5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lugnut size question

RT70808

Reaction score
Does anyone know the stock lugnut size and the size of the Mopar/Mcgard locking lugnut key off the top of their head?

I just got one of these to keep in the truck with my other tools for the just in case tire change and need to buy the appropriate 1/2 sockets to go with it. I don’t like being unprepared when I drive several hours towing the boat on a multi day fishing trip. I’d take the kitchen sink with me if I could.

E77D46E5-0898-47A3-95DD-2F99EF3C7576.jpeg

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While a 7/8" may work, the correct socket to use is a 22 mm. Torque to 130 Ft-Lbs (176 Nm)

Cheers,
^^Exactly what he said.
I got a 7/8" socket last weekend which does fit the lugs and the special Mopar socket just fine. There's a little play but you can torque down to 130lbs no problem with it.
I believe the 22mm would fit a little better and would have purchased that one had I known.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
7/8 = 22.225 mm, enough to bother me. I change out tires 2X a year.

Ksiegel9

Reaction score
Can I just use my impact wrench to put new lugs on or do I need a torque wrench? If so, what does the torque wrench need to be set to put lugs back onto a 2020 bighorn?

Saddlerocker

Reaction score
Anyone know if this is the same length lug nut as stock? I dont want longer lug nuts.
Id like to order black lug nuts, but most seem to be 2" long or only a 20 pack.
These say GM style, but are they the same?
(I dont have my truck handy to measure)
Screenshot_20211230-223026_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Thanks. Those look like the same ones I was looking at.
Check out the reviews. There are a lot of complaints about those lug nuts rusting. I'm sure if you live in a warm climate, they would be fine. If you live in a snowy climate, I would look elsewhere.

U

User_34235

Thanks as I did read the reviews AFTER I posted on here....DOH. I think I will stick with something else. I like the McGard ones and might go that route.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Thanks as I did read the reviews AFTER I posted on here....DOH. I think I will stick with something else. I like the McGard ones and might go that route.
I bought the McGard's because of their guarantee against rusting. As for your comment about the Amazon lug nuts color looking like chrome...the McGard black lug nuts are black chrome. It appears that is the only way to keep them from rusting. They don't quite match the matte black color of my wheels, but they sit flush with the surface of my wheels, so it's not very noticeable.

20210924_183147.jpg

Saddlerocker

Reaction score
Check out the reviews. There are a lot of complaints about those lug nuts rusting. I'm sure if you live in a warm climate, they would be fine. If you live in a snowy climate, I would look elsewhere.
Eh, yeah, I didnt read reviews because they had a 4.5 star rating. But Ill pass as well. They do seem too cheap to be any good lol. Everything is expensive for these trucks.
The stock chrome ones dont bother me too much. I dont think im paying $200 for lugnuts

Last edited:

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The black chrome that you have on your truck look sharp. I have the black OEM wheels on my truck so I am pretty sure I am going to go with the McGard ones as well. The best place I found them was on Amazon so not sure if its the same set you have or not.

Are you sure these are McGard? I've been burned more than once on amazon with knock offs. Not saying these are but doesn't look like McGard packaging. I'm not enough of an amazon sleuth to know for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread