5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lugnut size question

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The black chrome that you have on your truck look sharp. I have the black OEM wheels on my truck so I am pretty sure I am going to go with the McGard ones as well. The best place I found them was on Amazon so not sure if its the same set you have or not.

Those acorn nuts will look good on your OEM wheels. I bought the spline type because of the small lug holes on my wheels. I agree with Georgiaboy...that doesn't look like McGard packaging. I bought mine through Summit Racing.

U

User_34235

Are you sure these are McGard? I've been burned more than once on amazon with knock offs. Not saying these are but doesn't look like McGard packaging. I'm not enough of an amazon sleuth to know for sure.
The ad states they are McGard but reading the reviews has me a little skeptical. One said it doesnt fit the 2020 RAM 1500. I might look elsewhere for a set. Good catch.

Saddlerocker

Reaction score
Ram has OEM black lugnuts, im just not paying $300 for them.
The McGard dont seem any cheaper. Why not get the OEM?

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Ram has OEM black lugnuts, im just not paying $300 for them.
The McGard dont seem any cheaper. Why not get the OEM?
The McGard lug nuts are a lot cheaper. I spent $175 for 20 lug nuts and 4 locking lug nuts through Summit Racing.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
The Summit Racing website says these will not fit a 22 Ram! Looks to be the right size, anyone have a clue why they say they don't fit?
A lot of websites get confused when you enter a new model year. I bet if you enter 19-21 as the year, it will show a fit.

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A lot of websites get confused when you enter a new model year. I bet if you enter 19-21 as the year, it will show a fit.
I get the same message with '21. 2020 says it will fit. Were there any changes on the lugs between 20 and 21-22? I know 4th gen have 5 lugs vs 6 or the the 5th gen. I'll probably call next week to double check.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I get the same message with '21. 2020 says it will fit. Were there any changes on the lugs between 20 and 21-22? I know 4th gen have 5 lugs vs 6 or the the 5th gen. I'll probably call next week to double check.
Nope, no difference. 19-22 are the same.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Can I just use my impact wrench to put new lugs on or do I need a torque wrench? If so, what does the torque wrench need to be set to put lugs back onto a 2020 bighorn?

Yes, you can use an impact, but just to do the initial tightening. Finish with a torque wrench though (specs below).

View attachment 78724
I know this is an older post but I saw someone made it alive again and wanted to confirm that you CAN use a torque wrench to put on lugs IF YOU USE TORQUE LIMITING BARS.

This is what I use https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-torque-limiting-extension-bar-set-10-pc-69870.html
Note that you will lose torque using adapters so these are 1/2 inch bars so you would need to use a 1/2 socket to get proper torque.

In theory you could use a 3/8 impact wrench and use a 3/8->1/2 adapter, then bar, then 1/2 socket and you would get the correct torque (assuming your impact wrench is strong enough after the lost torque on the first adapter)

It's good to periodically test and make sure they give proper torque. I was getting within 3 ft lbs using the bars I got from harbor freight so i was very happy I no longer needed to break out the torque wrench all the time.

JRD

Reaction score
The McGard lug nuts are a lot cheaper. I spent $175 for 20 lug nuts and 4 locking lug nuts through Summit Racing.
how have the lug nuts held up? still happy with the purchase, i'm about to order the same set i think

Idahoktm

Reaction score
how have the lug nuts held up? still happy with the purchase, i'm about to order the same set i think

I was happy with them until 6 months ago when I sold the truck, but it only had 8,000 miles on it. I did my own rotations too, so I'm not sure how they hold up to impact wrenches at the tire shops.

Reactions: JRD

Users who are viewing this thread