5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking at a new Gen 5 - options questions

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks guys. All good info. I figured as much about the LEDs. They've come a long way since I worried about such things. The HIDs served me well. I just thought I'd ask. The 33 gal tank is a no brainer. I don't do much towing anymore but the extra range is worth it.
I'm still on the rocks about the e-torque. Gonna ask the dealer to let me test both back to back. I was thinking about the cost to replace the battery down the road.
The NAV I'll probably order. Better to have it and not need it...I've been using a Garman for years and always liked it.
Being old school I kinda like chrome. But whos idea was it to not have chrome wheels standard?
No issues with eTorque in the past 2.5 years for me; I’d get it again. That plus the 3.92 axle gave the truck a bit more pep, especially with the HEMI not having the grunt of GM’s 6.2 or especially Ford’s EcoBoost motors. I’ve got basically everything that was available at the time on my Longhorn (I ordered it that way), and I don’t know that I’d change anything.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Led lights are a must have now, I love mine! I get both sides of the etorque arguments. I had a 19 and now a 21 ram, both had etorque. I had other issues as my 19 was lemon lawed! Had nothing to do with the etorque. I love it for driving around in town. I would guess I get 2 mpg better than a non etorque. It is nice if you ever do pull, gives the truck a little boost. Yes I would drive both as the etorque does have a different feel stoping and going. I got used to it very quick, as soon as you let your foot off the break it’s moving. Yes more to go wrong, but 8 years 80,000 warranty. I would get the led lights and etorque again. I also built my 21, added air ride and power steps, so far I love both of these options! The air ride has many uses, mine has 5 setting, I’ve been lowering it when taking heavy items into and out of the box, you’d be surprised what a few inches can do for you back! Good luck with whatever you decide!

SmittysTrk

Reaction score
I’ve been on the hunt myself for a few months. LED’s are must. Depending on which trim you get there are two different types of LED lights; optional reflectors on Big Horn/Laramie vs standard projectors on Longhorn/Limited.

For me, E-Torque is a hard pass. It doesn’t provide much benefit for the payload hit and high cost of repairs outside of warranty.
I did not know that. I guess I've only seen the projectors on a Laramie and presumed that was what was going on the Big Horn. Is this the one for the Big Horn? 1615089347139.png

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did not know that. I guess I've only seen the projectors on a Laramie and presumed that was what was going on the Big Horn. Is this the one for the Big Horn? View attachment 84865
Yes, the reflector LEDs in that picture are standard on Laramie and $1000 option on Big Horn. Longhorn and Limited get LED projectors. I have a Laramie and am happy with the lights.

SmittysTrk

Reaction score
So I took an Etorque and a non etorque out for a test today. Not impressed with it. Felt lagging on launching. So that ends that. Now if I could only decide on a color...
Oh and something the salesman said was interesting while looking thru inventory for a truck with my options. He said the factory limits what options they can order for stock. And apparently the 3:92 ain't on the list.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Oh and something the salesman said was interesting while looking thru inventory for a truck with my options. He said the factory limits what options they can order for stock. And apparently the 3:92 ain't on the list.
That’s surprising. When I was shopping, most trucks on the lot here had 3.92s.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
3.92 rear end isn’t available? I have 3.21 but that’s what I wanted. There were many others with ET and 3.92

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
So I took an Etorque and a non etorque out for a test today. Not impressed with it. Felt lagging on launching. So that ends that. Now if I could only decide on a color...
And you believe a salesman? o_O

I just checked inventories within 250 miles of me, 2105 total 1500s, 1246 of those have 3.92 axle.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Seems they are also only allowed to order eTorque for inventory too. Hard to find one without it

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did they have the same gears? My dad's Limited has eTorque (I don't) and the same 3.21 gears as I do and there's really no difference between them except his engine shuts off at stoplights and (maybe) shifts a little smoother.

As for your original questions:

- LED lights are a must. Worth the cost and then some IMO.

- eTorque was a $1200 option when I bought so opted to use that money for other packages. Now it's around a $200 option (give or take) and I wouldn't turn it down if the truck had everything else I wanted. I hate start/stop but the eTorque is smooth (uses the box that replaces the alternator instead of the starter) and doesn't bother me.

- I got the NAV and am happy with it. Yes it seems a little dated compared to pretty much anything you can get for free on your phone but the gloss trim piece you get with the 8.4C version is nicer than the matte plastic, it makes for a nice backup to other apps (used it a couple of times for quick detours due to accidents/construction), and you get HD radio with it.

- I use Google and Apple maps on my iPhone (Apple CarPlay obviously) all the time and it works great.

Quint

Reaction score
I preferred a truck with 3.21 and the LEDs, but found a Bighorn that fit my needs in every other way. I was agnostic about the eTorque. Now I've got a Night Edition 2021 with eTorque, 3.92 gears, and the 8.4 non-Nav. It's a lot more fun to drive than my 2015 Bighorn was. Unfortunately this one did not have the LEDs, but I've never driven at night with LEDs so I actually don't know what I am missing. Ignorance is bliss in my opinion - but I still have good eyesight in my mid 40s.

Good luck.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
LED's are definitely worth it, and the Adaptive ones are icing on the cake in the Limited and Laramie Longhorn. The eTorque is a must if you tow heavy and drive through city areas while doing so. According to my comparison MPG figures from my 2007 Ram 1500 Quad 5.7 MDS 3.92 4x4 (5524LBS) to my 2019 Ram 1500 Crew 5.7 MDS eTorque 3.92 4x4 (5840LBS) the eTorque alone paid for itself in 28 months when it was a extra $1100. Now that it is only $200 more it is a no-brainer because even if you drive very low miles it will pay for itself in the first 6 months and as you mentioned you have more Torque on the line take off acceleration.

BowDown

Reaction score
I’ve been on the hunt myself for a few months. LED’s are must. Depending on which trim you get there are two different types of LED lights; optional reflectors on Big Horn/Laramie vs standard projectors on Longhorn/Limited.

For me, E-Torque is a hard pass. It doesn’t provide much benefit for the payload hit and high cost of repairs outside of warranty.

What's the payload hit and the repair cost?

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's 2021. Unless it's a financial impossibility, why would anyone buy a new car/truck without LED's?
LED's have become the equivalent of air conditioning. Would you buy a car without A/C?
Halogens are becoming more and more 'dated', and will soon brandish drivers as having an 'old' car.

Last edited:

silver billet

Reaction score
It's 2021. Unless it's a financial impossibility, why would anyone buy a new car/truck without LED's?
LED's have become the equivalent of air conditioning. Would you buy a car without A/C?
Halogens are becoming more and more 'dated', and will soon brandish drivers has having an 'old' car.

I hate the way these look on the Ram's, sorry man. That bottom frosting looks like a 1990's headlight that has seen too much sun. The wave pattern of the actual led has no design to it. And finally the color/hue of the leds is too blue, the warmer halogen lights are easier on the eyes (less strain) for everybody, not just the driver but oncoming traffic as well.

I love the look of the halogens, they are big and bold and clear. They could use more brightness but somehow the world survived for 40+ years without LEDs so I don't really see/know what I'm missing. Am I the only one that can see in the dark??

I like LED's in general, the Jeep GC has a fantastic LED and there are others too. But the Ram's implementation is just bad from a styling viewpoint, IMHO.

The Limited lights are better, but the Bighorn style LED's, meh, I purposely ordered my truck without them.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind when it comes to deciding on LED's or not, is that you must replace the entire headlight housing if one "burns out". You can't just replace a bulb like you can in halogens. Not sure of the life expectancy of them, and they might last for years. I just wanted to point that out.

My opinion of the LED reflector headlights is that they are an improvement over the halogen projectors I had on my 2017 Rebel. But they are not that much better. The projector LED headlights on the Limited and Longhorn models is a bigger improvement.

bman77

Reaction score
What's the payload hit and the repair cost?
The entire etorque package adds 100lbs to the truck, not sure if there is a payload hit. It seems all eTorque articles actually point there being a slight bump in payload when equipped.

Replacement battery if it ever needs replacing $1250, but it is an LG Chem and will probably outlast the truck.. The generator/motor if it ever needs replacing is $800. However just like the battery, I doubt it will ever need replacing

Wsmith

Reaction score
For me the 2 musts are LED lights, Halogen's suck. and the 33 gallon tank. If you use your bed a lot the MFT is well worth it. Everything else is just whether or not you will use it or like it. I went with the standard 5.7 non E. One less thing to go wrong. The more electronic do dads you have are just more to go wrong.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Whether we like it or not, LED's will be on ALL vehicles soon enough. So if you don't like the look of them on a particular model, it then needs to be part of you buying decision.
Lights that get 'hot' are not long for this planet. Outdated technology.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I did not know that. I guess I've only seen the projectors on a Laramie and presumed that was what was going on the Big Horn.

Technically, as others stated, Laramies do not get projectors; the Big Horn's "Premium Lighting Group" adds the reflector LED headlamps, the same ones that are standard on Laramie/Rebel trims.

If you look at the IIHS tests, the LED reflectors aren't that much better than the halogens (actually worse in some regards) with their light spread. However, they look way nicer than the halogens, and make you think they're even better because of the white light that hits the road, rather than the yellow light from a halogen. I wouldn't hesitate to get the LEDs if I wanted to buy a Big Horn myself.

The Ram's LED projectors in the Longhorn, Limited, and TRX trims are the only full size truck headlights currently to perform well in the IIHS's new headlight standards. They have not tested the new 2021 Ford F-150 LED projectors yet, we'll see how they stack up.

Users who are viewing this thread