5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Metallic rattle with moderate throttle

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Its coming from the chain inside the transfer case. If you put your truck in 4wd auto, it goes away. My opinion is Its the chain rattling when under load, but not engaged in 4wd. when you use 4ws auto, it engages the chain inside the transfer case, but not the front axle. noise goes away. At least in mine it did.
I have had the same issue for over a year....The noise appeared out of nowhere....I have a video posted on You Tube. Originally I thought it was the transfer case as well, but they finally changed the valve body and all of a sudden no noise....well the noise came back after 3 months. I just threw another code the other day and truck is now back in the shop...This time I will be getting a new tranny....The only thing I can think of is that the tranny made the new valve body go bad. I always drove around in 4wd auto but that ended up just prolonging having the issue repaired. I should have just kept it in 2wd so that the issue just got worse.

STB20

Reaction score
Hello I have a detonation problem pings when in 3rd or 4th gear under moderate acceleration I have replace the map sensor and has helped a little even replaced knock sensor and has helped a little i think its do to ram has never updated spark plugs through the years with the same heat range i know they have went up in compression and always kept the same heat range spark plug with a rather healthy projected tip only updating to Iridium spark plugs i believe that maybe a little less projected tip plug and one step colder spark plug should be the cure, what you guys thing about that
sorry my truck is a 2020 ram 1500 4x4 E torque 24000 miles

Users who are viewing this thread