5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

May have found the " open door noise " source....

RamLink83

Reaction score
Here’s a fix: 3/8” or 1/4” weatherstrip foam. Place it behind the factory weatherstripping. I used 3/8”. Works like a champ to seal the loose fitting top corners of the door! The doors even sound more solid when closing now.
View attachment 47170
Can you share another picture of it installed and how far across the top and sides you went with the foam? Is that foam just backing rod use when caulking large gaps?

retho78

Reaction score
Following! Mine is at the dealership for few issues and in cab noise.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I noticed this the other day, pulling In stops the noise. Take a pic of the foam stuck on.

bonebro

Reaction score
Can you share another picture of it installed and how far across the top and sides you went with the foam? Is that foam just backing rod use when caulking large gaps?

Yep that’s the stuff! The oem weatherstripping has a metal backing, get your fingers behind that and pull it out, then stuff the foam rope behind it. I went from my finger to the black road grime spot above the weatherstripping (or the White string hanging from the ceiling in the background). It was such a large gap between the door and oem weatherstripping that placing the 3/8” foam rope in there didn’t even push the door out beyond the rear door when closed! Still flush as you can see in the pic from outside the truck with doors closed.
I also did this on the bottom of the door and to the rear doors where I saw that the oem stripping was not rubbing on the door.
6CEF9D57-629A-422C-A297-D99ECBD63D0A.jpeg B7D79422-11F8-4C06-AD0C-33E2EE4CF7A1.jpeg

Attachments

• 9BD05B15-5ACC-4291-B545-6136F6179608.jpeg
    9BD05B15-5ACC-4291-B545-6136F6179608.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 148

retho78

Reaction score
Yep that’s the stuff! The oem weatherstripping has a metal backing, get your fingers behind that and pull it out, then stuff the foam rope behind it. I went from my finger to the black road grime spot above the weatherstripping (or the White string hanging from the ceiling in the background). It was such a large gap between the door and oem weatherstripping that placing the 3/8” foam rope in there didn’t even push the door out beyond the rear door when closed! Still flush as you can see in the pic from outside the truck with doors closed.
I also did this on the bottom of the door and to the rear doors where I saw that the oem stripping was not rubbing on the door.
View attachment 47192 View attachment 47191
Where did you get the foam strips from?

Damion

Reaction score
So you put the foam between the rubber door gasket and the body?

retho78

Reaction score
Menards. I’m sure Home Depot and even Walmart will have it also. By the door and garage door weatherstripping section.
Thanks, my truck is at dealership fixing the front clunk, seat covers and checking on the door noise so, will see what they find out on the door noise. If no solution then will try this foam weatherstrip.

Can you tell a difference after adding the weatherstrip? Also, curious to see if you were able to check the sound level before and after.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you think creating a gap between the body and the metal backing, by jamming the foam in there, would create a water entrance funnel? I’m going to try this tomorrow and throw the hose on it.

retho78

Reaction score
Do you think creating a gap between the body and the metal backing, by jamming the foam in there, would create a water entrance funnel? I’m going to try this tomorrow and throw the hose on it.
I believe the foam weatherstrip sits inside the rubber weatherstrip so the rubber is more firm and seals better and shouldn't make any difference but, worth a try with the water test and see what happens.

Reaction score
Noticed the same issue on my driver side door. Haven’t had a chance to ride in the passenger seat to see if it’s happening on that door as well, but when I pull in on the top frame towards the body and it stops it’s pretty quite in the cabin so I feel like it’s just my drivers side door.

interested to see what the dealerships are doing to remedy this but the backer rod seems like a legitimate fix.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just want to confirm I'm getting the same issue. Could you pull in on the door in the top left while driving down the road to quiet the noise (hooking your fingers between glass and frame with window still closed)? I'm getting it on both driver and passenger front in the upper corners by the latch. Takes high winds or gusts to do it, but when it's a windy day I want to take an ice pick to my ear drums, especially on 4 hour rides.

Noticed the same issue on my driver side door. Haven’t had a chance to ride in the passenger seat to see if it’s happening on that door as well, but when I pull in on the top frame towards the body and it stops it’s pretty quite in the cabin so I feel like it’s just my drivers side door.

interested to see what the dealerships are doing to remedy this but the backer rod seems like a legitimate fix.

Hi Lancer1991 & Leatherneck1371, if you decide to address this with your dealers, please be sure to let us know via private message. I am happy to get cases escalated on your behalf for further support while you work with your dealers.

Thanks, my truck is at dealership fixing the front clunk, seat covers and checking on the door noise so, will see what they find out on the door noise. If no solution then will try this foam weatherstrip.

Can you tell a difference after adding the weatherstrip? Also, curious to see if you were able to check the sound level before and after.

Hi retho78, please be sure to keep us updated on your dealer's findings! Feel free to follow up with us via PM if any additional assistance is needed while your truck is in service.

Mark
RamCares

retho78

Reaction score
Hi Lancer1991 & Leatherneck1371, if you decide to address this with your dealers, please be sure to let us know via private message. I am happy to get cases escalated on your behalf for further support while you work with your dealers.

Hi retho78, please be sure to keep us updated on your dealer's findings! Feel free to follow up with us via PM if any additional assistance is needed while your truck is in service.

Mark
RamCares
Thanks Mark, I do have a Star case for the seat cover issues and waiting to see what the dealership says.

retho78

Reaction score
Well folks, I got the truck back today and after further diagnosis with the seat covers, they said the fibers coming through the vents are normal due to the perforated seats for cooled seats. They did check few other trucks on the lot and some had it, and they said it will go away as the seats are cleaned. Also, they did clean the seats covers on my truck and most of it is gone away so will see how it holds up.

And in regards to the front clunk noise they are saying it is front passenger side sway bar link and not the strut and it's on order. In regards to the wind noise they came back saying everything is normal and it's just wind turbulence.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i drove some F150's, even a 6-year old one, 2014 model, and they are very quiet compared to our trucks. kind of sad. i'm not a ford person, but i drive different vehicles at work, and its just something i noticed.

retho78

Reaction score
Agreed, the 4thGen is much quieter and even gets better MPGs too compared to 5thGen.

Tgl211

Reaction score
My wind noise issue was addressed and "fixed" by the dealer. They replaced missing bolts under the dash and realligned the drivers side doors. It is much better but no where near as quiet as the 2012 ram with 144,000 miles I traded in. Pretty disappointing really.

big al

Reaction score
Subscribed! I’ve been working on this issue for over a year. I’ve had the back seats out many many times, played with all the weather stripping and adjusted the doors etc etc etc.
You adjusted the doors ~ Please give more info on how, or is this covered under warranty? :)

Users who are viewing this thread