5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Metallic rattle with moderate throttle

mtd006

Reaction score
Im telling you the issue is in thee transfer case. They are slowly rebuilding mine and this process is slow because its under warranty and everything needs to be approved. I will post when I get my truck back.

Make sure you start a case with Ram Cares!
Oh wow ok. Thank you. How do I go about starting the case with them? And is there anyway I can reference your case so they see it’s similar?

‘19ramlveryeha

Reaction score
UPDATE- just picked the truck up from the dealer, they completely changed their story. They replaced alternator and tensioner and noise is still there and the same. So needless to say I’m not happy. They also said there’s nothing else they will do and blamed my lift and other aftermarket stuff as the probably cause. So I’m back to a dead end. It’s clear we all have the same issue and it’s being ignored by RAM. Idk what else to do.

Nothing else but opening a case with ramcares. We’ve all been given the same bs lines.

2019 Ram 1500 ORP “long bed” - setting #5 bilsteins, 2”mopar ucas, hellwig sway bar, tonneau cover, bed mat, 20” Laramie sport wheels on 285/60r20 falkens. Flowmaster outlaw.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've actually received an oil change package as well as an extended warranty on my truck because of the issues I had with my truck so it cant hurt to try

mtd006

Reaction score
I've actually received an oil change package as well as an extended warranty on my truck because of the issues I had with my truck so it cant hurt to try
Thanks, I contacted them so hopefully I have the same positive experience moving forward.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good luck! The dealer I purchased my truck from were idiots so I ended up going to another dealership and they were willing to keep investigating so that's another option as well. If not Id be in the same boat so don't give up.

mtd006

Reaction score
Good luck! The dealer I purchased my truck from were idiots so I ended up going to another dealership and they were willing to keep investigating so that's another option as well. If not Id be in the same boat so don't give up.
Ya same, I’m gonna have to try a different dealership, if you don’t mind me asking, what is the dealership you are currently at that’s actually fixing it?

aoneill

Reaction score
Hey there....is this the rattle? We purchased a 2021 Ram 1500 Rebel in December 2020 and almost instantly we heard it and its continously getting worse. The truck is in the shop for a third time currently after driving three techs around, confirming they hear the noise, yet the next day they call and say they can't duplicate the noise. About to lose my f**king mind. We've filed a complaint with the dealership with RAM corporate and a seperate case with RAM.

mtd006

Reaction score
Hey there....is this the rattle? We purchased a 2021 Ram 1500 Rebel in December 2020 and almost instantly we heard it and its continously getting worse. The truck is in the shop for a third time currently after driving three techs around, confirming they hear the noise, yet the next day they call and say they can't duplicate the noise. About to lose my f**king mind. We've filed a complaint with the dealership with RAM corporate and a seperate case with RAM.

Sorry man, this is not the rattle we all are experiencing in this thread at least. Ours is originating from something in/around the transfer case/transmission. Yours sounds like some loose heat shielding or something possibly loose in the cabin.

mtd006

Reaction score
Well just got a response from my second dealership (where I purchased the truck). They can hear the rattle and admit it’s happening but cannot determine where it’s coming from or what’s causing the noise and there isn’t anything else they can do. Service advisor suggested I drive the truck “longer” and put more miles on it then maybe bring it back ??? Idk how that solves anything. At this point I guess I’ll look into lemon laws and see if I have a case with that.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well just got a response from my second dealership (where I purchased the truck). They can hear the rattle and admit it’s happening but cannot determine where it’s coming from or what’s causing the noise and there isn’t anything else they can do. Service advisor suggested I drive the truck “longer” and put more miles on it then maybe bring it back ??? Idk how that solves anything. At this point I guess I’ll look into lemon laws and see if I have a case with that.
Pretty sure the lemon law will not help you if the rattle does not affect performance in any way. Lemon laws are focused on mechanical defects that cannot or will not be remedied. As much as I can sympathize with you because I HATE rattles and vibrations I would say sell it or trade it and get another one.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Pretty sure the lemon law will not help you if the rattle does not affect performance in any way. Lemon laws are focused on mechanical defects that cannot or will not be remedied. As much as I can sympathize with you because I HATE rattles and vibrations I would say sell it or trade it and get another one.
My friend just had his Ram 3500 lemon lawed because of a ticking sound in *possibly* the valvetrain. Didn’t affect performance at all but it was annoying. But the truck has to go in to get fixed (and obviously they can’t fix it) for like 4 times for the same problem or if they keep the truck for a super long time then it’s eligible also.

TXECOD

Reaction score
I was able to convince my dealer ( I work there) to replace my transfer case. It didn't make the noise go away completely, but it only makes it for a split second now and only at a very specific throttle position. Id say its 95% percent better than it was. I can live with it now. Before it was driving mew crazy.

Rasworld84

Reaction score
I was able to convince my dealer ( I work there) to replace my transfer case. It didn't make the noise go away completely, but it only makes it for a split second now and only at a very specific throttle position. Id say its 95% percent better than it was. I can live with it now. Before it was driving mew crazy.
Thank you for your replay. I'm having a hard time locating where the noise is coming from because it only does it while pressing the accelerator.

TXECOD

Reaction score
Its coming from the chain inside the transfer case. If you put your truck in 4wd auto, it goes away. My opinion is Its the chain rattling when under load, but not engaged in 4wd. when you use 4ws auto, it engages the chain inside the transfer case, but not the front axle. noise goes away. At least in mine it did.

Rasworld84

Reaction score
Its coming from the chain inside the transfer case. If you put your truck in 4wd auto, it goes away. My opinion is Its the chain rattling when under load, but not engaged in 4wd. when you use 4ws auto, it engages the chain inside the transfer case, but not the front axle. noise goes away. At least in mine it did.
thank you. I will look into this. Do you think it could be making this noise if the fluid is low? I haven't checked my fluid level yet.

TXECOD

Reaction score
thank you. I will look into this. Do you think it could be making this noise if the fluid is low? I haven't checked my fluid level yet.
I suspected that. drained and refilled my fluid and there was no difference. I spent weeks looking for this dang noise. replacing the transfer case was the ONLY thing that made any difference.

Rasworld84

Reaction score
I suspected that. drained and refilled my fluid and there was no difference. I spent weeks looking for this dang noise. replacing the transfer case was the ONLY thing that made any difference.
I know, I'm so sick of this noise. I have checked pulleys, transmission and manifold along with the heatshields with no luck. I will let you know what I find out. thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/