5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loud Noise on Startup

whetrick1

Reaction score
No dealer that I know of charges you while your vehicle is under warranty for something like that.

No I think so they’re blowing smoke. I’ve never been charged a fee if they couldn’t reproduced the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snakes709

Reaction score
No dealer that I know of charges you while your vehicle is under warranty for something like that.

Had it happen near the end of the winter when my air ride system **** the bed. 11 other rams there that day for the same issue and the replaced the fuse, purged the system. But fca says there is no issues with the air ride, so they charged me $130 and sent me on my way saying nothing is wrong. A day later the truck was on its bump stops. They wanted to charge me another $130 for diagnostics/taxes.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Had it happen near the end of the winter when my air ride system **** the bed. 11 other rams there that day for the same issue and the replaced the fuse, purged the system. But fca says there is no issues with the air ride, so they charged me $130 and sent me on my way saying nothing is wrong. A day later the truck was on its bump stops. They wanted to charge me another $130 for diagnostics/taxes.

Sorry to hear that man, I honestly think you got ripped off and you need to speak with RAM care that's on this forum. I would stop going to that dealer and go somewhere else as well. You have read about how so many people on this thread have been told that they couldn't replicate the problem and it was normal, I guarantee you none of them paid out of pocket for that.

I'm honestly really upset that your dealer is doing that. Never in my 25 years of new car ownership have I ever heard of a dealership charging a customer under warranty for an issue they couldn't replicate.

Snakes709

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that man, I honestly think you got ripped off and you need to speak with RAM care that's on this forum. I would stop going to that dealer and go somewhere else as well. You have read about how so many people on this thread have been told that they couldn't replicate the problem and it was normal, I guarantee you none of them paid out of pocket for that.

I'm honestly really upset that your dealer is doing that. Never in my 25 years of new car ownership have I ever heard of a dealership charging a customer under warranty for an issue they couldn't replicate.

I ended up going to another dealership. I had enough of the ****ty air ride system and decided to trade my 2016 in for a 2019. I went to that dealership but they wouldnt budge on the price at all, not on my trade in nor the new unit. Kept saying there is to many rebates and they couldnt go lower. Went to another dealership and without even negotiating the beat the price by 3k. I was still able to get them to go lower. So i brought my 2019 there. Brought it in for the restraint system recall. They also found the issue of why i have no ac but could not duplicate the knocking noise. Said they will keep that file open incase it gets worse or if any other trucks come in with that issue.

The first dealership was making so much money and screwing over so many people with air ride issues. Fca was denying warranties left right and centre. Compressors were 5+ month back ordered wo guys had no vehicles to get to work.

Falkor_99

Reaction score
Just bought my Ram 1500 on the 4th. 26 miles on it. My wife heard the noise before me but now I hear it clearly. I'm going to the dealer soon to get the truck detailed since they couldn't wash it when I was there. Should I ask them to check on the sound as well? And maybe you guys could answer this question: my AC isn't the coldest? Is that normal on Rams. Or should it be freezing?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Just bought my Ram 1500 on the 4th. 26 miles on it. My wife heard the noise before me but now I hear it clearly. I'm going to the dealer soon to get the truck detailed since they couldn't wash it when I was there. Should I ask them to check on the sound as well? And maybe you guys could answer this question: my AC isn't the coldest? Is that normal on Rams. Or should it be freezing?

Seems to be associated with pressing the brake hard when starting, I've noticed when I barely touch the brakes, no noise or also remote start.

As for the A/C, mine has been fine so far, but not ice cold, I've heard people complain it's not strong enough. I personally can't stand any heat, and I have been satisfied, but always check with the dealer if they can improve it if it bothers you.

Snakes709

Reaction score
I have the clunking noise and warm temps from my ac. My wifes suv puts out colder air just by setting her temp to low, while in traffic, compared to mine on full blast ac with recirculation on the highway.

Brought it in and the said there was a recall on the 4th gens that transfers to the new 5th gens due to a leaking bolt in the condensor which leaks out all the refrigerant. As for the clunking noise, they couldnt duplicate it and said its normal....which is bs.

Ram Jam

Reaction score
Mine does the same exact thing. It doesn't seem to effect anything but it's a little troubling that by now with so many owners having this sound on startup that all we're being told is bring it to the dealer. There's definitely some tech or factory executive that knows exactly what it is. Good or bad.

Falkor_99

Reaction score
I have the clunking noise and warm temps from my ac. My wifes suv puts out colder air just by setting her temp to low, while in traffic, compared to mine on full blast ac with recirculation on the highway.

Brought it in and the said there was a recall on the 4th gens that transfers to the new 5th gens due to a leaking bolt in the condensor which leaks out all the refrigerant. As for the clunking noise, they couldnt duplicate it and said its normal....which is bs.
So did your AC get better once they looked at it?

Snakes709

Reaction score
So did your AC get better once they looked at it?

Parts are on back order. Should have them in the next week or so....i hope, because we are driving down to las vegas and really would like ac for the 40*c temps.

Falkor_99

Reaction score
Parts are on back order. Should have them in the next week or so....i hope, because we are driving down to las vegas and really would like ac for the 40*c temps.
Oh for sure! AC will be cranked up the whole way lol. How do you like the CAI you have? That is the one I'm looking at as well.

Snakes709

Reaction score
Oh for sure! AC will be cranked up the whole way lol. How do you like the CAI you have? That is the one I'm looking at as well.
love it. Easy to install, made the engine sound alot more aggressive.

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score

Do you know what the recall number is?

Snakes709

Reaction score
Just called, still no eta on the parts. And since fca hasnt officially released a recall, no number and they need a vin for a 4th gen to see its recall.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is something to the light press on the brake when starting. If I press the brake on starting just light enough to engage the switches; no clunk. Press hard; clunk. Thanks to whomever it was that mentioned this. Must be something with the way the parking pawl engages and disengages.

retho78

Reaction score
I have 2019 Ram 1500 with 400 miles now and just heard a pop/clunk towards the rear end of the truck. My wife started the truck while I was standing outside and noticed this new sound.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
OK....New sound today.

I did the remote start about 10 feet away, and instead of the single metallic clank I would hear on occasion from the inside, I heard 3-4 metallic clanks in a row.

I'm talking about "clank, clank, clank" as the truck was staring. It sat about 24 hours before this cold start, but I've never heard it like that before. Haven't heard it again after multiple starts throughout the day, I'll wait again tomorrow and see if it happens again after another 24 hour start.

Anyone experience multiple metallic clanks instead of just one?

Falkor_99

Reaction score
OK....New sound today.

I did the remote start about 10 feet away, and instead of the single metallic clank I would hear on occasion from the inside, I heard 3-4 metallic clanks in a row.

I'm talking about "clank, clank, clank" as the truck was staring. It sat about 24 hours before this cold start, but I've never heard it like that before. Haven't heard it again after multiple starts throughout the day, I'll wait again tomorrow and see if it happens again after another 24 hour start.

Anyone experience multiple metallic clanks instead of just one?

Yeah, I hear the multiple clanks. It is hit or miss with mine about the light press on the break. I turned on the auto park break feature. Sometimes that helps as well.

MaxKZ

Reaction score
Last time I do this: I press the brake and press the start button. As soon as the dashboard lights up, I completely remove my foot from the pedal. The engine starts, there are no any clanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/