5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loud humming noise and vibration

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
@Jako Ur welcome. I hear ya. I’ve had my share of Stealership issues. It’s disappointing and sad really.

RDB

Reaction score
I've written a letter and sent it off to RAM headquarters about this issue. I've even checked into the Lemon Law here in Texas. The vehicle has to be in the shop 4 times for the same problem before I can file one. Texas DMV also suggested I send a letter to the manufacturer about this problem, which I did. Now it's just a waiting game for them to respond back to me. I'm not going to mess with it as it will void the warranty. So, I'll try a different dealer when it occurs again. Just have to save any paperwork they write up about it as evidence I took it in.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have the same thing happen in my ‘19. It usually happens when the trans is downshifting. But it’s not all of the time. The dealer can’t find the problem. It drives my wife crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've written a letter and sent it off to RAM headquarters about this issue. I've even checked into the Lemon Law here in Texas. The vehicle has to be in the shop 4 times for the same problem before I can file one. Texas DMV also suggested I send a letter to the manufacturer about this problem, which I did. Now it's just a waiting game for them to respond back to me. I'm not going to mess with it as it will void the warranty. So, I'll try a different dealer when it occurs again. Just have to save any paperwork they write up about it as evidence I took it in.
Hello everyone, we certainly understand how what you are experiencing would bring concern, and we are sorry for the trouble you've faced while addressing this with your dealers. We would like you to know that our team is available to you for support during these situations. As your advocate, we would be happy to work alongside your dealer during future servicing visits. Please do not hesitate to send us a private message for further assistance.

Kathryn
Ram Cares

Porkroll

Reaction score
Dropped my truck off Wednesday. The tech could not reproduce the sound. So they reprogrammed the truck with updates. I picked the truck up Wednesday afternoon. This morning (Friday), the sound is back. Ugh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HemiDude

Reaction score
If you want to rule out the ANC, purchase an ANC bypass. $20 at many online stores, 10 minutes of your time, totally removable if you have concerns. I got mine from Crutchfield, literally plug it in and see if it helps.

tpolitt1

Reaction score
I recently upgraded the speakers to my Big Horn and I found that it was definitely the ANC and tried to fix the problem myself. Which I did, but in the meantime, I damaged the plug to the amp after trying to just de-pin the connectors as opposed to cutting the wires. Does anyone know the part number for a new plug?

RDB

Reaction score
Update on the droning noise and vibration. After talking to several dealers I finally found one that treated me like I'm not a crazy person. The noise and vibration usually occurred when they were all closed. Well, it finally happened when they were open and I drove it straight there. The head shop foreman went on a test drive with me. We didn't make it out of the parking lot when it started making the droning noise and he could hear it. We took it on the freeway and he could hear it and feel it in the door, dash, and windshield. He agreed this was not normal.
After we got back to the dealership he put it in the garage and it up on the rack to try and isolate the problem. I explained to them this happens intermittingly and once the truck is shut off for a bit, it won't happen again for another two weeks to two months.
They said they weren't sure what was causing it. So they did an update on the Powertrain Control Module, (PCM) to see if that would eliminate the noise and vibration. I won't know if that will fix it or not, but if it happens again I'll be taking it back to them so they can try something else.
They did explain that it could be starting up in 4 cylinders on startup, but they were not sure of this since the truck does seem to have plenty power. Guess that'll be the next step if it happens again. Even though I did not purchase the truck from this dealership they have treated me with respect and they are not willing to just give up on it like the dealer did from where I bought it.

I called RAM Customer Care from the dealer and they have given me a new case number now. The lady I talked to was very polite and agreed with me this is not a normal function.

So that's twice I've had the truck in for the same problem and I have my documentation. If it goes in for the same problem two more times then I can file a Lemon Law Claim. We'll just have to wait and see if it occurs again. I hope not. LOL

HemiDude

Reaction score
Update on the droning noise and vibration. After talking to several dealers I finally found one that treated me like I'm not a crazy person. The noise and vibration usually occurred when they were all closed. Well, it finally happened when they were open and I drove it straight there. The head shop foreman went on a test drive with me. We didn't make it out of the parking lot when it started making the droning noise and he could hear it. We took it on the freeway and he could hear it and feel it in the door, dash, and windshield. He agreed this was not normal.
After we got back to the dealership he put it in the garage and it up on the rack to try and isolate the problem. I explained to them this happens intermittingly and once the truck is shut off for a bit, it won't happen again for another two weeks to two months.
They said they weren't sure what was causing it. So they did an update on the Powertrain Control Module, (PCM) to see if that would eliminate the noise and vibration. I won't know if that will fix it or not, but if it happens again I'll be taking it back to them so they can try something else.
They did explain that it could be starting up in 4 cylinders on startup, but they were not sure of this since the truck does seem to have plenty power. Guess that'll be the next step if it happens again. Even though I did not purchase the truck from this dealership they have treated me with respect and they are not willing to just give up on it like the dealer did from where I bought it.

I called RAM Customer Care from the dealer and they have given me a new case number now. The lady I talked to was very polite and agreed with me this is not a normal function.

So that's twice I've had the truck in for the same problem and I have my documentation. If it goes in for the same problem two more times then I can file a Lemon Law Claim. We'll just have to wait and see if it occurs again. I hope not. LOL
That's great that you found a dealer who will actually work with you. Here's hoping they can see it through to resolution.

RDB

Reaction score
Well everyone it's back again. This evening I drove into town, (a five mile trip), and as soon as I started the truck I could hear it again. Went ahead and drove into town and this time the check engine light came on. It would come on and then go off. I noticed that it came on whenever I started going uphill, then when I let off the accelerator it would go out. After turning the truck off and restarted it everything was back to normal. I'll be calling the dealer first thing Tuesday morning to let them know about it. Hopefully they can pull the code and see what's happening.
One more thing. All the gauges were normal, oil pressure, oil temp, coolant temp, everything was reading normal at the time it happened. I'll do another update when I find out what they say.

RDB

Reaction score
Took my truck back to the dealer one last time. They even got a code from it saying "Load Limit Exceeded". There was no load on the truck, and I've never pulled a trailer with it.
They recalibrated everything and "HOPE" that will fix the issue. I'm going to be trading it off for a different vehicle soon. So tired of this happening.

Wontonjon

Reaction score
Attached is a Technical Service Bulletin for the ANC. See if this fits your condition. Do not rely on your service advisor. I was told by my service advisor that I did not have an ANC and it was even put on my service ticket. Forwarded my build sheet which showed my ANC along with the TSB. The TSB solved my issues. If you do a search you will find a long thread on this topic. I don't find the search engine on the forum to work well for me. Use google and add 5th gen forum along with what you are searching for. Best of luck.
OMG! This is it! Thank you so much. I joined 5th Gen Rams months ago looking for solutions to not only this rhythmic drone/humming sound as well as the groaning noise when turning the steering wheel to the right.

This will hopefully solve 1 of 2 issues! Incidentally, if someone's figured out the solution to that other issue, please share!

Kevmeyer8304

Reaction score
I bought a 2019 RAM 1500 in May 2020. I noticed a loud humming noise and vibration two months after purchase. The noise is a pulsating sound so loud its almost deafening, and the doors vibrate. I also have to add this happen intermittingly. Once the truck is turned off it won't happen again for a few weeks. I called different RAM dealers and none of them had heard about it. Finally when it happened again I drove it straight to the dealer and made them test drive it. They agreed the noise is there but they didn't know what was causing it, so they referred it to the field engineer. That was in November 2020

Yesterday I finally get a call back from the dealer. They said that Chrysler sent them a bulletin about this issue and that it is normal. The noise comes from the Noise Cancellation Module and happens intermittingly, and there is nothing they will do about it. Since it's not a safety issue there isn't anything they can do about it.

I have read several threads on here about this issue and nobody has a resolution. If I'd known about it, I would have never bought the truck. I'm now considering getting rid of it, because its to loud when it happens. Hope this helps others with the same issue.
I’ve had that exact same thing happen to my 2019 Ram 1500. I though i was going crazy.

Kevmeyer8304

Reaction score
OMG! This is it! Thank you so much. I joined 5th Gen Rams months ago looking for solutions to not only this rhythmic drone/humming sound as well as the groaning noise when turning the steering wheel to the right.

This will hopefully solve 1 of 2 issues! Incidentally, if someone's figured out the solution to that other issue, please share!
Omg the turn to the right I have the same issue

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Doesn’t unplugging the amp under the drivers seat disable ANC? If so you can unplug it and drive around for awhile to see if the noise goes away.

Users who are viewing this thread