5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Long time Audi Owner Here

A4Owner

Reaction score
Amazing. I also found a post where a guy claims to put in a few drips of Air Brake Defrosting fluid into the hose out back by the right rear taillight assembly. Still working to understand this but I believe the process is the air brake defrosting fluid's vapors rid the system of condensation, which in turn prevents freezing in the lines, which in turns alleviates the compressor from what I'm not exactly sure but I guess its excessive pumping of air through blocked hoses, and this in turn will (should prevent) the situations in which one end of the truck is slammed to the ground while the other end is way up in Off Road 2. If someone could review my thinking and let me know if this is correct...

I also am trying to understand whether these systems are fill with air or nitrogen gas?

My wild guess is Nitrogen gas and that air is the contaminant that turns to water drips under compression cycles and which in turn freezes from cold temps.

Again not sure if this is right but I in order to have ice you have to have water and water doesn't get into these systems because you drove your truck in the rain. It gets in there through repeated compression cycles correct?

A4Owner

Reaction score
One last thing is these are not closed systems so the air compressor actually sucks in AIR when it needs to right? So do you intentionally get an Air Nitrogen mix in addition to air that cause turn to water under compression..

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I am no expert on the air suspension, but I would venture to say this:

1. The tank is filled with air and not Nitrogen
2. Like all compressors, the there will be condensation created via use
3. Not sure if there a way to bleed off the condensation like on my home's air compressor for my air tools
4. I would most certainly think that outside air is drawn in, when needed, to fill the air bags

Just my thoughts and may not be 100% correct :)

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One last thing is these are not closed systems so the air compressor actually sucks in AIR when it needs to right? So do you intentionally get an Air Nitrogen mix in addition to air that cause turn to water under compression..
I’m not an expert on the system either, but FWIW every existing thread on the air suspension (including the recent “air suspension reviews” thread) contains posts by members (presumably) more knowledgeable than me stating that it’s a sealed nitrogen-filled system.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’m not an expert on the system either, but FWIW every existing thread on the air suspension (including the recent “air suspension reviews” thread) contains posts by members (presumably) more knowledgeable than me stating that it’s a sealed nitrogen-filled system.
Very interesting...would be great to know for sure.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's a sealed system filled with nitrogen... it doesn't use outside "air". That should make it far more reliable since there's no ambient moisture getting in, condensing, and freezing (which is what breaks things). I haven't seen anyone in this forum have an issue yet... and I haven't had any issues either. Having said that, up in Canada the 4th Gen air suspensions left such a bad taste in peoples mouths that many avoided air suspension altogether... who can blame them?

The only other thing I'd add is that everyone is getting in on the Air Suspension game... GM with the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade, Ford with their Lincoln SUV's, and of course Euro brands like Audi, BMW, and Land Rover. I'm guessing reliability and repair concerns are getting ironed out enough that more and more manufacturer's are comfortable offering them with minimal warranty concerns.

IMO, air suspension adds a unique level of flexibility to a truck. Need more ground clearance? Push a button. Need to squeeze into a low garage? Push a button. Towing or hauling close to the rating? The suspension self levels. Want the best ride in the full size truck market? Yup, air suspension has you covered. Is it as reliable as steel springs? No, definitely not. It really comes down to what you want and expect from a truck.

A4Owner

Reaction score
It's a sealed system filled with nitrogen... it doesn't use outside "air". That should make it far more reliable since there's no ambient moisture getting in, condensing, and freezing (which is what breaks things). I haven't seen anyone in this forum have an issue yet... and I haven't had any issues either. Having said that, up in Canada the 4th Gen air suspensions left such a bad taste in peoples mouths that many avoided air suspension altogether... who can blame them?

The only other thing I'd add is that everyone is getting in on the Air Suspension game... GM with the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade, Ford with their Lincoln SUV's, and of course Euro brands like Audi, BMW, and Land Rover. I'm guessing reliability and repair concerns are getting ironed out enough that more and more manufacturer's are comfortable offering them with minimal warranty concerns.

IMO, air suspension adds a unique level of flexibility to a truck. Need more ground clearance? Push a button. Need to squeeze into a low garage? Push a button. Towing or hauling close to the rating? The suspension self levels. Want the best ride in the full size truck market? Yup, air suspension has you covered. Is it as reliable as steel springs? No, definitely not. It really comes down to what you want and expect from a truck.
Are you sure? So what I read somewhere, might not have been here, is that the system is definitely not closed. So the explanation was that the system can actually suck in or blow out air as needed. This, supposedly, is why these things "tick" and "whistle" randomly even when just sitting there. Does that seem legit to you?

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's fully sealed, closed loop. The pump will turn on from time to time to ensure the desired ride height. This can happen simply because of changes in ambient temperature, which then change the PSI in the suspension, and PSI determines ride height. Just like the cold can "deflate" a football <cough... I'm from New England... cough> the same thing can happen in the suspension. Nitrogen is stored in small tanks which is then pumped in or out when necessary.

I'm not sure about the 4th Gen trucks, but that's the case on 5th Gen for sure.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I need the air bed length option. Need it 5'0" to fit in the garage, "push a button". Have 8' lumber/sheetrock to haul? "push a button". Is the guy behind you crowding your azz? Push the 10' extension button...

Dman2983

Reaction score
It's fully sealed, closed loop. The pump will turn on from time to time to ensure the desired ride height. This can happen simply because of changes in ambient temperature, which then change the PSI in the suspension, and PSI determines ride height. Just like the cold can "deflate" a football <cough... I'm from New England... cough> the same thing can happen in the suspension. Nitrogen is stored in small tanks which is then pumped in or out when necessary.

I'm not sure about the 4th Gen trucks, but that's the case on 5th Gen for sure.
You sound certain, but the service tech at my dealership is telling me my 2020 Ram has an open air suspension system that regularly releases and pumps in outside air. He doesn't sound very certain though. Do you have a source for your info so I can show it to him?

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You sound certain, but the service tech at my dealership is telling me my 2020 Ram has an open air suspension system that regularly releases and pumps in outside air. He doesn't sound very certain though. Do you have a source for your info so I can show it to him?
I'm certain it's sealed and filled with Nitrogen.

There's a lot of sources out there if you Google it... even FCA press releases at launch. Plus I'm sure you'll find somethin on this site too.

I'll see if I can dig something up when I have a second.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have read that a dealer or someone with the correct tool and the ability to input the correct commands can tell the Air Suspension to bring in outside air. But that's not for just any owner or as intended operation, and I presume to be more of an emergency "just to get you home" kind of situation.

My main resources online for info went away when FCA became Stellantis. Trying to find actual FCA docs rather than press articles.

Dman2983

Reaction score
I'm certain it's sealed and filled with Nitrogen.

There's a lot of sources out there if you Google it... even FCA press releases at launch. Plus I'm sure you'll find somethin on this site too.

I'll see if I can dig something up when I have a second.
Ok that would be greatly appreciated. From everything I've read, I just know the service tech is wrong. He's telling me everything is working as designed. So they won't take a look at it under warranty. I just can't find any hard evidence that it is in fact a closed system. So if you find something, please let me know. Thanks again

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok that would be greatly appreciated. From everything I've read, I just know the service tech is wrong. He's telling me everything is working as designed. So they won't take a look at it under warranty. I just can't find any hard evidence that it is in fact a closed system. So if you find something, please let me know. Thanks again
What's going on with your Air Suspension? In my experience, dealerships differ greatly on the level's of service they provide... maybe take it to another dealer to get a second opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread