5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

low fuel cancels out remote start solutions?

Louhound88

Reaction score
The fuel flowing through the pump is what lubricates it and helps keep it cool. It doesn't have to be submerged to stay cool. Also, it's an electric pump, most electric pumps don't get submerged.

People started claiming that running the fuel tsnkmlkw causes them to fail because they had a failure right after filling the tank up from running it lower than they normally do. A coincidence isn't evidence of an issue. Maybe it was the full tank that caused the issue. Or just high mileage. I rarely fill up before the fuel light comes in, and a lot of times let the distance to empty get pretty low as well. I have never had a fuel pump die in any vehicle I have owned, and I've put hundreds of thousands of miles on vehicles.
I've had a fuel filter fail on a 94 Chevy with over 250k miles. Pulling the pump out it seemed full of junk, as if years of tank sediment was sucked in and restricted the pump itself. Truck was probably 23 years old at the time.

So I think in most cases when fuel tanks run low and soon after a pump fails, it's when tank sediment gets pulled up in when the tank is sucked nearly dry. Not likely an issue on cars today. Also, looks like our fuel pumps do have low limit cut off switches.

Like you said, so long as the pump is still primed it won't run dry. Low tank may mean the lift pump isn't submerged, but the internal pump still has fuel to cool it.

Users who are viewing this thread