5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking at a new Gen 5 - options questions

SmittysTrk

Reaction score
Hi everyone. New guy here. But not new to Dodge Rams. I've had a few starting with 2 vans, 2 Dakotas, a gen 3 and a gen 4. After 11 years with my gen 4 I'm thinking about an upgrade. I have a few things that I want to find out before pulling the trigger on a new Big Horn.
Hows the halogen head lights? Is it worth it to upgrade to the LEDs? This is a game changer for me. (old eyes don't see as well in the dark) Spent a lotta cash converting to HIDs for my gen 4.
And the e-Torque? PIA or worth it? I didn't even know it existed. Don't do much long distance driving. But I do enjoy a quick getaway off a red light. ;)
Anyone use the Android Auto with the Uconnect 4 instead of getting the NAV built in? Pros and cons?
Any info you can give will help. I'm swamped and have sooo much to learn!

dano257

Reaction score
LED's are worth it. I have the halogens and they are not very good. I have the Hemi no e-torque and I love it. Around 12 MPG with "spirited" driving... I use the Android Auto all the time with the 8.4 with the NAV. I never use the built-in NAV and only use google maps thru AA. Good luck!

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
The LED headlights are a must. I bought one off the lot that had 'em. I wouldn't have ordered them on a truck before, but I would now.

I have zero experience with eTorque. It was still a first-year thing and I didn't want to be a guinea pig. But it seems like it's pretty troublefree; surprisingly few complaints about problems with it in this forum. I wouldn't hesitate to get a truck with it now.

I still use a flip phone that was almost obsolete when I got it in 2008, so I can't comment on the other question. Your questions are a foreign language to me.

TravisJ

Reaction score
Navigation through android auto or apple CarPlay is the best. So many options to use (wave/Google maps/etc.). Never have to worry about outdated maps and honestly give more accurate information.

the only issue is if you are getting heads up display or want the directions on the gauge cluster screen. Direction info will only show on this if you have actual OEM nav on your car (pretty sure).

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
LED headlights are definitely worth it.

e-torque has worked flawlessly for me (12months/12k). I like it, as it makes for the worlds best stop-start. Also smooths auto trans shifting. Not sure of the mileage benefit, but would get it again.

Nav is worth having as a backup, but map data is 2 yrs old. Use CarPlay primarily, but use Nav almost weekly - its handy and easy.

If you plan on any towing, spring for the 33gal tank - worth the $ if towing. And the MFT is the best option ever....but it’s always easy to spend other folks money...

Jako

Reaction score
-LEDS well worth it for old eyes.
-Bed Utility Group is priced well but depends on what you plan to do with the truck. Bed step (old knees?) alone is $300+ depending on the install, bed lights become another expense later on.
-E torque is warranted to 8 years 80,000 miles, you owned out to 11 years. As a long term owner I stayed away from another potential "down the road" repair.
-Wheel well liners.
-Wish I had spent the $95 for the block heater, quoted $540 at dealership. Not necessary but the Ram seems thirsty when cold. Looking to connect a battery tender and figured I might as well have a block heater if I am going to "hook" the car up to an electrical outlet. Do have concerns about cats finding a warm spot in my motor bay, neighbor already took one out.
-I have the Nav 8.4, not so happy as it "bailed" on me, came back but lost 1 1/2 years of destinations, takes me off the highway sometimes and puts me on a local road. Dealer couldn't do anything for me as it was "working" at the time. I do not rely on it. Not happy at $800 for the Nav. but probably add it.
-I added the Trailer Brake Control as it shows up in display. Can be added later and after market works but doesn't show up in display. Again depending on your needs.

Best of luck and don't hesitate to make it what you want, old eyes only getting older.

I went with a Big Horn, Level 2 and I am very happy.

SmittysTrk

Reaction score
Thanks guys. All good info. I figured as much about the LEDs. They've come a long way since I worried about such things. The HIDs served me well. I just thought I'd ask. The 33 gal tank is a no brainer. I don't do much towing anymore but the extra range is worth it.
I'm still on the rocks about the e-torque. Gonna ask the dealer to let me test both back to back. I was thinking about the cost to replace the battery down the road.
The NAV I'll probably order. Better to have it and not need it...I've been using a Garman for years and always liked it.
Being old school I kinda like chrome. But whos idea was it to not have chrome wheels standard?

Jako

Reaction score
Thanks guys. All good info. I figured as much about the LEDs. They've come a long way since I worried about such things. The HIDs served me well. I just thought I'd ask. The 33 gal tank is a no brainer. I don't do much towing anymore but the extra range is worth it.
I'm still on the rocks about the e-torque. Gonna ask the dealer to let me test both back to back. I was thinking about the cost to replace the battery down the road.
The NAV I'll probably order. Better to have it and not need it...I've been using a Garman for years and always liked it.
Being old school I kinda like chrome. But whos idea was it to not have chrome wheels standard?
OEM wheels become available via this forum, craigslist, ebay, facebook market place and such. You can put a Want To Buy WTB on the forum and you will eventually get the chrome wheels. Owners are always going to aftermarket wheels.

kooz21

Reaction score
The LEDs are really nice.
The eTourque is very smooth. Although I do give it a slight hesitation jumping from the brake to the throttle, less than half a second, just to let it restart. If you’re really looking to jump off the line, you can turn it off with the push of a button.
I got the 8.4-Nav, but really just because it looks nicer. I generally use google maps through CarPlay, but one cool thing about the nav is that it knows the speed limits (usually). You can set an alert to let you know when you’re speeding, which is kinda cool. It’s adjustable, so you can set it however you like (1 mph over, or 15, 20). Not sure if it’s worth $800, but it’s hardly a dent on my payment.
Lastly, if you plan to add a bed liner, the BUG is a must. Great value.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
+ 1 on the LEDs. On top of the awesome lighting, the truck just has a much more modern look to it with those headlight housings.

OEM chrome wheels. My bighorn came with the chrome wheels but I really, really loved the look of the OEM gray Built to Serve wheels. So I bought a brand new set of 4 because back then they were still relatively new and hard to find on the forums or elsewhere (got them for $1200 from a Mopar wholesaler in NJ.) But I put my chrome wheels up for saLe immediately here and elsewhere online and they were sold within a week ($600.) You’ll have very few problems finding a nice set of OEM chrome wheels, there are many here that are not crazy about them.

Get the Nav, I know many complain about it but it’s always nice to have a backup when Waze or your phone packs it in. Plus it’s saved my bacon a few times when I was out hiking in zero reception and Waze wouldn’t load for the drive back... Nav always works. Plus.. the shiny bezel looks great! (The 8.4 with Nav has a shiny black bezel outline while the 8.4 non Nav is just plain gray plastic.)

I don’t have the etorque so no clue in that, other than most members on here are perfectly happy with theirs.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Fatherof3

Reaction score
LED’s are awesome . The Etorque I don’t have so can’t really comment on that . The nav is worth it for me personally but ymmv . The BUG is great . Welcome to the forum .

Mirowpl

Reaction score
E-torqu is great for start/stop and smooth shifting. i will always have navigation with my vehicles because there are still many places without cellular data. I live in rural eastern NC and we have plenty of dead spots. I do not have led’s and I am fine with the head lights as long as you have fog lights. Hope this helps

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Is the chrome “true” or a spray on like my 14’ Ford Edge? The wife rubbed a wheel on a curb and it has flaked off. Looks like sheet.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi everyone. New guy here. But not new to Dodge Rams. I've had a few starting with 2 vans, 2 Dakotas, a gen 3 and a gen 4. After 11 years with my gen 4 I'm thinking about an upgrade. I have a few things that I want to find out before pulling the trigger on a new Big Horn.
Hows the halogen head lights? Is it worth it to upgrade to the LEDs? This is a game changer for me. (old eyes don't see as well in the dark) Spent a lotta cash converting to HIDs for my gen 4.
And the e-Torque? PIA or worth it? I didn't even know it existed. Don't do much long distance driving. But I do enjoy a quick getaway off a red light. ;)
Anyone use the Android Auto with the Uconnect 4 instead of getting the NAV built in? Pros and cons?
Any info you can give will help. I'm swamped and have sooo much to learn!
I am like you, I keep my trucks for several years, from 1996 Dodge Ram 5.9L V8 Magnum Extended Cab 8 foot bed to 2011 Ram 5.7L Hemi Outdoorsman Crew Cab and now 2020 Rebel 3L V6 Diesel. I have been wanting a small displacement diesel for years. All of my three trucks are not comparable, from solid front axle to Hemi power to Diesel efficiency.
Back in 2010, Ram had a deal with Cummins, they had 1/2 ton trucks (preproduction) with 5L V8 Cummins Diesels, that deal with Cummins was dropped when Daimler Chrysler went bankrupt. That’s when FCA was formed and they have their own VM Motori 3L V 6 Diesels. It was around 2014 when they put that small displacement diesel in the Rams, but I had my 2011 Ram and was not ready to change.
The small diesel had major upgrades, now with 480 lb/ft torque at 1600 RPM. The emission system upgrades were also done.
My truck just had it’s first scheduled oil change, 5% oil life remaining at 15,000km (9,375 miles).
The cost for the oil change at the dealer in Northern Ontario Canada would have been $243, but cost me $155 at the dealer because I supplied the oil and filter that I bought at 1/2 price, the $155 includes the dealer labour cost of $30.
The price of gasoline is getting ridiculous up here, $1.48/L ($6.72/gallon) mid grade 89 octane which the Hemi recommends compared to the ultra low sulphur diesel $1.16L ($5.27/gallon)
The Hemi in the winter really killed my mpg compared to my diesel.
14 mpg Hemi, 19L/100km so 15,000km gas cost $4218
22 mpg ecodiesel, 13L/100km so 15,000km fuel cost $$1950
A difference of $2262, easily offsets the extra cost for the oil changes.
If I was to use regular 87 octane gasoline at $1.32/L ($5.99/gallon) the price difference would be $1500, still substantial.
The longer I keep my truck the bigger the savings.
If I was to use the summer mpg, both the diesel and the gasoline consumption will improve at approximately the same rate because I do more towing in the summer and that is where the diesel mpg efficiency gains over the Hemi.
No matter which engine you choose, the 5th generation Rams are in my opinion the best ruck out there.
Enjoy your new ride when you get it.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
The LEDs are awesome. Best lighting you can have. I dont have etorque but I drove a 3.6 with it and it is the best stop/start system I’ve experienced. Idk if it’s worth 1 or 2 mpg tho.

I’m getting 17 to 18 avg mpg with mixed driving and driving it easy, setting the cruise, etc

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Besides what others have said, when you drive both ET and non ET back to back see if you notice a difference in braking to a stop. Most here don't notice or care, but the ET has a different feel. I wish I didn't get it.

moparleo51

Reaction score
led lights are a must, as for the e-torque i wasnt sure if i wanted it, my previous 2019 ram bighorn did`nt have it ,so i was going to stay the same but when i found a deal on my 2021 laramie it had the e-torque so i took it. after 2months of having it i must say i`m really surprised how well this system works. the start stop is smooth and reacts very well. way bettr than the one on my wifes 2016 jeep she had. as for nav, i used android auto a littel more than i use the oem nav, it needs to be more up to date on its maps i believe.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve been on the hunt myself for a few months. LED’s are must. Depending on which trim you get there are two different types of LED lights; optional reflectors on Big Horn/Laramie vs standard projectors on Longhorn/Limited.

For me, E-Torque is a hard pass. It doesn’t provide much benefit for the payload hit and high cost of repairs outside of warranty.

Last edited:

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't get the NAV and I would never use it if I had it because I prefer waze or google but if I was doing it over I would get the 8.4nav because the non-nav unit has no HD radio even though it is advertised as having it and no sos button and sirius guardian. I was surprised to find the radio was a downgrade from my gen4 8.4 non-nav.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I use car play with google maps for nav. Works great

Users who are viewing this thread