5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looing for Help on Gas Tank upgrade

dyelife

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Happy Holidays and happy RAM adventures! lol.

I am about to purchase a travel trailer so my wife and I can begin traveling around the country. I made a mistake when building my current truck and let the factory default 23gal tank...remain in my build. Big mistake on my end and I own up to it. So now.... I have seen some fab work done on this forum with a 33 gal add on. I believe that was posted earlier this year and I went through the incredible details from the OP. Now, I am seeing how the 33gal is an option added to my exact Laramie 4x4 crew cab 2019 Sport edition... and maybe I am naive...but doesnt that mean it should be something I am able to drop in now? That what my thoughts, I called multiple dealerships and they were all saying the big concern was the calibration and computer system with adding that tank. Then they say they can't even find it. I am a bit lost, I feel this should be pretty simple which could be my first mistake. I believe there is plenty of room to add but additionally...software is made to be updated and adapt...therefor I don't see how the computer calibration for an increased tank would be such a daunting task as they seem to present it... odd. Then they can't even find it available and say its only offered in a build. I don't know where to go from here but anyone who possibly has an easier route then getting it fabricated...or is that my only option?

Thank you in advance, I really need to get a bigger tank or my butt will be at a gas station every 150miles...brutal.

2019 Ivory White Laramie Sport - 4x4 - 3.92 - Crew Cab

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry, I can't answer your question, I just have a comment...something to think about.

The standard tank is 26 actually gallons, not 23. How much are you really going to gain by adding a tank that holds an additional 7 gallons of fuel? Towing a trailer, you'll probably get 10, maybe 12 MPG. So you're looking at around 70 - 80ish miles per tankful. Is it really worth going through all of the hassle and spending hundreds, if not thousands of dollars?

Dixit

Reaction score
I did the tank swap but went from a 26 to 33. It only requires a range to empty modification calibration. That was done easily with AlfaOBD tuner.

Another member (Rammit) who I helped out did the 23 to 33 gal swap. He had a lot more parts to buy because the fuel pump is different between 23 and 26/33 (yes 26 and 33 share same fuel pump assembly). You need new evap hoses. New fuel line as well. Need a new canister for evap. That thread for retrofitting the fuel tank has a lot of details I put in there with pics and part numbers. Also make sure you actually have the third fuel tank strap mounting cross member already on the frame. Rammit found out he didn’t have it and now has to fabricate something. Mine actually had it so all I had to do was attach the third fuel tank strap that the 33gal tank also needs.

But main thing for calibration is range to empty and then in your case the fuel pump settings for fuel sending unit so that would be probably just checking the full and empty tank values in AlfaOBD and comparing it to like me or someone else with a 26/33 gal tank setup.

I will say coming from the 23 there are a lot more parts and cost to do it. Rammit ended up paying over $1000 in parts. I recommend getting it off a junkyard vehicle with all the parts and hoses you can. Those all add up to what Rammit ended up paying to a dealer for new parts.

Dixit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I learned something new today. I had no idea the standard tank is 23 gallons. I thought 26 and 33 were the only options. Either way, hardly seems worth the effort and money IMO.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Screenshot_20191014-083100_Hancom Office S Viewer.jpg
Since we continue to get the same question asked just ever so differently, I will post this one more time.

The 26 gallon is standard.

The 23 gallon is standard on 3.6 quad and certain models with etorque.

You can read to get the full understanding.

@Jared B @redriderbob have they issued a 2020 feature guide yet, I haven't been able to locate one.

For the time being we have the feature guide here for 2019 that should be mostly similar to the 2020.

dyelife

Reaction score
Sorry, I can't answer your question, I just have a comment...something to think about.

The standard tank is 26 actually gallons, not 23. How much are you really going to gain by adding a tank that holds an additional 7 gallons of fuel? Towing a trailer, you'll probably get 10, maybe 12 MPG. So you're looking at around 70 - 80ish miles per tankful. Is it really worth going through all of the hassle and spending hundreds, if not thousands of dollars?
Hey there, thank you for the response. I am not sure about the 26, mine is 23 so I would be getting 10 additional gallons which would take me closer to the 500mile trip. Which infact is a big deal and possibly 1 less frequent stop. And when traveling in the middle of the desert in CA, thats worth the extra...700.00 install IMO. I appreciate the feedback.

dyelife

Reaction score
I did the tank swap but went from a 26 to 33. It only requires a range to empty modification calibration. That was done easily with AlfaOBD tuner.

Another member (Rammit) who I helped out did the 23 to 33 gal swap. He had a lot more parts to buy because the fuel pump is different between 23 and 26/33 (yes 26 and 33 share same fuel pump assembly). You need new evap hoses. New fuel line as well. Need a new canister for evap. That thread for retrofitting the fuel tank has a lot of details I put in there with pics and part numbers. Also make sure you actually have the third fuel tank strap mounting cross member already on the frame. Rammit found out he didn’t have it and now has to fabricate something. Mine actually had it so all I had to do was attach the third fuel tank strap that the 33gal tank also needs.

But main thing for calibration is range to empty and then in your case the fuel pump settings for fuel sending unit so that would be probably just checking the full and empty tank values in AlfaOBD and comparing it to like me or someone else with a 26/33 gal tank setup.

I will say coming from the 23 there are a lot more parts and cost to do it. Rammit ended up paying over $1000 in parts. I recommend getting it off a junkyard vehicle with all the parts and hoses you can. Those all add up to what Rammit ended up paying to a dealer for new parts.

Dixit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you so much for the detailed response my man!

dyelife

Reaction score
Well, I learned something new today. I had no idea the standard tank is 23 gallons. I thought 26 and 33 were the only options. Either way, hardly seems worth the effort and money IMO.
To each his own for sure, but I sure loved my 2016 500+ range lol. So I kind of miss that and to me not stopping as much with a TT is worth it. I should of got the diesel as well at the end of the day haha. We are planning to travel quite a bit but i am beyond excited. Thank you for the response!

dyelife

Reaction score
View attachment 41592
Since we continue to get the same question asked just ever so differently, I will post this one more time.

The 26 gallon is standard.

The 23 gallon is standard on 3.6 quad and certain models with etorque.

You can read to get the full understanding.

@Jared B @redriderbob have they issued a 2020 feature guide yet, I haven't been able to locate one.

For the time being we have the feature guide here for 2019 that should be mostly similar to the 2020.

Thank you for the posting, the only thread I saw was the guy who had it fabricated. Which was incredibly interesting, however I just saw it pop up as an add on; on the Mopar site which is new. So thats what I was kind of checking into.

Thank you for the details man, much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread