5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making Progress De-Chroming Limited

bbetts00

Reaction score
Did you remove the chrome door moulding or did your truck not come with it? I think I remember seeing a post that it’s held on with double faced tape and that there aren’t any clips but can’t find that post anywhere to confirm.
It's just 3M tape. Heat it up, and it comes off fairly easily.

Thatsme06

Reaction score
Finally got rid of 99% of the chrome on my Limited. Had the grill painted with black background and Ivory accents. Added new shoes last week with Fuel Contra 22x10 and 33x12.50 Open County M/T. Also, added Revel Links for 38.5 on front and 39 rear in normal setting (no error codes up to this point in OR1 or OR2) thankfully no rubbing issues. Last few projects are replacing chrome window trip (have the black trim hoping to throw on this weekend) and blackout tails. Thanks to Jeremy at Retro Shop for the Ivory matched badass badges and Dustin from Custom Automotive in Kentucky for getting the wheels and tire to Florida for me! Second time I’ve used Custom Automotive in the last three years, highly recommend them no matter where you are located!
Do you know off hand what offset you went with on the wheels?

Chado20

Reaction score
Truck looks awesome! What did you use to make the badges black? Paint or plasti-dip? If you used paint what brand and shade did you use i.e. satin, flat etc..

Ordered them in black. You can find them on Amazon or eBay for fairly cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GLF5

Reaction score
Did you ever get around to swapping out the chrome window surrounds. Sorry if I missed a post but I'm curious to see how that went.

Thanks

bbetts00

Reaction score
I just had my grille painted to match body color, and may now be done with my project to de-chrome my Limited. I completely disassembled the grill and painted the upper and lower appliqués, inside brushed metal trim piece, and chrome grid accent. I’ve also swapped the mirror caps, removed the original side molding and replaced with body color, swapped the tailgate handle, and went to black badging. I also swapped my OEM 20’s for Rebel wheels and tires. Still debating blacking out or replacing the chrome window trim and door handles, but I may just leave it alone. I think doing the grille and mirrors made a huge difference in toning down the overdone chrome on the Limited. 825510E7-1D0A-4CFD-BD90-39EC10D6938F.jpeg 1984075A-7503-4275-B0B0-E933D079CF07.jpeg 9592C8A0-6C23-4229-94CE-DFEFC86449BF.jpeg 1AE26483-D4EF-4751-9148-A05EB6CF589D.jpeg

Chado20

Reaction score
I just had my grille painted to match body color, and may now be done with my project to de-chrome my Limited. I completely disassembled the grill and painted the upper and lower appliqués, inside brushed metal trim piece, and chrome grid accent. I’ve also swapped the mirror caps, removed the original side molding and replaced with body color, swapped the tailgate handle, and went to black badging. I also swapped my OEM 20’s for Rebel wheels and tires. Still debating blacking out or replacing the chrome window trim and door handles, but I may just leave it alone. I think doing the grille and mirrors made a huge difference in toning down the overdone chrome on the Limited. View attachment 18870 View attachment 18871 View attachment 18872 View attachment 18873

Looking good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just had my grille painted to match body color, and may now be done with my project to de-chrome my Limited. I completely disassembled the grill and painted the upper and lower appliqués, inside brushed metal trim piece, and chrome grid accent. I’ve also swapped the mirror caps, removed the original side molding and replaced with body color, swapped the tailgate handle, and went to black badging. I also swapped my OEM 20’s for Rebel wheels and tires. Still debating blacking out or replacing the chrome window trim and door handles, but I may just leave it alone. I think doing the grille and mirrors made a huge difference in toning down the overdone chrome on the Limited.

Looks familiar! I just had mine done this week. Here is a quick shot when I got it back. I decided to leave the center the way it was but I did order the black grille emblems from eBay. I figured for 22.00 vs vinyl I will just get the OEM ones. I just need someone to swap tow hooks with me :D:p

I like the Rebel wheels, may have to find someone to swap those too!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_15f.jpg

MascotteBear

Reaction score
Looks familiar! I just had mine done this week. Here is a quick shot when I got it back. I decided to leave the center the way it was but I did order the black grille emblems from eBay. I figured for 22.00 vs vinyl I will just get the OEM ones. I just need someone to swap tow hooks with me :D:p

View attachment 19196
Is that a sport hood I see? Nice!!!

bbetts00

Reaction score

View attachment 19196
Damn it, man, now you convinced me I need to take care of the window trim and door handles. Are you still happy with the vinyl, or would you replace them if you did it over again?

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score

View attachment 19196
That looks great. Nice job.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
**** it, man, now you convinced me I need to take care of the window trim and door handles. Are you still happy with the vinyl, or would you replace them if you did it over again?

I would probably just pay for the OEM window trim and knock it out myself. I still may end up doing it because I have a few pieces of trim that don't align which technically RAM should be responsible for but they will only replace with chrome. The door handles I am fine with vinyl, the cost of those handles I believe are expensive unless I am mistaken.

Savagescott

Reaction score
I would probably just pay for the OEM window trim and knock it out myself. I still may end up doing it because I have a few pieces of trim that don't align which technically RAM should be responsible for but they will only replace with chrome. The door handles I am fine with vinyl, the cost of those handles I believe are expensive unless I am mistaken.

Looks great - I'm intrigued. Can you give a list of the items you changed and a ballpark price for those items and/or the project?

Users who are viewing this thread