5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manual shifting?

AndrewGS

Reaction score
Having never owned a Ram with the knob shifter, is there a way to change gear manually? I only use the manual mode on my F150 when I'm in the mountains, but it's very useful there.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
There are buttons on the steering wheel that you can use to limit the top gear. It doesn't work as a full manual mode as you can only limit the top gear but it works well. I actually don't use it on mine very much because the grade braking is so good with the 8 speed.

R

Ryan

On a related note, if you manually select 8th gear it will still automatically shift through all your gears but cylinder deactivation will be disabled which means it should be a bit quicker.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
DarkSky said:
On a related note, if you manually select 8th gear it will still automatically shift through all your gears but cylinder deactivation will be disabled which means it should be a bit quicker.
Good point, a lot of times I'll select 8th when I'm just driving around town so it's not kicking in and out of MDS in traffic.

R

Ryan

Jared Balfour said:
Good point, a lot of times I'll select 8th when I'm just driving around town so it's not kicking in and out of MDS in traffic.
I preferred driving it like that when I remembered to select 8th because I could hear MDS turning on and off and the sound really grated on my nerves.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
What bothers me about it is the feeling when it kicks out of 4 cylinder mode. In my old Grand Cherokee I had a tuner and disabled it.

R

Ryan

Jared Balfour said:
What bothers me about it is the feeling when it kicks out of 4 cylinder mode. In my old Grand Cherokee I had a tuner and disabled it.
Yes, it's kind of got a grinding sound and it's like fingernails on a chalkboard for me.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mines always in V6 mode
1f609.png
icon_lol.gif

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
HighDesertRam said:
On the 2019, I can't tell when it switches from 8cyl to 4 and back. It is pretty darn seamless.
yeah they did a really good job with it, I couldn't tell with any of the trucks I drove.

Users who are viewing this thread