5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Map Update Out of Stock

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I guess a hybrid because Uconnect still uses TomTom for nav. I did prefer the Uconnect over the Ford Sync system.
The operating system in Android, Tomtom is not an OS, that is the software.

Uconnect is running Android, it has a TomTom app it integrates in

I think what you really are looking for is Google Maps installed onto the head unit running Android already, or what I would prefer is access to side load apps and or the complete Android appstore as part of the unit since the hardware and software already is there.

BlueHemi1500

Reaction score
I was able to order my map update.
My problem was the radio operating system I guess was too old. I found the software to update to 40.1 and once I typed in the newer version that I installed, I got the Map update, and it came in 2 days.
The directions with the software did not match the prompts on the screen, but I could update the new maps.
That was my issue - my operating system was too old - but Uconnect told me there was not an update for the operating system.
So if you have an old version of the software it may be the reason you get the out-of-stock message.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just sent HERE an Email giving them 1 week to ship or cancel my order with a full refund.

I ordered on May 24th. That is over 2 months ago. How hard is it to load software on a
USB Drive and Ship it?

Malodave

CogitoErgoLevo

Reaction score
I just sent HERE an Email giving them 1 week to ship or cancel my order with a full refund.

I ordered on May 24th. That is over 2 months ago. How hard is it to load software on a
USB Drive and Ship it?

Malodave
By the time you get your map update USB stick, the newer version will only be a few months away.

DennisY

Reaction score
I was able to order my map update.
My problem was the radio operating system I guess was too old. I found the software to update to 40.1 and once I typed in the newer version that I installed, I got the Map update, and it came in 2 days.
The directions with the software did not match the prompts on the screen, but I could update the new maps.
That was my issue - my operating system was too old - but Uconnect told me there was not an update for the operating system.
So if you have an old version of the software it may be the reason you get the out-of-stock message.
Where do you determine the software version? And where did you find 40.1? If I am not mistaken, the map update that is shipped comes with a software update too. Been a couple of months since I read through it but I think it specifically states to update the software first.

DennisY

Reaction score
Shocking. I finally got an email stating that my map update is shipping from Tennessee, and will be here in 5-15 days. Must be going out via the slow boat but at least it is finally being shipped.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score

USB Drive and Ship it?

Malodave

I got a Shipment email last night at 6pm. Still no estimated delivery date.

Malodave

Looks like they shipped it by FEDEX Smartpost. So FFEDEX brings it up and gives it to the USPS so they can lose the package.
It moved from Smyrna TN to Murfeesboro TN. That is only about 20 Hours of driving to me. I've done it before. But it could
take up to 15 days to arrive?

Edit
It is in WV now 8/11

Edit 2
Reached CT 8/11
Probably be delivered by USPS on Tue

Last edited:

BlueHemi1500

Reaction score
Where do you determine the software version? And where did you find 40.1? If I am not mistaken, the map update that is shipped comes with a software update too. Been a couple of months since I read through it but I think it specifically states to update the software first.
I found the updated files I think on this board.
To see the radio software version hold the bottom 2 corners for about 20 seconds - make sure not to be touching any Icons... let go and the menus will pop up.
There is a PDF file that will be found with the updated files that explain the entire process. I suggest printing out the pages to follow when doing the update process and thoroughly reading the document before starting the process. It took about 30 minutes to update the software. It then took about 30 minutes to update the maps.
I was having problems with my radio which forced me to find the software update, which seems to have been fixed.
I'm just not sure about the thread title.

BlueHemi1500

DennisY

Reaction score
So I received the map and software update USBs today (2 1/2 months after ordering!). The software update went very smoothly. The map update did not. First, the Product Serial Number was not valid according to the website they send you to in order to get your Activation Code. So I called in to Support. They used the same number I was entering to generate a code. Sheesh. I then started the next steps. All seemed to go well and it finished with the expected message. BUT (!) when I go back into the Navigation screen under System, it still shows that the map is a 2018 version, not the 2022 that was delivered and theoretically installed. I tried it again but got the same result. Anyone know the magic trick to fix this? I'll plan on calling them tomorrow. Shouldn't be this hard, people!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I received the map and software update USBs today (2 1/2 months after ordering!). The software update went very smoothly. The map update did not. First, the Product Serial Number was not valid according to the website they send you to in order to get your Activation Code. So I called in to Support. They used the same number I was entering to generate a code. Sheesh. I then started the next steps. All seemed to go well and it finished with the expected message. BUT (!) when I go back into the Navigation screen under System, it still shows that the map is a 2018 version, not the 2022 that was delivered and theoretically installed. I tried it again but got the same result. Anyone know the magic trick to fix this? I'll plan on calling them tomorrow. Shouldn't be this hard, people!
Maybe give it overnight and check in morning

DennisY

Reaction score
The screen did not change overnight so I called the Support desk again. They informed me that the 2018 date I see in the very long "Map Update Version" in System Information has to do with the original install, not my update. At the end of that long version number, it says 21Q4, meaning Q4 2021, and that is in fact the latest map database. Sheesh. I wonder how many calls they get because of their goofy version numbering. It's almost as if they are new to this. Anyway, all's well that ends well I guess. Still seems like an outdated map to me but it's apparently newer than what I had.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From my '19 version of the Maps that came on my '21 Laramie, I have seen speed limits on 30-35mph roads read as 55 mph.

I received my update on Saturday. Found the Envelope on the ground next to my Truck and not in my Mailbox.

Malodave

DennisY

Reaction score
From my '19 version of the Maps that came on my '21 Laramie, I have seen speed limits on 30-35mph roads read as 55 mph.

I received my update on Saturday. Found the Envelope on the ground next to my Truck and not in my Mailbox.

Malodave

Haven't seen much of that here but the most interesting thing I have seen was on my first trip to my son's new house in southern Kern County, CA. It's quite a bit north of me and it took me on a north-south eastern freeway and highways versus western. All fine until it wanted me to go west toward their house (which is sort of half way between the western route and the eastern route. The problem was that that highway it wanted me to turn west on no longer existed! An east-west freeway had been built at some point just north of the old highway. I could see the onramp luckily, so took that instead. Meanwhile, the NAV showed me 4-wheelin' since it didn't know of the existence of the new freeway across the desert! It was pretty hilarious. Eventually, it all worked itself out of course.

The other thing I have seen quite a bit is Points of Interest that have closed down and no longer exist. I'm hoping this update corrects most of those.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Haven't seen much of that here but the most interesting thing I have seen was on my first trip to my son's new house in southern Kern County, CA. It's quite a bit north of me and it took me on a north-south eastern freeway and highways versus western. All fine until it wanted me to go west toward their house (which is sort of half way between the western route and the eastern route. The problem was that that highway it wanted me to turn west on no longer existed! An east-west freeway had been built at some point just north of the old highway. I could see the onramp luckily, so took that instead. Meanwhile, the NAV showed me 4-wheelin' since it didn't know of the existence of the new freeway across the desert! It was pretty hilarious. Eventually, it all worked itself out of course.

The other thing I have seen quite a bit is Points of Interest that have closed down and no longer exist. I'm hoping this update corrects most of those.
Here is my bad experience

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Updated the Radio to 40.1.0 last night. Updated the Maps this Morning at work. It gave me
a request code that I went to their website to get the Activation code. I shut down the Truck
while I went inside on the computer. Took the Activation Code back out to the Truck. Upon
restarting the Truck it gave me a new Request code. I put the activation code I got in and
it accepted it and loaded the Map Update.

Malodave

Users who are viewing this thread