5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking at this truck, good deal?

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know it's already been covered but to give you another view on the BS they're trying to feed you with finance - my dealer gave me all my rebates and secured financing through Penfed for me at their best rates.

pber1

Reaction score
Check out a few posts up. I might be getting this different truck. CC standard box. $54 msrp, OTD $45K. And it’s funny, I’m doing the opposite of you, I’m in SoCal going to travel to NorCal
Haha that’s a trip! But, GET IT! It’s an even better deal and sorry I scroll pretty quick sometimes skimming though threads

U

User_3336

WHAT?? that's not necessarily true. Alot of assumptions being made there.

You CAN finance and take rebates that apply. However, you CAN NOT take an incentive like 0% for 72 months, for example, AND rebates. HOWEVER, sometimes, they do offer a smaller incentive COMBINED with 0% financing.

Typically if you are getting finance rebates/incentive you aren’t getting customer cash back. Based on what that finance manager said about the loan and that they are advertising the truck with conditional discounts I’d just pass.
I no longer waste my time with dealers that do business like that.

Paultg

Reaction score
WHAT?? that's not necessarily true. Alot of assumptions being made there.

You CAN finance and take rebates that apply. However, you CAN NOT take an incentive like 0% for 72 months, for example, AND rebates. HOWEVER, sometimes, they do offer a smaller incentive COMBINED with 0% financing.
I wasn’t trying to spread any misinformation. All I am saying it I don’t think he has been to the dealer yet. Dealers near me advertise with everything and make a fake low number. In my neck of the woods the dealer will change price once there and you actually go through the rebate/incentive review.

Im on north east coast. I just bought from Criswell (can search for my posts).
13% off MSRP, -1% for tread lightly membership, - rebates for my zip, $+300 dealer fee. I don’t pay tax in N.H.

$58,035 MSRP
-$7454 dealer dis (13%)
-$580 (Tread lightly)
$49,910
+$300 fee
-$2500 (current rebates)
———————-
$47,710 OTD and could get better if rebates improve while I wait.
I didn’t have to negotiate. That’s just their deal.

PwrdbyM

Reaction score
In order to get ALL of the incentives you will likely need to finance with Chrysler Capital (depending on current offers and region). When I bought there was a $2,000 cash incentive if you used Chrysler Capital. The dealer is telling you to keep the loan for 90 days in order for them to make their kickback on it, but there is NO requirement for you to do so. (If they treat you right and you want to honor it then up to you). The Chrysler Capital rate is negotiable to a point. I was able to get them to match my credit union rate of 2.1% back in April (60mths/$16k down). All of this with good credit of course. I'd get pre-approved through your local credit union and take that paperwork with you as a bargaining point.
Just a note on another sly tactic, many FM's are telling customers they're approved for 5.6%, for example, but if you purchase these extended warranties they can lower that rate by 1% to 4.6%! You were of course approved for the 4.6% the entire time. Warranty purchases are in no way linked to loan rates.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't want to deal with the financing dance so didn't bother with trying to get any deals associated with Chrylser Capital and still ended up with 18% off MSRP. Good enough for me and it was worth the cost to not have to go through the all the paperwork. When I do that kind of stuff something always goes wrong and costs me in the end - either time or money.

I did have to travel 120 miles north to Los Angeles to get the truck I wanted. It was the only one within 400 miles that had what I wanted.

Cuppedup

Reaction score
Ok so my price OTD is just shy of $46K. This includes a $1500 incentive for financing through Chrysler. I just got preapproved for the loan I need through my credit union. But if I get the loan through the credit union and have the funds, how do I go about “financing” through Chrysler? Like I said, this is my first new auto purchase so I don’t know how it would work getting a loan and then refinancing ??

U

User_3336

If you did get approval for financing thru your credit union and you plan on using those fund your loan, you WON'T get the $1500 from Chrysler Capital (since you didn't let them fund the loan).

You could STILL use Chrysler Capital to fund your loan (but they may already see your credit pull from the credit union),
but you will still have submit a credit app to Chrysler Capital.

If the credit union still wants to keep your loan approval open, you could float your loan with Chrysler Capital until you get your account #, THEN refinance with your credit union.

Obviously, if you go with a credit union to fund your loan, I am not sure how you thought you would still get the finance cash with Chrysler Capital.

If you finance with your credit Union, your OTD price would increase by $1500, since you said that was the amount from Chrysler Capital that you will not be receiving and you said it was already figured in.

Ok so my price OTD is just shy of $46K. This includes a $1500 incentive for financing through Chrysler. I just got preapproved for the loan I need through my credit union. But if I get the loan through the credit union and have the funds, how do I go about “financing” through Chrysler? Like I said, this is my first new auto purchase so I don’t know how it would work getting a loan and then refinancing ??

Last edited by a moderator:

Paultg

Reaction score
You either:
A. finance through the credit union and lose the $1500 FCA money
B. Finance with FCA and get that $1500. Then in a short period of time you could go back to your credit union and do a refinance (which is a diff loan than the one you did in part A. You could ask your credit union about it.
Be aware the FCA loan rate might not be very good but if you refi quick it does not matter.

Cuppedup

Reaction score
So I have not actually gotten the loan yet, I have been preapproved based off the credit unions online website. So, I would go to the dealer, purchase and finance through them, THEN go to my credit union and get the loan and pay off the dealership loan right away?

Paultg

Reaction score
So I have not actually gotten the loan yet, I have been preapproved based off the credit unions online website. So, I would go to the dealer, purchase and finance through them, THEN go to my credit union and get the loan and pay off the dealership loan right away?
Yeah pretty much. But only do that if your credit union interest rate for a auto refinance loan (not new auto loan) is better.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's why I bypassed the headache and went with the new car loan through my credit union. I also only went with a 60 month term which saved me another 0.5% on the interest rate.

Don't know how much I would have saved (if any) going the Chrysler Capital / cash back / credit union re-finance (used car rate) but that was more than I was interested in biting off.

I haven't had to do any paperwork, except make a monthly payment, since the day I bought my truck and IMO that's worth whatever I may have saved trying to get the Chrysler Capital cash back. I also knew what my term was, interest rate, and monthly payment before I signed anything.

Just my .02

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's why I bypassed the headache and went with the new car loan through my credit union. I also only went with a 60 month term which saved me another 0.5% on the interest rate.

Don't know how much I would have saved (if any) going the Chrysler Capital / cash back / credit union re-finance (used car rate) but that was more than I was interested in biting off.

I haven't had to do any paperwork, except make a monthly payment, since the day I bought my truck and IMO that's worth whatever I may have saved trying to get the Chrysler Capital cash back. I also knew what my term was, interest rate, and monthly payment before I signed anything.

Just my .02

I'm not sure if this is standard in every bank, but it is worth looking into for people looking to refinance. Some banks (mine included) will refinance at new car rates up to 20 or 25 thousand miles, rather than the used auto rates which apparently starts after that point. For example, I bought a 17 ram with 20k on it in April 2019, refinanced with my credit union and got the new auto rate (was 2.75% at that time). Again, I'm not sure if that's a standard practice or not, but something for people to look into if they want to get the better price by financing with Chrysler Capital, and then still get a better interest rate after.

Cuppedup

Reaction score
Ok so this truck is located around 500 miles away from me. I contacted my local dealer to see if they can make a trade to get the truck down here and avoid me taking a trip. He just asked me what my agreed upon price is with that dealer. Do I tell him? Or do I see what he can offer first?

Cuppedup

Reaction score
Should I let him know the already negotiated price with the other dealer? Or should I see if he can beat it himself for the Business?

Paultg

Reaction score
Should I let him know the already negotiated price with the other dealer? Or should I see if he can beat it himself for the Business?
I would just tell the dealer the price you are willing to pay. That can be the same as the other dealer, less money, or more for the convenience.

Skater

Reaction score
I do not know where you are located, but I drive 400 miles to get a good deal and have been doing it for years. My local dealers tell me they cannot match what I get in Phoenix. I have even taken written price specs from Phoenix dealers to local dealers who have said show it to me in writing and they will match it. They never can when they realize I am getting $15K to $17K off MSRP OTD with rebates and dealer discount. I do have a long relationship with this dealer, which does help too.

My suggestion.... show it to them. If they can match it, they will. If they cannot, they will tell you they cannot match it. However, I am not the smartest guy in this forum and someone else may have better advice. I just like sticking it in dealer's faces who tell me to "show it to me in writing" only to have them tell me that they cannot match the prices I pay, but they still want me to buy from them.

20laramieetorque

Reaction score
Do not get anything with etorque I’m in those hellish problems now with o my 1200 miles on the truck been in shop for 2 weeks with no timeframe of when it will be fixed no loaner vehicle nothing..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skater

Reaction score
Do not get anything with etorque I’m in those hellish problems now with o my 1200 miles on the truck been in shop for 2 weeks with no timeframe of when it will be fixed no loaner vehicle nothing..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I have read all of your other posts. Sorry for your troubles. I hope your dealer gets it worked out soon. Shocking you do not have a loaner to drive. The Limited I am waiting on does not have the 48v system, not by choice, but by dealer leaving it off spec sheet by accident and just ordering the HEMI. After reading your other posts I guess I am thankful for my dealer's mistake. I do not think I would have liked the engine off at stoplights in 110 degree heat either.

Users who are viewing this thread