5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looks Like I've Got The Dreaded Leak Also!

DSN46

Reaction score
So I went out and removed the third brake light to look inside with a flashlight. Here is what I found:
- The headliner as far as I could reach my hand was dry.
- The bottom side of the shark fin was dry.
- No water running along the bottom edge of the CHMSL channel
- A tiny drop of water at one of the screw holes on the CHMSL itself.
- Also, no water in carpet under back seat
- Back wall dry.

I'm afraid it's above the window over on the passenger side that is leaking. Water does strange things.... It just may be the CHMSL, but I just can't tell.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I went out and removed the third brake light to look inside with a flashlight. Here is what I found:
- Back wall dry.

I'm afraid it's above the window over on the passenger side that is leaking. Water does strange things.... It just may be the CHMSL, but I just can't tell.
If you found water on one of the screw holes, others have found this to be a source of leaks. If you want to try and fix it yourself, get some weather stripping, replace existing on light and when you reinstall, seal around the screws with something. Fixed my problem.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
- Back wall dry.

I really found little evidence of water intrusion around the CHMSL but since I was already there, I sealed it. At the time my headliner was dry as was the bottom of the shark fin. Given the pattern of wetness that I've seen on my headliner, I have a hard time believing that the intrusion is coming from anywhere other than above. The surround wouldn't allow water to go physically up into the headliner nor would there be the amount of water allowed through that would have created the water stain that I've seen. I guess when I drop the headliner today, I'll see

DSN46

Reaction score
I really found little evidence of water intrusion around the CHMSL but since I was already there, I sealed it. At the time my headliner was dry as was the bottom of the shark fin. Given the pattern of wetness that I've seen on my headliner, I have a hard time believing that the intrusion is coming from anywhere other than above. The surround wouldn't allow water to go physically up into the headliner nor would there be the amount of water allowed through that would have created the water stain that I've seen. I guess when I drop the headliner today, I'll see
It is certainly hard to pinpoint. Let us know what you find when you drop the headliner.... and good luck!

TBfshr

Reaction score
I was hoping, wishing, and performing sacred rituals in hopes that my 2020 didn't leak in the window area..... alas, I'm now a victim of it also. To say I'm "not happy" is an understatement at best. Looks like I'm about to walk down that long trail of jacking with a dealer to get this fixed.... but as others have experienced it may not be permanent. It only rained light rain today and the pics show what started. I may be taking the monetary loss and ditching this truck.
That's how mine started on my previous truck. First it was noticeable. Then after The 1st attempt It wasn't visible but the carpet was getting wet.
Long story short after 3 back windshield replacements,2 -3rd brake light and gasket replacements it leaked worse than when I brought it in!
Don't buy a Nissan Titan!!!
Hopefully you don't have to go through what I did. 2 months with out a truck and a compact car as a loaner.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

BowDown

Reaction score
Well, Shark Fin ain't the source.

20210314_151640.jpg
Looking from outside the sliding window inside to forward left

20210314_151630.jpg
Outside looking inside sliding window forward, Shark Fin bolt is to the right of the red wire

20210314_151440.jpg
Driver side rear door looking towards passenger side

20210314_151408.jpg
Driver rear door looking towards the passenger side more light.

The only thing I can see is that the CHMSL is right above and to the right of where I have intrusion. Going to relook at the CHMSL again but nothing shows signs of water intrusion from the top

Attachments

• 20210314_151630.jpg
    20210314_151630.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210314_151440.jpg
    20210314_151440.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 22

DSN46

Reaction score
Well, Shark Fin ain't the source.

View attachment 85695
Looking from outside the sliding window inside to forward left

View attachment 85696
Outside looking inside sliding window forward, Shark Fin bolt is to the right of the red wire

View attachment 85697
Driver side rear door looking towards passenger side

View attachment 85700
Driver rear door looking towards the passenger side more light.

The only thing I can see is that the CHMSL is right above and to the right of where I have intrusion. Going to relook at the CHMSL again but nothing shows signs of water intrusion from the top
Thank you for checking this out. I've just replaced the gasket on my CHMSL with one like has been posted in these forums already from Lowe's. Much better, tighter fit to the body where the light is mounted. Supposed to rain here for the next few days so I will have the chance to test it for sure. Hoping that was it for me. (Still have that gloom and doom feeling though).

Nova90

Reaction score
Thank you for checking this out. I've just replaced the gasket on my CHMSL with one like has been posted in these forums already from Lowe's. Much better, tighter fit to the body where the light is mounted. Supposed to rain here for the next few days so I will have the chance to test it for sure. Hoping that was it for me. (Still have that gloom and doom feeling though).
Hopefully, that will fix it!

BowDown

Reaction score

I have not replaced the gasket, I put an additional seal around the gasket area to make the gasket even tighter. If this doesn't work then I'll completely replace the gasket with a new seal

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you for checking this out. I've just replaced the gasket on my CHMSL with one like has been posted in these forums already from Lowe's. Much better, tighter fit to the body where the light is mounted.

Link to Lowe’s gasket?

DSN46

Reaction score
Update:
After replacing the factory seal around the CHMSL with the one I bought from Lowe's, I parked the truck out in a steady (sometimes very hard) rain for roughly 2.5 hours. I just pulled it back into garage and checked and there is no sign of water intrusion around the headliner or window. No drops forming. I will take this cursory test as a positive since the last time it leaked it was only sitting in a light rain for about 1 hour before it leaked and this time, after 2.5 hours of harder rain it did not. I will keep an eye on it over the course of the next two days as it is supposed keep raining non-stop here. Hoping I've addressed the issue so far. This, of course, does not mean that my rear window won't start leaking in the future.

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
Update:
After replacing the factory seal around the CHMSL with the one I bought from Lowe's, I parked the truck out in a steady (sometimes very hard) rain for roughly 2.5 hours. I just pulled it back into garage and checked and there is no sign of water intrusion around the headliner or window. No drops forming. I will take this cursory test as a positive since the last time it leaked it was only sitting in a light rain for about 1 hour before it leaked and this time, after 2.5 hours of harder rain it did not. I will keep an eye on it over the course of the next two days as it is supposed keep raining non-stop here. Hoping I've addressed the issue so far. This, of course, does not mean that my rear window won't start leaking in the future.
Update:
Hey DSN46,

I didn’t get further on any future updates. Has you linking problem been solved to date? I have a leak I’m hoping with from the 3rd brake light. I do not have a we headliner. All I have is a very small amount of water leaking fro the passenger side until corner of the rear window, as seen I. My photo.

move also attached a photo showing you the saturation of the foam seal on he original brake light housing. Perhaps you noticed yours at the time of leaking being the same?

appreciate any update. Thanks.

Attachments

• 1FFB20F3-F0BB-49ED-8310-66D6B48BDEDB.jpeg
    1FFB20F3-F0BB-49ED-8310-66D6B48BDEDB.jpeg
    52.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 6BDC0AFF-A329-47FC-ADA9-8CCACCA1AF6D.jpeg
    6BDC0AFF-A329-47FC-ADA9-8CCACCA1AF6D.jpeg
    215.3 KB · Views: 44

DSN46

Reaction score
Hey DSN46,

I didn’t get further on any future updates. Has you linking problem been solved to date? I have a leak I’m hoping with from the 3rd brake light. I do not have a we headliner. All I have is a very small amount of water leaking fro the passenger side until corner of the rear window, as seen I. My photo.

move also attached a photo showing you the saturation of the foam seal on he original brake light housing. Perhaps you noticed yours at the time of leaking being the same?

appreciate any update. Thanks.
No problem. It has been raining here for the past two days (sometimes pretty hard) so I took it out of the garage to the driveway all day both days... no leaks to be found. So.... it is still good at this point. Hoping it stays that way. :)

Chrisburgess72

Reaction score
No problem. It has been raining here for the past two days (sometimes pretty hard) so I took it out of the garage to the driveway all day both days... no leaks to be found. So.... it is still good at this point. Hoping it stays that way. :)
Awesome, was your leak in the
- Back wall dry.

DSN46 did you have water drops in the upper passages corner of the rear window at all? Thanks.

DSN46

Reaction score
Awesome, was your leak in the

DSN46 did you have water drops in the upper passages corner of the rear window at all? Thanks.
No. The drops in mine were hanging down about half way between the sliding window and the passenger side corner. But... if enough water leaked into a truck through the brake light assembly, I would think that it would make it to the corner for sure.

Stryker6040

Reaction score
Just got the leak myself 2019 Laramie cc no issues until this weekend, purchased November 2019

Stryker6040

Reaction score
Just got the leak myself 2019 Laramie cc no issues until this weekend, purchased November 2019
I removed the factory chmsl this weekend and removed the oem seal to put on the MD seal people have had luck with. it has a nice tight seal, gave it a water test and still got water under rear seat and wet carpet. not seeing a wet headliner, top of seat or drips along the top of the window frame.

No issues since new until last week, has me stumped at this point, any other suggestions?

DSN46

Reaction score
I removed the factory chmsl this weekend and removed the oem seal to put on the MD seal people have had luck with. it has a nice tight seal, gave it a water test and still got water under rear seat and wet carpet. not seeing a wet headliner, top of seat or drips along the top of the window frame.

No issues since new until last week, has me stumped at this point, any other suggestions?
There have been some who have had only wet carpets who found that the rear pressure vents behind the back seat were leaking. It's a possibility.

Stryker6040

Reaction score
There have been some who have had only wet carpets who found that the rear pressure vents behind the back seat were leaking. It's a possibility.
Ill have to take a look at those, any good way to get at them? do they installed from the inside to outside or vice versa?

Users who are viewing this thread