5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MFT Tonneau Cover

Snaps

Reaction score
What are my options for an out of the box hard tonneau cover with the MFT (no rambox)?

LouCap

Reaction score
Gator Hybrid works for me. I haven't heard of any others working without removing the brackets at the front of the bed.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Snaps

Reaction score
Gator Hybrid works for me. I haven't heard of any others working without removing the brackets at the front of the bed.

Damn. I want a trifold so that doesn't work for me.

LouCap

Reaction score
Damn. I want a trifold so that doesn't work for me.

It is a trifold, it just doesn't fold all the way up behind the rear window. Unfortunately, with the MFT, our options are limited.

Snaps

Reaction score
It is a trifold, it just doesn't fold all the way up behind the rear window. Unfortunately, with the MFT, our options are limited.
Ah I see. So would it be safe to assume that their other covers would work? I don't want the soft cover look.

LouCap

Reaction score
Ah I see. So would it be safe to assume that their other covers would work? I don't want the soft cover look.

That I don't know. The problem with most covers is that their frame needed to run inside the bed rails and the brackets at the front block them. That's why I went with the Hybrid because it sits on top of the bedrails. They do make another hard tonneau called the Tailback which looks like it might work. When I got my cover they said I could try it, and if it didn't fit, send it back. no one else was going to let me do that, so they got my business.

Snaps

Reaction score
That I don't know. The problem with most covers is that their frame needed to run inside the bed rails and the brackets at the front block them. That's why I went with the Hybrid because it sits on top of the bedrails. They do make another hard tonneau called the Tailback which looks like it might work. When I got my cover they said I could try it, and if it didn't fit, send it back. no one else was going to let me do that, so they got my business.
Yeah I watched the install videos and it does seem like the Tailback will work too, but I think I'm gonna hold out until these companies have a solution for the flush covers. Thanks for the advice.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
I am having some custom brackets built, which another member here did. They are 3/8" steel and supposedly topper rails will clear them.

LouCap

Reaction score
Yeah I watched the install videos and it does seem like the Tailback will work too, but I think I'm gonna hold out until these companies have a solution for the flush covers. Thanks for the advice.
The only reason I didn't go with the Tailback is that I have the BUG (Bed Utility Group) too, and it looked like the rails for the tie downs would prevent the rear clamps by the MFT from being able to function properly.

Pepper

Reaction score
Retrax Pro MX on my rig. Sits perfectly, no issues, works like butter and no water issues.

Bozknight55

Reaction score
Just installed the Retrax Mx pro. Like the cover but many gaps with the MFT. Where the gate meets the Ram box is a huge space not covered. The cover itself interferes with the complete opening of the Ramboxes.
I need to maybe refine the fit but really not much wiggle room overall.
Would love to see pictures of other installs to see if I’m doing something wrong. The instructions were ok but not the best. Even where the rolling cover touches the gate there is a small gap that can’t be minimized as there is metal rail that digs into tailgate. Needed it for a trip next week so will look at adjusting fit after trip. Anyone else have it fit perfectly?

Mandtz

Reaction score
I have the MFT with no rambox, replaced the factory brackets with ones from rightonbracket.com and installed a Retrax MX pro.
It fits perfectly and no leaks even though it sits outside in Seattle weather.
IMG_5281.jpg

Adrianp89

Reaction score
Just installed the Retrax Mx pro. Like the cover but many gaps with the MFT. Where the gate meets the Ram box is a huge space not covered. The cover itself interferes with the complete opening of the Ramboxes.
Would love to see pictures of other installs to see if I’m doing something wrong. The instructions were ok but not the best. Even where the rolling cover touches the gate there is a small gap that can’t be minimized as there is metal rail that digs into tailgate. Needed it for a trip next week so will look at adjusting fit after trip. Anyone else have it fit perfectly?

*Sigh* - This thread is about trucks with no RamBox.

bjevers

Reaction score

I have one I installed on my 2020 Ram 1500 with Ramboxes, no MFT and it has the same issues. I am going to return mine. It's not acceptable as it currently is.

Pepper

Reaction score
I did have a gap over the tailgate itself but I bought some weatherseal from Lowe's and it fit perfectly. I understand the Ramboxes don't lift 100% up because of the weatherseal from the track system on the Retrax but it's certainly nothing I can't live with.

Reaction score
I did have a gap over the tailgate itself but I bought some weatherseal from Lowe's and it fit perfectly. I understand the Ramboxes don't lift 100% up because of the weatherseal from the track system on the Retrax but it's certainly nothing I can't live with.
Could you post some pics of both the rambox open and your weather seal? I am currently waiting on a truck that I ordered but I'm looking to get a cover ASAP. You're one of the few that is saying no issues with rain getting in.

Users who are viewing this thread