5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lug breaker bar recommendation.

Chopperbobby

Reaction score
I had an almost brand new 1/2 inch breaker bar snap today while tight it lugs to 130 ft lbs. I only had 2 left already did the other 3 wheels and 4 lugs on the last wheel. It was a swivel head and snapped one of the arms that hold the swivel head.
need a recommendation on what you use and where to get it? i have used same type on my 2017 jeep but lugs were only 90 or 95 foot lbs.

thanks

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
husky-torque-wrenches-h2dtwa-64_600.jpg

Or something better if you prefer, but a proper torque wrench either way.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got a 1/2" Torque Wrench from China Freight years ago. I'm sure it's not very accurate, but it gets me close enough.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had an almost brand new 1/2 inch breaker bar snap today while tight it lugs to 130 ft lbs. I only had 2 left already did the other 3 wheels and 4 lugs on the last wheel. It was a swivel head and snapped one of the arms that hold the swivel head.
need a recommendation on what you use and where to get it? i have used same type on my 2017 jeep but lugs were only 90 or 95 foot lbs.

thanks
How do you "torque" wheels and get it right with a breaker bar? If you are breaking a 1/2" breaker bar, you might be a little over 130 ft/lbs

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As for recommendation, 1/2" drive electric impact and a proper torque wrench. I like my Milwaukee Fuel 18v impact.

Chopperbobby

Reaction score
I have a little box torque thing that is digital. You put it between the bar and socket. Set the torque you want then got to town. It beeps as you get close to the torque you want. Like this

i also use a ridges impact. Set it med so it gets me to about 90 ft lbs hand adjust from there
8F5E8F16-08F5-4DB4-8539-83BA8E8C34E2.png

Last edited:

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As for recommendation, 1/2" drive electric impact and a proper torque wrench. I like my Milwaukee Fuel 18v impact.
You have to be careful with the electric or air impact wrenches, they will screw up the original nuts, the nuts have like a thin metal coating and they will separate from the nut body, then the socket does not fit the nuts properly. This happened on my vans and my 2011 Ram.
The only thing I use now is a 24 inch breaker bar to remove the nuts, it does take more time. I use a Dewalt 20 to 250 ft/lb 1/2” torque wrench set at 130 lb/ft to install the nuts.

Chris VB

Reaction score
Canadian tire. Dewalt 1/2 drive torque wrench combo with crack bar $129 on sale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LouNY

Reaction score
Cordless impact with 100# torque stick, then finish with torque wrench adapter on breaker bar.
As far as the cap getting loose on the nuts, once they are loose pry them off and use a different socket that fits,
or buy some solid aftermarket lug nuts.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a little box torque thing that is digital. You put it between the bar and socket. Set the torque you want then got to town. It beeps as you get close to the torque you want. Like this

i also use a ridges impact. Set it med so it gets me to about 90 ft lbs hand adjust from there
View attachment 91997
In that case any 1/2" breaker bar should do. I'd just stick to a known brand with a hassle free lifetime warranty.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Cordless impact with 100# torque stick, then finish with torque wrench adapter on breaker bar.
As far as the cap getting loose on the nuts, once they are loose pry them off and use a different socket that fits,
or buy some solid aftermarket lug nuts.
The problem with the caps coming off is that you have to use two different sockets, the nuts will rust like crazy and the studs become exposed to atmosphere and also rust, the rust transfers to the aluminum/chrome wheels and looks like sh.t. So a few more minutes of labour goes a long way.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
You have to be careful with the electric or air impact wrenches, they will screw up the original nuts, the nuts have like a thin metal coating and they will separate from the nut body, then the socket does not fit the nuts properly. This happened on my vans and my 2011 Ram.
That's why you get rid of the crap lug nuts and buy solid ones;)

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really hate that the tire shops impact these lug nuts on and off...

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The only thing I use now is a 24 inch breaker bar to remove the nuts, it does take more time. I use a Dewalt 20 to 250 ft/lb 1/2” torque wrench set at 130 lb/ft to install the nuts.
No you don't have to be careful with them, because any responsible owner would get rid of the crappy stock lug nuts long before it becomes an issue.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No you don't have to be careful with them, because any responsible owner would get rid of the crappy stock lug nuts long before it becomes an issue.
I’ll tell you, the OEM lug nuts are way better than the required nuts that comes with some winter allow rims, those nuts come with a special socket too, very thin wall, it’s almost scary to use them.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Luckily I was checking out my 2001 Dodge Ram SLT when I came across that the tire shop left me with one of "thin metal coating and they will separate from the nut body" on my 2001 Dodge Ram SLT. Couldn't get it off because I believe it was 18 mm or something I didn't have. Went back to the tire shop and he explained the reason for the wrong size. Idiot puts it on the truck knowingly! Would have been screwed if I needed to change the tire in an emergency. Never knew anything about the lug nuts up to that point. How many things can the "professionals" screw up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online