5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for spare fuse slot

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
What fuse did you tap into?

I’d like to know which non critical druses could be use for on with ignition and on with park lights.

Last edited:

Puckstopper55

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does f60 power up when you click unlock on the key fob? I know some of my exterior lights come on when I do this and I’d like to tap that circuit for some grill mounted LEDs.

jrw921

Reaction score
You are correct. They did not run any wires to the unused fuse slots. I went through the Fuse Box with a fine tooth comb (Multi-Meter) and was unable to find a slot.

I ended up using the F60 fuse.

This fuse works with the ignition switch. Most of the fuses have power all of the time. The F60 Fuse : ECM / PCM / ACT Short Running Valve.

Since this is a critical fuse I decided to use a fuse tap so that the tap was clean.
Our trucks use the Micro 2 Fuse
You can pick one up here: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LFXA5YQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are some pics of the install:
Ram Fuse Box Layout.jpg

RAM Fuse Box.jpg
4 years later and still having the same problem. I am trying to install some LEDS and I have spent hours trying to find a circuit that is key operated. All have no power or 24/7 power.
Very frustrating and I cannot believe all the empty slots in this thing. Hardly any choices. Soooo, tomorrow I will try the F60 location as you suggest. Fingers crossed.

Attachments

• fuse cover.jpg
    fuse cover.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 19
  • engine fuse block.jpg
    engine fuse block.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 16

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tapped off f12 and it only comes in when my parking lights or headlights are switched on. IMG_0305.jpeg

jrw921

Reaction score
I tapped off f12 and it only comes in when my parking lights or headlights are switched on. View attachment 176326
Thanks for the info. I am trying to use a fuse tap, so I am limited to the Micro 2 fuses. F12 is an odd size. Did you just stick the power wire in the slot with the fuse blade?

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes I did. The LED lights draw such a minute amount of amperage and coupled with the fact that I don’t often tow or hook up my trailer, I’m confident that fuse can handle the power without issue.

jrw921

Reaction score
Yes I did. The LED lights draw such a minute amount of amperage and coupled with the fact that I don’t often tow or hook up my trailer, I’m confident that fuse can handle the power without issue.
sounds great, thanks for the assist

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
My notes say F44 would be a good choice for power with the ignition for DRLs

jrw921

Reaction score
Nevermind, its empty.
That is the problem, a LOT of empty slots under the hood. Not many choices, and I hate the idea of running wire thru the firewall into the cabin. Not worth the work.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
4 years later and still having the same problem. I am trying to install some LEDS and I have spent hours trying to find a circuit that is key operated. All have no power or 24/7 power.
Very frustrating and I cannot believe all the empty slots in this thing. Hardly any choices. Soooo, tomorrow I will try the F60 location as you suggest. Fingers crossed.
I have been running this setup since I posted 4 years ago without any issues.

jrw921

Reaction score
I have been running this setup since I posted 4 years ago without any issues.
A lot of great information here on fuse names and locations. Got all that. But, just out of curiosity, has anyone posted a list of fuses by number AND power supply? Some of the fuse names and what they supposedly do is very confusing and technical jargon. A simple #'d list of "always on", "ignition on", and "engine on" fuses would really be helpful. Seems to be a little secret code that everyone is trying to break.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Here's a list of what i've gathered so far

On with ignition
F01 - fuel pump
F38 - Drive Train Controller Module
F44 - trailer camera (if equipped)
F60 - ECU

On with headlights
F11 - ID/Clearance Lights - If Equipped
F12 - Trailer Tow Park Lamp (tap into wire)

Tap into front marker lights (LED)
On the 16-way connector that is plugged into the driver side headlight, it is the white wire with brown stripe in position 13. On the connector that is plugged into the passenger side headlight, it is the white wire with orange stripe in position 13.

Puckstopper55

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a list of what i've gathered so far

On with ignition
F01 - fuel pump
F38 - Drive Train Controller Module
F44 - trailer camera (if equipped)
F60 - ECU

On with headlights
F11 - ID/Clearance Lights - If Equipped
F12 - Trailer Tow Park Lamp (tap into wire)

Tap into front marker lights (LED)
On the 16-way connector that is plugged into the driver side headlight, it is the white wire with brown stripe in position 13. On the connector that is plugged into the passenger side headlight, it is the white wire with orange stripe in position 13.
Great info. I’m hesitant to tap off of the 16way connector as I’d be drawing power from that circuit rather than adding a new circuit. My LED lights will be drawing about 1A DC, so I guess I’ll just have to go with F60 and settle for it running when it’s in ACC or Run

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Great info. I’m hesitant to tap off of the 16way connector as I’d be drawing power from that circuit rather than adding a new circuit. My LED lights will be drawing about 1A DC, so I guess I’ll just have to go with F60 and settle for it running when it’s in ACC or Run
That’s probably what I’m going to do too. I want them as DRLs. Just wish I could find a less critical fuse, but everything else is empty because I don’t have those options on my truck

frisby5

Reaction score
If LED, I believe they and the headlights come straight from the BCM. No fuse
What if Halogen? Im gettng ready to swap grilles with led lights looking to do this mod. Was wondering if they can be turned on with fog lights.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
What if Halogen? Im gettng ready to swap grilles with led lights looking to do this mod. Was wondering if they can be turned on with fog lights.
Not sure about halogens. Sry. Hopefully someone else can chime in

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Gonna have to tap into the fog light wire if that’s the case.

Users who are viewing this thread