5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magnaflow 12288 muffler?

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’ll be posting a cold start video tomorrow of how it sounds now. Resonators are all eliminated and I think it sounds absolutely amazing. Gave it the tone and loudness i desired. With resonators installed, it was far too quiet for my taste, but still sounded really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d be curious to hear more about with/without resonators because most of what I have read from others is that deleting resonators doesn’t do much of anything to overall sound or loudness, at least not in a good way. That by removing them the change to sound is minimal at best because they only remove certain unwanted frequencies that add to potential “drone”.

Isn’t it better to either just do a muffler swap (pick muffler size/brand) and leave resonators in place OR do a full catback (which by definition removes the resonators with straight pipes)? Because by doing a hybrid (new muffler plus a resonator delete) you are messing with the airflow design since each complete exhaust system is designed to move air in a certain way and that might cause drone instead of proper exhaust note (and loudness).

My statement above is more of a question based upon many threads I have read and not a definitive answer. Obviously sound is subjective so people will feel differently and whatever makes each person happy is all that matters.

AtmozFear

Reaction score
I’d be curious to hear more about with/without resonators because most of what I have read from others is that deleting resonators doesn’t do much of anything to overall sound or loudness, at least not in a good way. That by removing them the change to sound is minimal at best because they only remove certain unwanted frequencies that add to potential “drone”.

Isn’t it better to either just do a muffler swap (pick muffler size/brand) and leave resonators in place OR do a full catback (which by definition removes the resonators with straight pipes)? Because by doing a hybrid (new muffler plus a resonator delete) you are messing with the airflow design since each complete exhaust system is designed to move air in a certain way and that might cause drone instead of proper exhaust note (and loudness).

My statement above is more of a question based upon many threads I have read and not a definitive answer. Obviously sound is subjective so people will feel differently and whatever makes each person happy is all that matters.

Since I have removed the resonators, I’ve notice a slight improvement in response out of the truck. By removing all of it, and eliminates a lot of flow restriction. It definitely made my truck louder and doesn’t drone at all hardly. On the freeway between 70-80, you can kind of hear it if you have no music on or anything. Once it shifts into a high gear driving through town, I don’t hear it at all until it goes into eco mode.

For some, maybe they don’t want the extra loudness or care for the tone. For me, it was exactly what I wanted, and I think it helped out overall. It’s not raspy by any means. It has a nice deep tone and sounds great through the RPM range, as well. I have a buddy with a 2019 that has a full flowmaster catback, and I like the way mine sounds over his all day long. At the end of the day, it’s all personal preference.

AtmozFear

Reaction score
I can get some revving and driving videos tomorrow, if anyone would like.

mvfjet

Reaction score
Free revving videos please!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

TEXAG

Reaction score
So that video is a magnaflow 14” muffler with the 2 resonators at the back removed AND the one in front of the muffler? Any drone in 4 cylinder mode?

AtmozFear

Reaction score
Yes. All resonators are eliminated. I was happy with the fact that it wasn’t as loud as I expected it to be. It does have a deep grumble drone when it goes into eco mode sometimes. It doesn’t bother me, though.

mvfjet

Reaction score
I ended up ordering the Borla 14" muffler. 3" in 3" out double offset. I'm hoping to get it installed this week. I'll post videos once I get it done.

mvfjet

Reaction score

Here's a very short Borla 40353 14" muffler cold start. I noticed this muffler doesn't have any packing on the inside compared to the Magnaflow so to me it sounds perfect.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
I had my local muffler shop weld in a Magnaflow 11229. I kept all resonators in place. I absolutely love the way it sounds and wouldn’t want it any louder

rebelmeg

Reaction score
Anyone have one of these on their 2019 5.7L 4x4? It's showing on the Magnaflow website that the 3" in 2.5" dual out fits our trucks. Just making sure before I order that it'll fit and if anyone has a video could you post it? Thanks.
4351f59baaf4433e06df25c45342e72f.jpg

Did anyone find the answer to this? I have a 2019 ram rebel v8 fwd and want to buy the MagnaFlow 12288 Exhaust Muffler to save some money

Ksiegel9

Reaction score
Any more magnaflow vids? I have a 2020 1500 and wanna get a low aggressive muffler. Was looking at that and the Carven cut and clamp

Users who are viewing this thread