5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Long time Audi Owner Here

A4Owner

Reaction score
Long time Audi owner currently exploring a Ram 1500 Limited. I really don't know much about trucks at all and boy was I impressed by the size of these things. They don't look that big on the road but the interior is significantly bigger than my Audi. I'm worried about the Air Suspension's long-term reliability. The rest of the truck I can handle. Have members observed problems in the 2019 and higher models? I live in a part of Ontario that's often very damp and very cold. The sales person said FCA re-designed the air suspensions in 2019 - but the only thing I found is that the re-design pertains to auto leveling (in other words sensors and more computer stuff) and not the actual durability of the air pouches, seals or compressor. To conclude, I like the look and image of the 2020 Ram Limited in black with all the options but I worry. Is Chrysler still junk? Please let me know...

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Long time Audi owner currently exploring a Ram 1500 Limited. I really don't know much about trucks at all and boy was I impressed by the size of these things. They don't look that big on the road but the interior is significantly bigger than my Audi. I'm worried about the Air Suspension's long-term reliability. The rest of the truck I can handle. Have members observed problems in the 2019 and higher models? I live in a part of Ontario that's often very damp and very cold. The sales person said FCA re-designed the air suspensions in 2019 - but the only thing I found is that the re-design pertains to auto leveling (in other words sensors and more computer stuff) and not the actual durability of the air pouches, seals or compressor. To conclude, I like the look and image of the 2020 Ram Limited in black with all the options but I worry. Is Chrysler still junk? Please let me know...
You’ll find info in threads from maybe two years ago about the redesigned components (e.g. single, more powerful compressor), as well as old threads about air suspension concerns from the 4th-gen trucks. But of the 40K+ members here, I’m not sure whether anyone has reported cold weather issues on the 5th-gen. The question has been asked before, so you might try a search.

Incidentally, my wife drives an Audi. She prefers my truck’s interior, while I prefer her SUV’s APR-tuned performance ;)

A4Owner

Reaction score
Ok amazing thanks. Yeah this 2020 Limited is like twice the size of my car. Massive. Comfortable. But I wonder whether it will fit into an underground parking garage.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
Buy it. If you’re afraid buy a 100k bumper to bumper warranty.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok amazing thanks. Yeah this 2020 Limited is like twice the size of my car. Massive. Comfortable. But I wonder whether it will fit into an underground parking garage.
The air suspension is a big help on clearance. That said, turning radius could be a factor if your garage is tight.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I traded in my 2017 Audi with under 14K miles for my 2019 RAM Limited back in February 2019...never looked back and LOVE my RAM...especially my new one!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Most parking garages will handle a truck that does not have a lift kit on it. Check the max height of your garage and compare that to the height of the truck in NORMAL mode. I think you'll be fine, but better to measure first to be 100% sure.

Turaco

Reaction score
Living in southeast Michigan, have several friends working for the big three mainly in engineering, they all agree that trucks in US are designed as work horses and can take a lot of abuse while maintaining optimal performance. As far as reliability is concerned as compared to your Audi, unless you have a diesel, you will be in much better shape with a truck or any american made vehicle for that matter. Interior/exterior design, fit and finish, tolerances, etc. it’s a different story.

I’m new to Ram myself, and just leased a loaded Laramie 4 weeks ago coming from a limited X jeep grand cherokee. The Ram is in a different class, beautiful inside out. As another poster mentioned, if you’re worried about the air suspension, just make sure you get the extended warranty, that’s all.

fbatwork

Reaction score
There’s lots of info on problems with the air suspension in cold (actual winter)... the compressor intakes can freeze up as they are under the bed... but if you don’t live in a Northern climate and traveling lots of secondary highways you are likely fine. As both an Audi owner (currently have 3 - RS6, S2 and Coupe Quattro) and a long time Dodge / Jeep owner I’m not sure what you are referencing when saying junk... maybe the last car you were exposed to was an old K Car that was clapped out.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
I miss my C5 S6... one of like 1100 in US.
Had a stalled torque converter and custom magnaflow exhaust. I would be crap happy to have another for a daily driver when I have the house and barn done. Wagons are for winners. Except a 120k rs6, those are for wealthy people.

fbatwork

Reaction score
If I was buying a new Audi it would be an RS3 - that I would then tune and add a turbo to... my RS6 is a C5, I have owned it for 10 years and have about 85,000 miles on it, totally agree on the reliability - just got rid of the wife’s GL and went back to a Grand Cherokee... Getting anxious for my new truck to arrive - sold my 2010 a month ago thinking my 21 would get here before Xmas (longest I have been without a truck in 25 years)!

But to stay on topic - very reliable trucks - we have Rams at work that have 400,000 miles on them and they spend equal time on gravel... just regular maintenance. We have 4.7’s, 5.7’s, 5.9 and 6.7 Cummins...

Last edited:

A4Owner

Reaction score
Ok thanks Fbatwork. Totally dig the [broad] differences between the Ram and the Audi. Focus is Air suspension and I suppose getting extra warranty coverage is A solution. But the core issue I am driving towards is the thing I was told by the Salesperson who said FCA re-designed the air suspensions in 2019 (or so). Question is was the re-design intended to increased reliability in cold weather climates which impacts me. Yo SecurityGuy I was just checking out your truck. SO sick. That's EXACTLY how I would get mine.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ok thanks Fbatwork. Totally dig the [broad] differences between the Ram and the Audi. Focus is Air suspension and I suppose getting extra warranty coverage is A solution. But the core issue I am driving towards is the thing I was told by the Salesperson who said FCA re-designed the air suspensions in 2019 (or so). Question is was the re-design intended to increased reliability in cold weather climates which impacts me. Yo SecurityGuy I was just checking out your truck. SO sick. That's EXACTLY how I would get mine.
Thanks A4! I had a 2017 A4 and traded that in for my 2019 Limited. Loved that car, but was itching for another truck.

A4Owner

Reaction score
Yeah be good to know if any '19 or '20 Limited owners are experiencing issues with the AS. Me thinks too early to tell in most cases.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, the air suspension is improved for cold weather. I am in Colorado 2 winters now with the 2019 and Air Suspension. I have only been down to -20 F, not colder. The only thing I have noticed is when it is below 0 or negative temps when the air suspension heats up due to the truck heating up there is a air bleed off valve that releases excess pressure and I am also assuming forces out any condensation in the system. First time I heard it I thought there was a big rig semi next to me with the air brakes releasing.
On another note the truck seems smoother on the road when it is below 40F in Aero setting mode and above 40F in Normal height setting.

A4Owner

Reaction score
Okay cool good [actually great] to know. May-be this is what the Sales person was talking about when she said a re-design. The re-design is a more sensitive set of sensors (which in turn) maintain the integrity of the overall system and increase reliability. Hmmm....really want a truck man! They are so big, so bad.

A4Owner

Reaction score
Okay so I actually found a Limited Longhorn without the air suspension. I guess the next obvious questions are: a) is it true these had coil springs out back, thus making them (much) better driving than an F-150 or Sierra and b) but is the air suspension even better riding than that and if so how much better? Realize this is a perspective thing...

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Okay so I actually found a Limited Longhorn without the air suspension. I guess the next obvious questions are: a) is it true these had coil springs out back, thus making them (much) better driving than an F-150 or Sierra and b) but is the air suspension even better riding than that and if so how much better? Realize this is a perspective thing...
The Air Suspension is the bomb...nothing better driving than a RAM with the air set-up. On my second RAM with air and LOVE it!

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You need to go and test-drive them. My higly biased opinion (almost 40k miles on the truck) is that nothing beats the air-ride.

Users who are viewing this thread