5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for spare fuse slot

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looking for spare fuse slot in the front fuse box under the hood to power my grill led's. Unless I'm doing something wrong all the slots appear to have no voltage/connection. I prefer to tap use an unused slot instead of tapping into existing fuse. Did ram only wire the slots they were using?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I used the studs. There are 7-8 of them right beside the fuse box. Second one from firewall doesn't have anything on it so I hooked my wire up to this and put my own fuse on it.

Shutupandboard

Reaction score
Looking for spare fuse slot in the front fuse box under the hood to power my grill led's. Unless I'm doing something wrong all the slots appear to have no voltage/connection. I prefer to tap use an unused slot instead of tapping into existing fuse. Did ram only wire the slots they were using?

I would like to do the same thing. Did you ever find out which fuse only comes on when you start the truck? I have an add-a-fuse.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What are these studs? I had same issue and don’t have a fuse tap that uses 3 blade. A pic to understand would be great please and thx.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score

You are correct. They did not run any wires to the unused fuse slots. I went through the Fuse Box with a fine tooth comb (Multi-Meter) and was unable to find a slot.

I ended up using the F60 fuse.

This fuse works with the ignition switch. Most of the fuses have power all of the time. The F60 Fuse : ECM / PCM / ACT Short Running Valve.

Since this is a critical fuse I decided to use a fuse tap so that the tap was clean.
Our trucks use the Micro 2 Fuse
You can pick one up here: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LFXA5YQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are some pics of the install:
Ram Fuse Box Layout.jpg

RAM Fuse Box.jpg

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What are these studs? I had same issue and don’t have a fuse tap that uses 3 blade. A pic to understand would be great please and thx.
The studs are highlighted in this picture in yellow.

They provide 12V positive power from the battery at all times.
RAM Fuse Box_Post.png
This is a fuse tap.
It is important that you put the original fuse in the load position when you use a fuse tap.

Fuse Tap.jpg

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ah thank you for that I was talking the fuse box under the dash in the truck. Dash cam and which controller power.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
well guys...uh which is the headlight fuse :unsure: ?,,,i think it would be F55&f61?just asking .just in case!

bigtymetexan

Reaction score
F55 and F61 are empty fuse slots. Not sure the HIDs use traditional fuses. Correct?

whetrick1

Reaction score
You are correct. They did not run any wires to the unused fuse slots. I went through the Fuse Box with a fine tooth comb (Multi-Meter) and was unable to find a slot.

I ended up using the F60 fuse.

This fuse works with the ignition switch. Most of the fuses have power all of the time. The F60 Fuse : ECM / PCM / ACT Short Running Valve.

Since this is a critical fuse I decided to use a fuse tap so that the tap was clean.
Our trucks use the Micro 2 Fuse
You can pick one up here: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LFXA5YQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are some pics of the install:
Ram Fuse Box Layout.jpg

RAM Fuse Box.jpg

Autozone sales them too. That's where I got mine for around 5 dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I went back and think the slide over Tap style from velds would not work as the mini and micro 2 fuse blades look to have a different width. The bottom pic which is the taps I was able to buy local sandwich from the bottom of the blade and up there’s no hole to put the blade of the fuse through.
the total height of the taps I purchased worked fine and fit over the blades of the micro2 fine. Not a lot of options with the fuse panel under dash it’s missing extra spots to use.

raminuk

Reaction score
The studs are highlighted in this picture in yellow.

They provide 12V positive power from the battery at all times.
View attachment 58677

that's a great help for my project, I trust adding a light feed from here will nor effect any of the ram electronics at all. i worry about my truck going crazy again.

is there a ignition switched supply inhere too, something that i could connect to without effecting any other systems, i prefer to not us a tap, the 12v supply to the 12vpower on the dash would be a good one, it could then energise my system when the truck is on

thanks

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
that's a great help for my project, I trust adding a light feed from here will nor effect any of the ram electronics at all. i worry about my truck going crazy again.

is there a ignition switched supply inhere too, something that i could connect to without effecting any other systems, i prefer to not us a tap, the 12v supply to the 12vpower on the dash would be a good one, it could then energise my system when the truck is on

thanks
F66 comes on with the ignition.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score

thanks
I tried tapping into fuse 35 under the hood to install my amber running lights last night. I wired them up and had power, but my truck went into “anti theft mode” and wouldn’t actually attempt to crank over. I reverted everything, let the negative battery terminal off for 20 mins, went for a drive then with the check engine light on. Then shut it down and turned the truck back on and the check engine light was off, everything fine now. Not sure why this happened? I’ve tapped into the fuse box under the steering wheel for my radar detector and didn’t have any issues then.

Users who are viewing this thread