Manual shifting?

AndrewGS

Having never owned a Ram with the knob shifter, is there a way to change gear manually? I only use the manual mode on my F150 when I'm in the mountains, but it's very useful there.

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Website
5thgenrams.com
There are buttons on the steering wheel that you can use to limit the top gear. It doesn't work as a full manual mode as you can only limit the top gear but it works well. I actually don't use it on mine very much because the grade braking is so good with the 8 speed.

R

Ryan

On a related note, if you manually select 8th gear it will still automatically shift through all your gears but cylinder deactivation will be disabled which means it should be a bit quicker.

Jared B

Site editor
Staff member
Website
5thgenrams.com
DarkSky said:
On a related note, if you manually select 8th gear it will still automatically shift through all your gears but cylinder deactivation will be disabled which means it should be a bit quicker.
Good point, a lot of times I'll select 8th when I'm just driving around town so it's not kicking in and out of MDS in traffic.

R

Ryan

Jared Balfour said:
Good point, a lot of times I'll select 8th when I'm just driving around town so it's not kicking in and out of MDS in traffic.
I preferred driving it like that when I remembered to select 8th because I could hear MDS turning on and off and the sound really grated on my nerves.

R

Ryan

Jared Balfour said:
What bothers me about it is the feeling when it kicks out of 4 cylinder mode. In my old Grand Cherokee I had a tuner and disabled it.
Yes, it's kind of got a grinding sound and it's like fingernails on a chalkboard for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)