5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for truck bed lights

mike90

Reaction score
Looking for a pretty simple install truck bed light. Since I have a hard tonneau cover, I would like something to light up the bed even when the cover is closed. Would prefer something wireless, battery operated, that I can just easily click a switch on when I open the tail. Nothing too fancy. Thanks in advance!

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Amazon has a lot of led strips kits available

I wired mine into the existing bed lights (which don’t light much) so now everything comes on when open tailgate or hit the unlock button

mike90

Reaction score
Amazon has a lot of led strips kits available

I wired mine into the existing bed lights (which don’t light much) so now everything comes on when open tailgate or hit the unlock button
I don't have any existing bed lighting in my truck? Where exactly did you wire it to?

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't have any existing bed lighting in my truck? Where exactly did you wire it to?

I popped the optional bed lights installed by the dealer and spliced into those wires

You have a cargo light about the bed/rear window. That light is wired to the tailgate opening/closing
Just need to find that wire!

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
I keep a headlamp in the truck. It's wireless, battery operated, click of a button, powerful, requires no install, and you have both hands free. Just a thought.

Glenn54

Reaction score
I’ve used this on past trucks. Works well

Truxedo 1704998 Truck Luggage B-Light Battery Powered 18" Tonneau Lighting System All Vehicles - Truck Luggage - Battery Powered truck bed lighting system 18",Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BKWTGHK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_Y4BX6C1QDZCGP1GD16RZ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is what I used as well. It works pretty good but I'd need to add another to the front part of the bed if I frequently needed light in the back and front of the bed.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I popped the optional bed lights installed by the dealer and spliced into those wires

You have a cargo light about the bed/rear window. That light is wired to the tailgate opening/closing
Just need to find that wire!
There are few posts about that wire. I installed the factory Mopar bed lights and used a YouTube video that shows how to wire it so you don't have to take it to the dealer to activate it.

mike90

Reaction score
There are few posts about that wire. I installed the factory Mopar bed lights and used a YouTube video that shows how to wire it so you don't have to take it to the dealer to activate it.
The wire has to go all the way into the cab right?

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The wire has to go all the way into the cab right?
Yes. There are plugs that you use to get access to inside the cab. It's pretty easy and in my opinion it doesn't look bad at all if you zip tie it up around the other wire harnesses.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you want more of a permanent solution with the hardwiring I used the same kit @Andymax linked to. Combine that with the Curt harness that adds a 5 pin to your 7 pin, and you don't even have to splice into the wires. Just connect the Curt harness behind the bumper after you've wired everything up.

gwatt86

Reaction score
This is what I used as well. It works pretty good but I'd need to add another to the front part of the bed if I frequently needed light in the back and front of the bed.
You have any pics of yours installed? Also, how often do you change batteries? For my use, I wouldn't have this on for more than 5-10 minutes but I'm guessing the hot/cold would wear the batteries down more than use.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Don't think for a minute that either splicing into the trailer hitch wiring, or using one of those Curt adapters is even remotely difficult. It's easy.

I used the time-delay relay specifically because I know I would accidentally forget to shut it off, thus killing the battery, plus I didnt want to have to have the key handy to turn it on.

Just saying, this is not a difficult job if you even remotely handy.

Glenn54

Reaction score
You have any pics of yours installed? Also, how often do you change batteries? For my use, I wouldn't have this on for more than 5-10 minutes but I'm guessing the hot/cold would wear the batteries down more than use.
IMG_4789.jpg IMG_4790.jpg

mike90

Reaction score
If you want more of a permanent solution with the hardwiring I used the same kit @Andymax linked to. Combine that with the Curt harness that adds a 5 pin to your 7 pin, and you don't even have to splice into the wires. Just connect the Curt harness behind the bumper after you've wired everything up.

Do you have a link to the Curt harness you’re speaking of?

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Do you have a link to the Curt harness you’re speaking of?

curt 56584 or 56070
56584 is for 5 wires and 56070 is for 7 wires. If you use the 7 it will give you an auxiliary "hot" wire but you will have to shorten the wires as the 56070 is used for a fifth wheel.

Last edited:

mike90

Reaction score
curt 56584 or 56070
56584 is for 5 wires and 56070 is for 7 wires. If you use the 7 it will give you an auxiliary "hot" wire but you will have to shorten the wires as the 56070 is used for a fifth wheel.

Thanks for the link! Can you define what auxiliary hot is? Is that where it only comes on when the truck is on? I assume I wouldn’t want that if I wanted to turn the bed lights in when the truck is off. So which wire did you wind up connecting your lights to. I want to avoid draining my battery as well in case I left them on. Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/