5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for spare fuse slot

raminuk

Reaction score
I tried tapping into fuse 35 under the hood to install my amber running lights last night. I wired them up and had power, but my truck went into “anti theft mode” and wouldn’t actually attempt to crank over. I reverted everything, let the negative battery terminal off for 20 mins, went for a drive then with the check engine light on. Then shut it down and turned the truck back on and the check engine light was off, everything fine now. Not sure why this happened? I’ve tapped into the fuse box under the steering wheel for my radar detector and didn’t have any issues then.

These new RAM s are fussy

am thinking of adding a voltage sensing relay and a new positive terminal from the batt and having a separate fuse box completely, straight to the battery

the volt sensing relay will drive ignition related devices

trucks are getting too complicated, would want to be offloading in this one, where all you have is a few fuses, steel wire and tie wraps.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These new RAM s are fussy

am thinking of adding a voltage sensing relay and a new positive terminal from the batt and having a separate fuse box completely, straight to the battery

the volt sensing relay will drive ignition related devices

trucks are getting too complicated, would want to be offloading in this one, where all you have is a few fuses, steel wire and tie wraps.
My solution was to install an Auxiliary Battery to handle my accessories.

See Thread Here:

RamBuilt2serve

Reaction score
You are correct. They did not run any wires to the unused fuse slots. I went through the Fuse Box with a fine tooth comb (Multi-Meter) and was unable to find a slot.

I ended up using the F60 fuse.

This fuse works with the ignition switch. Most of the fuses have power all of the time. The F60 Fuse : ECM / PCM / ACT Short Running Valve.

Since this is a critical fuse I decided to use a fuse tap so that the tap was clean.
Our trucks use the Micro 2 Fuse
You can pick one up here: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LFXA5YQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are some pics of the install:
Ram Fuse Box Layout.jpg

RAM Fuse Box.jpg

Thanks for posting this information. Going to tap my aero LightShield bar in this manner. Any issues so far?

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this information. Going to tap my aero LightShield bar in this manner. Any issues so far?
I have been rolling with this setup for over 20K with no problems and no error codes. (y)

Just make sure that your Aero LightShield bar is not pulling over 20 Amps. o_O

2020NobleLaramie

Reaction score
You are correct. They did not run any wires to the unused fuse slots. I went through the Fuse Box with a fine tooth comb (Multi-Meter) and was unable to find a slot.

This fuse works with the ignition switch. Most of the fuses have power all of the time. The F60 Fuse : ECM / PCM / ACT Short Running Valve.

Since this is a critical fuse I decided to use a fuse tap so that the tap was clean.
You can pick one up here: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LFXA5YQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are some pics of t

Ram Fuse Box Layout.jpg

RAM Fuse Box.jpg
Did you throw any codes or have any sort of problems after tapping into the F60 fuse?

wacopolumbo

Reaction score

Ram Fuse Box Layout.jpg

RAM Fuse Box.jpg
Thank you! I used your advice and recommended fuse tap to wire the LED lights in my faux TRX grill.

Tommyboy59

Reaction score

Ram Fuse Box Layout.jpg

RAM Fuse Box.jpg
Have you had any issues using the tap fuse? F 60?

Tommyboy59

Reaction score

Ram Fuse Box Layout.jpg

RAM Fuse Box.jpg

Tommyboy59

Reaction score
No, The tap has been clean and have not thrown any codes since the install which was 2 years ago.

If you are using a fuse tap make sure that you put the original fuse that came out closest to the circuit tap.
What fuse did you tap into.

2020NobleLaramie

Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea what fuse controls the fog lights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wingz13

Reaction score
Agree ZombieSlayer, I found that site very helpful yesterday when my trailer running lights popped a fuse and I lost my cameras.

DBJr

Reaction score
I tried tapping into fuse 35 under the hood to install my amber running lights last night. I wired them up and had power, but my truck went into “anti theft mode” and wouldn’t actually attempt to crank over. I reverted everything, let the negative battery terminal off for 20 mins, went for a drive then with the check engine light on. Then shut it down and turned the truck back on and the check engine light was off, everything fine now. Not sure why this happened? I’ve tapped into the fuse box under the steering wheel for my radar detector and didn’t have any issues then.
What fuse did you tap into?

Users who are viewing this thread