5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Merry Glassmass

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well it was nice having another new truck for almost two months...

Driving down I95 and one of those vans that hauls huge glass panes on the sides let one go and it shattered right in front of us. "Peppered" the front of the truck taking out paint chunks, gouging the headlights and chrome and cracked our windshield. Already been on the phone starting the claim with their insurance. Just glad I have dash cam footage because it shows the glass panes were not secured well. Now we just have to figure out who to use for the repairs. Happy Holidays. 🤪

arptsprt

Reaction score
That really sucks, man. Hopefully you have them by the shorthairs. The first ding(s) are always the worst especially when this severe. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PM-Performance

Reaction score
Holy hell. Sorry to hear man.
Positive note: cars can be replaced and fixed. Your and your families health and safety is a diff story. So that being said, glad you are ok.

Merry christmas

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score

Driving down I95 and one of those vans that hauls huge glass panes on the sides let one go and it shattered right in front of us. "Peppered" the front of the truck taking out paint chunks, gouging the headlights and chrome and cracked our windshield. Already been on the phone starting the claim with their insurance. Just glad I have dash cam footage because it shows the glass panes were not secured well. Now we just have to figure out who to use for the repairs. Happy Holidays. 🤪
Not sure whether to like it as I am glad you got footage, or be upset and say sorry. Any pictures of damage?

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure whether to like it as I am glad you got footage, or be upset and say sorry. Any pictures of damage?
Not really picture worthy I think. It's just some chipped paint on the front end from the bumper and up to the hood, some pits on the chrome grill and mirrors, some small gouges in the headlight plastic and I think some glass is still embedded in some spots. Largest paint chips are about 1/8" diameter. The only thing I see on the windshield as of now is one of those star pattern cracks... right in front of the driver so you can't help but focus on it... about the size of silver dollar. There are some other spots I suspect, but I'm not messing with it or cleaning it to see until the adjuster takes a look. I'll see about pics after all is said and done with insurance.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

This is exactly why I install Dashcams in all of my vehicles...it can never be disputed!

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well the insurance company for the commercial van has accepted responsibility and sent out their adjuster. He just left and his estimate is $6600 damage. :oops:

Probably get an appointment set up on Monday for the repairs at a Nissan dealership we've used before for body repairs and been happy with.

Last edited:

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well the insurance company for the commercial van has accepted responsibility and sent out their adjuster. He just left and his estimate is $6600 damage. :oops:

Probably get an appointment set up on Monday for the repairs at a Nissan dealership we've used before for body repairs and been happy with.

Glad you're OK, and unfortunately glad that the dashcam investment paid off.

Speaking from personal experience... never go by what the "opposing" insurance adjuster says. They always try to downplay the damage and costs.
One time, vehicle's frame was twisted by an accident and she needed a whole new front end (frame pieces, headlights, grille, bumper, radiator, etc.) on top of the frame being straightened/replaced. Their adjuster tried to tell me it was only going to be $8k. When I disagreed with him, he took a second look, and said $13k. After my trusted body shop took a look, their estimate was $40k. They totaled it.

Obviously you won't get totaled, but my point is simply never trust the other guys' insurance or adjusters 100%. Also, up to you, but I would not let them use aftermarket parts. That may not be a huge deal, as these trucks are still new enough that there isn't a huge selection of aftermarket alternative parts yet.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Glad you're OK, and unfortunately glad that the dashcam investment paid off.

Speaking from personal experience... never go by what the "opposing" insurance adjuster says. They always try to downplay the damage and costs.
One time, vehicle's frame was twisted by an accident and she needed a whole new front end (frame pieces, headlights, grille, bumper, radiator, etc.) on top of the frame being straightened/replaced. Their adjuster tried to tell me it was only going to be $8k. When I disagreed with him, he took a second look, and said $13k. After my trusted body shop took a look, their estimate was $40k. They totaled it.

Obviously you won't get totaled, but my point is simply never trust the other guys' insurance or adjusters 100%. Also, up to you, but I would not let them use aftermarket parts. That may not be a huge deal, as these trucks are still new enough that there isn't a huge selection of aftermarket alternative parts yet.
Honestly I didn't think the estimate from the adjuster would be so high (The Limited grill alone is $1800 though). Regardless, once the shop starts repairs and if they find anything else they'll notify the insurance for adjustment... and trust me when I say they WILL use Mopar parts. We've had practice with this crap when my son's 2012 Ram was in an accident and had to pretty much have his whole front end replaced. The other guy's insurance bitched a little, but my son ended up with a large pile of Mopar boxes/parts to replace everything, a rental truck and they replaced the aftermarket bull bar and light bars.

Besides, if I can't make it happen then I just stand back and let the wife do her thing. Pity them then. ☠️

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Used Microsoft's generic video editor to trim the length, so it degraded a little. Date/time wasn't set and the audio was off... but it was loud as it hit us. Couldn't slam on the brakes either or the cars behind us would've probably hit us. Anyway... vid:

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
Used Microsoft's generic video editor to trim the length, so it degraded a little. Date/time wasn't set and the audio was off... but it was loud as it hit us. Couldn't slam on the brakes either or the cars behind us would've probably hit us. Anyway... vid:

Did they by chance pull over and talk to you or just try and drive off in the sunset? That’s like driving an 18 wheeler and just saying deuces to the trailer mid drive. Friggin ignorant driver. Just down right dangerous.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Did they by chance pull over and talk to you or just try and drive off in the sunset? That’s like driving an 18 wheeler and just saying deuces to the trailer mid drive. Friggin ignorant driver. Just down right dangerous.
They saw I was following and eventually pulled over. I got photos of their drivers license and insurance card.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, truck goes in on the 18th for repairs. Nissan out in favor of a local business we've also used before who looks out for the customer instead of the insurance company. They're going to replace the lower grille, upper grill and upper trim, headlights, passenger side fender flares and windshield. Repair and paint the hood, bumper, pass fender, filler panels and rear pass door. Somehow, the front passenger door didn't get a scratch. Don't know if they'll find anything else when they start, though...

😣

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
At least they gave you a pickup for a rental! When my 2013 was in the shop (before it was declared totaled), they made me drive an Impala.

Glad you're getting the process started, and an end to this ordeal is in sight.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
At least they gave you a pickup for a rental! When my 2013 was in the shop (before it was declared totaled), they made me drive an Impala.

Glad you're getting the process started, and an end to this ordeal is in sight.
Yup, can't wait to put this all in the rear view.

His insurance actually asked if I needed a truck so of course I said yes. I'm just surprised the little Enterprise in our town actually had one available. At least it has their baby V8... but no hitch. 😒

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yup, can't wait to put this all in the rear view.

His insurance actually asked if I needed a truck so of course I said yes. I'm just surprised the little Enterprise in our town actually had one available. At least it has their baby V8... but no hitch. 😒

I say go out and beat streetspeed717's TRX jump record with it.

Users who are viewing this thread