5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking at this truck, good deal?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I see one downside to this truck... the fuel tank size.
If it's only used for short hops or doesn't get driven a lot then that might be an extra cost that the OP isn't interested in.

All trucks should have the biggest tanks that they can fit in them. Sheesh.
I drive around 30K miles a year so the big tank was a must-have for me.

At some point, though, you've got to break things into options otherwise a Tradesman is going to start at $40K MSRP.

Last edited:

chrisnack

Reaction score
Skip e-torque if you can... HORRIBLE gas mileage, huge thread on it, i get about 16.5mpg on the highway with my e-torque Limited. 21mpg hahahahaahhahahahahahaha rrrright...

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Skip e-torque if you can... HORRIBLE gas mileage, huge thread on it, i get about 16.5mpg on the highway with my e-torque Limited. 21mpg hahahahaahhahahahahahaha rrrright...
I think it depends on your situation. I don't have it, so can't opine, but if you do lots of city driving with short trips, it should benefit you a lot more.

I believe it would prob help me since I have a stupid-short commute (<1 mile), which nets me around 8-9 MPG. Only reason I get around 11 MPG per tank, is because on weekends I drive from Houston to Katy (~19 miles from my house) to get BBQ (yeah, this place is that good...) :D

chrisnack

Reaction score
I think based on that big thread, the overall mileage is worse for a e-torque than a non-e-torque, city/highway whatever.

Makes no sense since the whole point is that it's supposed to be more efficient, but it's obviously creating a parasitic drag or something (who knows)...

I can't comment if it really adds more torque, the 5.7 still feels significantly weaker than the 3.5 Ecoboost i'm coming from. I had 3 F150's before this, so that's what i have to compare to history wise. I have my start/stop disabled, so don't notice that being smoother, but i think it was pretty smooth from what i remember, but i always turn that off on my vehicles if i can. I did disable MDS as well since my mileage was crap anyways.

All that being said, it's a great interior. I'd actually say don't get the 12" screen, as physical buttons are way better, i wish i hadn't gotten it, but i would guess you have just as many people saying how awesome it is. I just find it's a lot of flipping and touching the screen, and retouching because you hit a bump versus just having a darn button for some of the controls.

chrisnack

Reaction score
Not a deal breaker. Gas stations are everywhere.

Supposed that's a matter of preference, small tank + 8ish mpg towing... LOTS of stops, stops add time, on a big road trip that could easily add another hour or two because of stops...

U

User_3336

8MPG is certainly NOT a preference!

Supposed that's a matter of preference, small tank + 8ish mpg towing... LOTS of stops, stops add time, on a big road trip that could easily add another hour or two because of stops...

Cuppedup

Reaction score
Ok, so I just got off the phone with the dealer for the second truck I Mentioned...

This is a Bighorn CC standard box, 5.7L non-etorque, 4x4 with anti-slip, sport package, tow package, big horn level 2 equipment, 33 gallon tank.

——MSRP is $53.9K
-Sale price is $47,940 (2K below invoice)
-Rebates are $7K (he says I qualify for all)
-Net price is $40,940.
—-OTD price is $45,841—-

He says with these numbers, I would need to finance for 3 months at 5.9% with the dealer, then I can refinance with my credit union, which I believe is somewhere around 3.5%. Does this seem good?

Do you think there is any more room for negotiation or is this a good deal as is and I should jump on it? This is my first truck I will be purchasing myself so I am unsure about the fine details of negotiating.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just make sure that

Agree, and this shouldn't even be an issue.
All trucks should have the biggest tanks that they can fit in them. Sheesh.
100%. There should not be a fuel tank size option for this. Just throw a 33gal tank in every truck and problem solved.

U

User_3336

BUT, they make money putting it as an option.

Just like the lousy 1/2 wheel liners in most of the ram's. $195 option to complete it to full ones.

100%. There should not be a fuel tank size option for this. Just throw a 33gal tank in every truck and problem solved.

U

User_3336

That is ALWAYS the biggest crock that comes out a finance manager's mouth. You can pay the loan off/refinance as soon as you get the account number. There is no penalty for prepayment.

The dealership gets a kickback on the backend if you float the loan 3 months. More than likely, they added a few points to your interest rate for extra $$$ back to them (example, you were approved for 3.59%, yet the dealer stated you were approved for 5.59%). When they do this crap, I just refinance or pay it off.

If you like the deal and you think its a good one, go for it. Screw the finance manager.

Ok, so I just got off the phone with the dealer for the second truck I Mentioned...

This is a Bighorn CC standard box, 5.7L non-etorque, 4x4 with anti-slip, sport package, tow package, big horn level 2 equipment, 33 gallon tank.

——MSRP is $53.9K
-Sale price is $47,940 (2K below invoice)
-Rebates are $7K (he says I qualify for all)
-Net price is $40,940.
—-OTD price is $45,841—-

He says with these numbers, I would need to finance for 3 months at 5.9% with the dealer, then I can refinance with my credit union, which I believe is somewhere around 3.5%. Does this seem good?

Do you think there is any more room for negotiation or is this a good deal as is and I should jump on it? This is my first truck I will be purchasing myself so I am unsure about the fine details of negotiating.

Cuppedup

Reaction score
So if I refinance right away with my credit union, is this a solid deal or should I keep looking?

U

User_3336

as stated, after you deal is funded and final, and you get your account number, you can do that you want.

Did the dealer want you to finance with Chrysler Capital?

So if I refinance right away with my credit union, is this a solid deal or should I keep looking?

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As for the deal itself, with the price (pre-TTL) at $40,940, that’s roughly 25% off MSRP, which I feel is pretty good.

Paultg

Reaction score
Typically if you are getting finance rebates/incentive you aren’t getting customer cash back. Based on what that finance manager said about the loan and that they are advertising the truck with conditional discounts I’d just pass.
I no longer waste my time with dealers that do business like that.

Cuppedup

Reaction score
Typically if you are getting finance rebates/incentive you aren’t getting customer cash back. Based on what that finance manager said about the loan and that they are advertising the truck with conditional discounts I’d just pass.
I no longer waste my time with dealers that do business like that.

He said MSRP is 53.9K. They have it on sale for $47K which is $3K below invoice. I can get that price with 0%, or if I “finance with them for 3 months” at 5.9% I get all the incentives which amount to $7K off. What it sounds like is I take the price of $40K ($45 OTD) and immediately go to my own bank and refinance for 3.5%.

pber1

Reaction score
Get it! My trucks msrp was $52k with a lot of the same features minus the ORP but with a 33gal tank and the dealer had it listed for $39k. I live in Northern California and the truck was in San Diego. So I called the dealership the salesman confirmed they still had it so when when hung up I bought a plane ticket, flew out the next morning, stopped by the bank and picked up my truck! After taxes and registration all that BS I paid $45k! That being said, get it!!!

Cuppedup

Reaction score
Get it! My trucks msrp was $52k with a lot of the same features minus the ORP but with a 33gal tank and the dealer had it listed for $39k. I live in Northern California and the truck was in San Diego. So I called the dealership the salesman confirmed they still had it so when when hung up I bought a plane ticket, flew out the next morning, stopped by the bank and picked up my truck! After taxes and registration all that BS I paid $45k! That being said, get it!!!

Check out a few posts up. I might be getting this different truck. CC standard box. $54 msrp, OTD $45K. And it’s funny, I’m doing the opposite of you, I’m in SoCal going to travel to NorCal

Users who are viewing this thread