5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Locating 12 volts.

DeanK

Reaction score
Does anybody have insight/info/details about locating/tappingInto 12volts (of decent amps) in any of these 3 locations?... 1) behind rear seats area, by cab wall, eg. for AirBag pump. 2) Console's BACK area, by existing outlets there, for back seat folks to reach/use. 3) in back Bed area, by tailgate, eg. for my utility stuff. And it would be safe-wise in know where the corresponding existing 'Fuse' is for each of these Taps. TIA

FM45

Reaction score
I added 12 volts in the bed area... Pics with a pdf write-up
Hope it helps ya--

-=FM45=-

smoke8r

Reaction score
I tapped into the plug on top of the dash and ran a line to the back of the center console on my older ram. Added 2 USB and 2 power outlets for the rear passengers to use. Worked out very well

yaksushi

Reaction score
I tapped into the plug on top of the dash and ran a line to the back of the center console on my older ram. Added 2 USB and 2 power outlets for the rear passengers to use. Worked out very well
Did you buy the oem module that goes in the back of the center console? Pics of install?

smoke8r

Reaction score
Did you buy the oem module that goes in the back of the center console? Pics of install?

Sorry no pics but the install was easy.
Removed the upper radio console and wire tapped into the lines going to the existing 12 volt power outlet. There are 2 screws under the rubber at the t of the console, it then just pulls straight out.
Run wire from there through the lower center console to the back where the plugs will be.
If I remember correctly, The back of the console has 2 screws at the top and then just pulled straight towards the back of the truck.

Purchased from amazon the plugs and USB plugs, link below (hope it works)

This is the USB version, but the plug is the same shape.

Drilled a couple of holes the same size as the plug, threaded it in, secured it with the nut, attached the wires and button it up. Took an hour or so and about 3 rum. Well maybe 4.

Users who are viewing this thread