction score
I have the MFT with no rambox, replaced the factory brackets with ones from rightonbracket.com and installed a Retrax MX pro.
It fits perfectly and no leaks even though it sits outside in Seattle weather.
View attachment 41492
Did you have the brackets custom made? Do you have any more details or specs you can share? Still working well for you?

fjetb

Reaction score
Here are some pics: 2020 Longhorn w/MFT, w/o Rambox, with dualliner bed liner: 2020 Ram tailgate tonneau.jpg
No leaks, yet, and, we've had non-stop rain in the NC mountains...even around the tailgate has stayed mostly dry with only a few drops...

Attachments

• 2020 Ram passinger quarter tonneau.jpg
    2020 Ram passinger quarter tonneau.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 2020 Ram driver tonneau.jpg
    2020 Ram driver tonneau.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

Rambler

Reaction score
I have the MFT with no rambox, replaced the factory brackets with ones from rightonbracket.com and installed a Retrax MX pro.
It fits perfectly and no leaks even though it sits outside in Seattle weather.
View attachment 41492
I ordered the Righton brackets and they fit fine but bed cover shops here (Huntington Beach, CA) think modifications on cover's rails will still be needed and won't attempt. I'm looking at Bakflip MX4 but believe the rail systems are similar. Can you provide more detail on your installation?

Newski32

Reaction score
I have the Laramie sport, crew cab, 5'7'' with MFT, no boxes. I am still trying to figure out what mid-level cover works. Does anyone know if the Gator FX3 or any of the Extang covers work? I have read through every thread above and haven't seen the answer...

Rambunktious

Reaction score
I have the Laramie sport, crew cab, 5'7'' with MFT, no boxes. I am still trying to figure out what mid-level cover works. Does anyone know if the Gator FX3 or any of the Extang covers work? I have read through every thread above and haven't seen the answer...
Post #21 at the top of this page shows an Extang installed on a Longhorn without Ramboxes but with MFT.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I went with the Access roll up.. Very nice and specifically made for MFT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score

I posted HERE about these covers. Got my Extang Xceed on using the RightOnBrackets. Have some pics of my install in the link. To anyone else who's got similar questions, best way I can break it down is, at the end of the day is whether you're going with a low profile cover or a tractable one, if you have a RAM w/o RAMBox but w/MFT, your only options (that I've seen/heard of) is to replace the factory brackets. I can't speak to any covers that sit on the bulkheads rather than have rails that need to be flush but from what I have seen from other members most (if not all) of them work. As well as almost any Roll-Ups. But don't quote me on that.

Low profile tonneaus I've seen FOR SURE work, are Extang Xceed, Gator FX3, and BAKFlip MX4. Any similar tonneau should work. As well, Retrax or any similar retractable covers. All of these might take some finesse to work properly. There really isn't a plug and play tonneau for our trucks out there.

P.S. Not affiliated with RightOn in any way, just wanted to share the link I used to get mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/