5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking at a new Gen 5 - options questions

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So I took an Etorque and a non etorque out for a test today. Not impressed with it. Felt lagging on launching. So that ends that. Now if I could only decide on a color...
Oh and something the salesman said was interesting while looking thru inventory for a truck with my options. He said the factory limits what options they can order for stock. And apparently the 3:92 ain't on the list.
I suspect the two trucks you drove didn't have the same rear gear

BowDown

Reaction score
The entire etorque package adds 100lbs to the truck, not sure if there is a payload hit. It seems all eTorque articles actually point there being a slight bump in payload when equipped.

Replacement battery if it ever needs replacing $1250, but it is an LG Chem and will probably outlast the truck.. The generator/motor if it ever needs replacing is $800. However just like the battery, I doubt it will ever need replacing

The ETorque system weighs 75lbs at best, if payload is the driving factor then a 4x2 quad cab is a better choice. 75 or even 100lbs is not significant.
The etorque system is covered under the 5/60,000 warranty but if neither needs replacing, what's the actual cost?

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you look at the IIHS tests, the LED reflectors aren't that much better than the halogens (actually worse in some regards) with their light spread.
Even if this is true, don't forget LED's are much easier on the alternator load and to a lessor extend better for gas mileage.
What they need to figure out is how to keep slush and snow off of them while driving in winter climates. This is/was a huge advantage to halogen headlights.

silver billet

Reaction score
Whether we like it or not, LED's will be on ALL vehicles soon enough. So if you don't like the look of them on a particular model, it then needs to be part of you buying decision.
Lights that get 'hot' are not long for this planet. Outdated technology.

My issue is not with LED's, just this particular implementation.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
The ETorque system weighs 75lbs at best, if payload is the driving factor then a 4x2 quad cab is a better choice. 75 or even 100lbs is not significant.
The etorque system is covered under the 5/60,000 warranty but if neither needs replacing, what's the actual cost?
While I was truck shopping I looked up the price of the motor/alternator for hemi etorque. I think it was like $1800

BowDown

Reaction score
While I was truck shopping I looked up the price of the motor/alternator for hemi etorque. I think it was like $1800

I've looked too but the likelihood that you'll pay for the failure or that it will fail is low. If cost to replace a part is the motivator, 4 cylinder vs V8, 4x2 vs 4x4
single door truck vs 4 door truck and on and on. Etorque wasn't a deal killer for me as it was on the majority of Limited's. I could have gone either way but repair cost played no role in the decision

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The entire etorque package adds 100lbs to the truck, not sure if there is a payload hit. It seems all eTorque articles actually point there being a slight bump in payload when equipped.

eTorque equipped trucks do not get a bump in GVWR. Therefore it’s weight directly reduces payload, pound for pound.

bman77

Reaction score
eTorque equipped trucks do not get a bump in GVWR. Therefore it’s weight directly reduces payload, pound for pound.
Go to ram trucks:

eTorque equipped:

5.7L HEMI® V8 ENGINE WITH ETORQUE

The available 5.7L HEMI® V8 engine with the Class-Exclusive eTorque Mild Hybrid Technology System( Disclosure1) blends performance-enhancing and efficient technologies with the addition of an available extra 130 pound-feet of torque for a V8 gas towing capacity of up to 12,750 pounds( Disclosure2).

LB TOWING CAPACITY
LB-FT OF TORQUE
HORSEPOWER

Non eTorque Equipped:

5.7L HEMI® V8 ENGINE

The available and renowned 5.7L HEMI® V8 engine offers the legendary power and capability you’ve come to expect from the HEMI name.

LB TOWING CAPACITY
11,610( Disclosure2)
LB-FT OF TORQUE
HORSEPOWER

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Go to ram trucks:

eTorque equipped:

5.7L HEMI® V8 ENGINE WITH ETORQUE

The available 5.7L HEMI® V8 engine with the Class-Exclusive eTorque Mild Hybrid Technology System( Disclosure1) blends performance-enhancing and efficient technologies with the addition of an available extra 130 pound-feet of torque for a V8 gas towing capacity of up to 12,750 pounds( Disclosure2).

LB TOWING CAPACITY
LB-FT OF TORQUE
HORSEPOWER

Non eTorque Equipped:

5.7L HEMI® V8 ENGINE

The available and renowned 5.7L HEMI® V8 engine offers the legendary power and capability you’ve come to expect from the HEMI name.

LB TOWING CAPACITY
11,610( Disclosure2)
LB-FT OF TORQUE
HORSEPOWER

Literally says nothing about eTorque getting increased payload or GVWR....because it does neither

Edit: Here is the weights chart, eTorque reduces payload by 80-90 lbs

62E129B6-F83A-4E40-A3A7-2FEBB0D2E047.png

Last edited:

Limited2021

Reaction score
Literally says nothing about eTorque getting increased payload or GVWR....because it does neither

Edit: Here is the weights chart, eTorque reduces payload by 80-90 lbs

View attachment 85450

When you look at the engine section on that page and switch between the 5.7 and the 5.7 etorque there is a 1140 pound difference in max tow capacity. I believe this is what he was referring to.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When you look at the engine section on that page and switch between the 5.7 and the 5.7 etorque there is a 1140 pound difference in max tow capacity. I believe this is what he was referring to.

Only a 4x2, Quad Cab, 6’4” bed combination gets that towing capacity. Otherwise eTorque slightly decreases towing capacity in every other configuration.

Regardless, his original comment was about eTorque increasing payload

SmittysTrk

Reaction score
I suspect the two trucks you drove didn't have the same rear gear
I thought so also. But no, they were both 3.21. The non etorque engine just felt more responsive. Whether from a stop or accelerating at highway speed. Just didn't do it for me. Almost like bad turbo lag.
Anyway, went back today and ordered my Patriot blue Big Horn. Now the wait begins...

Users who are viewing this thread