5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for advice on two options - sunroof and e-Torque

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The only way you can answer this is just go drive them and see what you think.

Personally:
1. E-torque adds at least a little bit of complexity, so for that reason I would vote no. Every 'improvement' comes with some corresponding consequence. Vehicles are already too complex in my opinion. Anecdotal evidence says they save maybe 1-2 MPG. You'd have to do a lot of driving and gas would have to get real expensive to ever make up the ~$1k on it. If you drove 100,000 miles in 10 years and got 20MPG with etorque and 18 without, and gas was $4/gallon, factoring in inflation, you'd just about be breaking even.
2. Sunroof: I never use them. One more thing to leak on a vehicle. Removes some overhead crush protection in a flip. Chances are that would never affect you but you never know.

fourbg

Reaction score
Man, you all are awesome!! I really appreciate the different perspectives and real world experience.

I wasn't throwing price into the mix as I just wanted to know thoughts without that influencing anything.

However, I did notice that the 2020 e-Torque is only a $200 price increase over the 5.7 Hemi. If you believe the EPA sticker, that means in two years of average driving you've made up the difference in price. And I specifically asked the dealer about which engines are being built for dealers and ordered. He said by far FCA is pushing out e-Torque engines. This was confirmed over the past couple of weeks where I've notice how few non e-Torque trucks are available in 2020 - at least for the Rebel. Makes those rapidly vanishing 2019 Rebels more intriguing.

We did drive identical trucks with both engines, and I had a hard time telling the difference. Other than the start stop was noticeably smoother. As many have noted, I too am deeply worried about "new" technology. But right now it appears that fear is just that, a fear. Not much real world horror stories on this website, or any other for that matter.

As for the sunroof, while we are not in the high heat of Arizona, Florida, or Texas, there is lots of opportunity for solar gain. And the "screen" doesn't seem to offer much insulation. I'll have to do some more research about tinting. It seems like more than a few of you have done that. And the thread "What Have You Done to Your Ram Today" has lots of thoughts on that modification.

In short thanks again to all who responded. We plan to make a decision within the week and I'll post back on what we decided!

I hope to soon be able to contribute based on our personal experience.

Mike Brigagliano

Reaction score
I thought the etorque was only like 700 dollars more than the hemi...
I have a new Laramie 4x4 with eTorque and in the first 1000 miles I am averaging 13.2 mpg and I am driving super gentle to break in the truck. My 2017 Ram consistently average 15.7mpg without eTorque... Only Plus to eTorque is the smoother start / stop function. It really is pretty smooth. Hoping the gas mileage catches up, but I can't recommend buying it.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a new Laramie 4x4 with eTorque and in the first 1000 miles I am averaging 13.2 mpg and I am driving super gentle to break in the truck. My 2017 Ram consistently average 15.7mpg without eTorque... Only Plus to eTorque is the smoother start / stop function. It really is pretty smooth. Hoping the gas mileage catches up, but I can't recommend buying it.
Stop babying it and drive and your mileage will improve some. I get my best mileage when I take off from lights quick and get up to speed then maintain speed. Long periods of slow acceleration don’t help the mpg at all.

ppowell1983

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram Limited 1500 and the panoramic roof is the best freakin option on the truck. I would highly recommend it. I also did not get the eTorque because it's too new of a technology and I want to see how well it works before investing in it.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It'll get a lot better as it breaks in. Mine has improved 3-4mpg over 10,000km

jonnyt

Reaction score
I have both, I enjoy both. The sunroof lets you change the whole feel of the pickup. Closed, shade open, or open air. As far as the E-torque. I tested both, without knowing it, and could tell the difference in the take off. I would do both again if I had to replace, without going diesel.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Since the thread was resurrected...

I got a fully loaded Limited - with both pano-roof and etorque. They were both the options on all the trucks I looked at, that met my other criteria. So I got "stuck" with them. If I had the patience to "custom order" and wait for delivery - I might have opted out on BOTH, just from a cost perspective.

Here in SoFla - I RARELY even put back the cover on the sun-roof during the day - the "radiant heat" coming off the glass, is just too annoying. And even with limo tint (which I got on my last car), the glass gets hot enough to still be annoying. I may use the vent function at night - but I also have a tendency to "forget" I have if open - which doesn't bode well if it rains overnight. The beneficial feature on this truck - if you close the shade, it closes any open glass. So - remember the shade and you won't get rained on.

Etorque: truck is still too new to see any MPG benefit from it. If find the stop/start to be an annoyance - so I hit the button the first time it triggers on every drive. If the only MPG benefit is from stop/start - then it's going to be a wash for me anyways. Do like the regen braking - it takes a second to get used to, but will likely benefit me in longevity for the pads/rotors.

Rick

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Do not get either
I can agree with the 26 gallon being a bit small. My F150 had 34 and I really liked that. Unsure why dealers dont order the bigger tank in on their lot trucks. Thats the main thing I miss.

As far as the pano, I got one only because the dealer didn't have a Limited without it. I never use it. My son bought 2 months later from the same place and they had a Ltd without it, lucky for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cueva del Osos

Reaction score
I have Ltd factory order with E-Torque and without pano. Happy everyday with both decisions! The E-Torque does make off on idle seamless in my truck (no jerk on quick acceleration). I've previously had sunroofs for the vent value on hot days, but with the rear window, I figured that was my vent option to quickly change out the air in the cab. I skipped the pano and wouldn't go back for anything. The ambient solar heat in northern NM coming thru a sunroof always made me keep the shade closed and the AC on max (goes for Honda, Acura & Subaru I've owned since living here)

BAMA RAMMER

Reaction score
I've done lots of searching on the forum and haven't gotten a clear answer on two choices that my wife (and I) are trying to decide about.

We are shopping for a Rebel 12. We have found two that meet all of her required criteria. However, one offers a sunroof and the other e-Torque. For all of you that have shopped, driven, and purchased a Rebel would you choose one of these over the other? Or would you prefer to have neither of them (exploding sunroof/unknown nature of this e-Torque engine, etc)?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
I heard that the sunroof leaks and rattles. The e-Torque scares me because of the reliability of Mopar after the warranty has expired ! The generator costs $750 (looked it up) and don’t know what the 48v battery costs ! I would steer clear of both, Also, avoid the 12” radio... they have issues of going blank and also the air suspension is problematic after a year or two !!! Glad my 2019 Ram has none !!!

klail

Reaction score
I heard that the sunroof leaks and rattles. The e-Torque scares me because of the reliability of Mopar after the warranty has expired ! The generator costs $750 (looked it up) and don’t know what the 48v battery costs ! I would steer clear of both, Also, avoid the 12” radio... they have issues of going blank and also the air suspension is problematic after a year or two !!! Glad my 2019 Ram has none !!!
My sunroof hasn't leaked or rattled but I am sure individual experiences will vary. On a lot of them they didn't install the drain plugs properly but that is an easy fix and to me it was well worth the additional light and open feel. Again, individual experiences can vary.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
Sounds like you got a pretty basic truck. That’s not for everyone...

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No leaks or rattles in mine thus far (14 months). 8 year / 80K mile warranty on eTorque components, so the parts could be dirt cheap by the time you’d need to purchase them yourself. Happy to have both.

wpm1960

Reaction score
Have the sunroof on my Long Horn and love it. Don't open it fully very often but slide the shade or vent all the time. People in the back love it when you open the shade all the way. I had mine tinted with ceramic which helped with heat, but using sun shade on windshield when parked helped the most with heat in the summer.

bennekm

Reaction score
If you are using your truck to tow heavy loads don’t get the etorque...it lowers all your capacities. I think it is a little quicker off the line though.

That being said, the pano-sunroof is incredible and coming from a Wrangler I really appreciate it. I would personally chose that over the etorque. I would be concerned the etorque is going to hurt resale down the road or narrow the buyer because of lost capacity.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
If you are using your truck to tow heavy loads don’t get the etorque...it lowers all your capacities. I think it is a little quicker off the line though.

That being said, the pano-sunroof is incredible and coming from a Wrangler I really appreciate it. I would personally chose that over the etorque. I would be concerned the etorque is going to hurt resale down the road or narrow the buyer because of lost capacity.
I’d think it would be the opposite, ET would be worth the weight penalty for towing while the pano does nothing for towing and is heavy. Just shows how option choices vary. Doubt we’d all agree on any single option as being absolutely necessary. My only votes for that would be 33 gallon and the hemi. Even the 3.92 I could do without (and I do).

Users who are viewing this thread