5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maps update failure!

Cesar592

Reaction score
I don't know why I have these maps and I can't update to anything else right now.

Attachments

• IMG_2345.jpeg
    IMG_2345.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 49

akostaac

Reaction score
I just updated mine to the latest via USB and no issues whatsoever.

Attachments

• nav1.jpg
    nav1.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 23
  • nav2.jpg
    nav2.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 23
  • nav3.jpg
    nav3.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 22

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
WOW! That was fast since the last one. Thanks TomTom!

You're welcome, but my name is IdahoKTM. :ROFLMAO:

Damn! I just downloaded the files last week and did it today....:ROFLMAO: I just checked and you are right. I will update it again in couple of months

There will be another update in 3 months, so you might as well install this one now.

U

User_3336

Is this legit different than the one from last summer? Someone mentioned the last update was the same file size as that one.
Just because they're the same size doesn't mean they aren't updated. It will report a different version number once its installed. 17GB seems right.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Is this legit different than the one from last summer? Someone mentioned the last update was the same file size as that one.

Look at the version # on the pic I posted...v2023.12. The version prior to that was v2023.09.

U

User_3336

Brother just got a new Silverado. Their NAV uses google maps built in. Always up to date.

U

User_3336

And who is paying for that cloud data connection, and what how often is your GPS tracking sent to Google and anyone who asks Google?
Well, if you got an Android phone with ya while you're driving, you're probably already being tracked anyways..
Onstar could track you anyways.
I think the data connection was included for 3 years.

DeanM2

Reaction score
Brother just got a new Silverado. Their NAV uses google maps built in. Always up to date.
Google maps is great... while you have cell service. It doesn't work if you don't have cell service.

vtcats

Reaction score
It doesn't work if there's no wireless data.
On a phone, it will continue to work if you are on a route, even if no cell coverage (as long as you started the route with coverage). If it has to re-route with no coverage you’d be in trouble and may even lose the map portion unless you’ve downloaded the maps. Although even with downloaded maps it won’t re-route you. Having said that, I’m not sure about how it works when using AA. I don’t know (for SURE) if it’s using the map from your phone or a separate app within Unconnect 5. If from your phone, and if you downloaded that area map, then again, you’ll be able to keep the map, but as with the phone no rerouting if you turn off the route.

Per THIS thread/conversation, I assume the Native/resident Nav system acts similar (it won’t just cut out the map on a route you already programed, but for sure would not re-route or show maps other than a current route) . But I have not experimented just yet to verify.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
On a phone, it will continue to work if you are on a route, even if no cell coverage (as long as you started the route with coverage). If it has to re-route with no coverage you’d be in trouble and may even lose the map portion unless you’ve downloaded the maps. Although even with downloaded maps it won’t re-route you. Having said that, I’m not sure about how it works when using AA. I don’t know (for SURE) if it’s using the map from your phone or a separate app within Unconnect 5. If from your phone, and if you downloaded that area map, then again, you’ll be able to keep the map, but as with the phone no rerouting if you turn off the route.

Per THIS thread/conversation, I assume the Native/resident Nav system acts similar (it won’t just cut out the map on a route you already programed, but for sure would not re-route or show maps other than a current route) . But I have not experimented just yet to verify.
On a phone if you let it download maps it will reroute without signal as long as you have gps. Offline maps lasts a year or 2 before you need to update them. Getting offline maps is a manual process of 2 finger zooming, I can't get them on my android box due to multi-touch not working on uconnect 5 and thus no way to zoom out (might be able to try a Bluetooth mouse).

I'm willing to bet any head unit that has "Google maps" built-in will not allow you to download offline maps because then Google loses the ability to track you get get all your information to resell to advertisers and the government (the only reason Google exists)

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online