5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making Progress De-Chroming Limited

Jax44

Reaction score
How did you deal with the chrome bumpers? I asked a local paint shop and they didn't want to deal with them.
Jay, i was quoted $1,200 to color wrap all the rest of the chrome on my truck, just not sure i want to part with the money yet.......

bbetts00

Reaction score
Yeah going to do myself. Bought the black trim and got the install/removal instructions in this forum, hopefully get them on this weekend. Interesting on tow hooks. I was thinking about having them vinyl wrapped. I’ll have to look around on the removal process and do that myself as well. Thanks!
Can you point me to the instructions to remove and replace the window trim? I am considering doing this as well, but can't find the instructions.

bbetts00

Reaction score
Thanks. These instructions only cover the belt molding (bottom section of window trim). I'm assuming you have to remove some interior paneling and/or rearview mirror to remove/replace the other sections. Do you have these instructions as well?

Chado20

Reaction score
Don’t know yet. Still have to do it myself. I can tell you this, on the black trim I have, there is no 3M tape on them, but small brackets which indicates to me they snap in. Going to try it this weekend hopefully

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbetts00

Reaction score
Don’t know yet. Still have to do it myself. I can tell you this, on the black trim I have, there is no 3M tape on them, but small brackets which indicates to me they snap in. Going to try it this weekend hopefully

Great, thanks. I'll wait for you to be the guinea pig ;) Can you let us know how it goes and share any additional steps/ hang-ups?

mhb1638

Reaction score
I’ll check it out. Thanks!

Google the name, he has his own website-no need for intagram.

Question--i was always told paint doesn't bond well over chrome...how did your shop manage to do this and have it stick? I'm worried over this cause I don't want it fragile to the road and debris and such

Chado20

Reaction score
No clue. Has a lifetime warranty, so I’m to concerned. There are a few other guys on here who have painted grille as well, they might have better insight on that. Sorry can’t help

macallien

Reaction score

bbetts00

Reaction score
can you provide the part numbers for the black window trim to replace all the chrome one?
No, that post only addresses removing the belt molding (the section at the bottom). That's the easy part. The other window trim sections involve door panel and other interior trim removal to get access. I haven't heard from anyone that's done it yet or instructions to complete it.

rudyyoko

Reaction score
what are you guys doing with the chrome trim? I like the chrome and I want to replace the dark trim for chrome around the windows.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have to say your truck came out awesome. Really tastefully done. I am not a fan of chrome either and the balance of white and black looks very slick. Classy and bada** at the same time. Good choice of wheels. Well done.

bbetts00

Reaction score
Finally got rid of 99% of the chrome on my Limited. Had the grill painted with black background and Ivory accents. Added new shoes last week with Fuel Contra 22x10 and 33x12.50 Open County M/T. Also, added Revel Links for 38.5 on front and 39 rear in normal setting (no error codes up to this point in OR1 or OR2) thankfully no rubbing issues. Last few projects are replacing chrome window trip (have the black trim hoping to throw on this weekend) and blackout tails. Thanks to Jeremy at Retro Shop for the Ivory matched badass badges and Dustin from Custom Automotive in Kentucky for getting the wheels and tire to Florida for me! Second time I’ve used Custom Automotive in the last three years, highly recommend them no matter where you are located!
Chado, did you replace the door handles, paint, or vinyl wrap them?

bbetts00

Reaction score
Paint!

Any luck over the weekend with the window trim? I had my front door panels off on Saturday, and it seems like the chrome trim replacement would only require the removal of the door panels and a trim piece that surrounds the upper part of the door/window. Not sure it’s required, but there is also a special trim tool specifically for this job. Seems fairly straightforward.

Chado20

Reaction score
Any luck over the weekend with the window trim? I had my front door panels off on Saturday, and it seems like the chrome trim replacement would only require the removal of the door panels and a trim piece that surrounds the upper part of the door/window. Not sure it’s required, but there is also a special trim tool specifically for this job. Seems fairly straightforward.

No never got around to it and it definitely won’t be this weekend either eventually....

402Drew

Reaction score
Finally got rid of 99% of the chrome on my Limited. Had the grill painted with black background and Ivory accents. Added new shoes last week with Fuel Contra 22x10 and 33x12.50 Open County M/T. Also, added Revel Links for 38.5 on front and 39 rear in normal setting (no error codes up to this point in OR1 or OR2) thankfully no rubbing issues. Last few projects are replacing chrome window trip (have the black trim hoping to throw on this weekend) and blackout tails. Thanks to Jeremy at Retro Shop for the Ivory matched badass badges and Dustin from Custom Automotive in Kentucky for getting the wheels and tire to Florida for me! Second time I’ve used Custom Automotive in the last three years, highly recommend them no matter where you are located!

Did you remove the chrome door moulding or did your truck not come with it? I think I remember seeing a post that it’s held on with double faced tape and that there aren’t any clips but can’t find that post anywhere to confirm.

Users who are viewing this thread