5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LIVE: Watch The Unveiling Of The Ram 1500 Revolution BEV Concept From CES 2023

byebyebowtie

Reaction score
i dont know why people still think every truck is going to tow something therefore must have equivalent diesel towing capabilities. That is 1% or less of the truck owner population. Move on, the rest of us want something for our actual daily use. 500 miles of electric range is awesome for the 99% of us truck owners.
this is actually a perfect representation of where the "truck" market is and where its heading. There are some stupid percentages of truck owners that haul 1 or less times a year and even less that tow 1 or less times per year. the VASTTTTT majority of current half ton owners buy these trucks as glorified SUVs that carry hockey bags and groceries at most. That being said, I am not one of those owners, but i am also not on the other end of that spectrum where i tow or have a bed full of construction materials every day. I love the idea of these electric trucks for my commute to work but I certainly cannot be planning a charging stop on the way up to the cabin (only 200 miles away) every time i take the quad up there.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
this is actually a perfect representation of where the "truck" market is and where its heading. There are some stupid percentages of truck owners that haul 1 or less times a year and even less that tow 1 or less times per year. the VASTTTTT majority of current half ton owners buy these trucks as glorified SUVs that carry hockey bags and groceries at most. That being said, I am not one of those owners, but i am also not on the other end of that spectrum where i tow or have a bed full of construction materials every day. I love the idea of these electric trucks for my commute to work but I certainly cannot be planning a charging stop on the way up to the cabin (only 200 miles away) every time i take the quad up there.
I tend to agree.

90% of the time, I'm just running errands (gym, grocery, etc.) in town and parking in my garage 20+ hours per day. Any EV can do that.

A couple of times per year, we do a round-trip run from Texas to our cabin in Michigan (1,200 miles each way). I have pulled an enclosed trailer on that route. I typically stop for fuel twice when I'm not towing and three to four times when towing. No (current) EV could handle that route without longer and more frequent stops. So I'd have to plan differently for those biannual cross country trips, as well as other infrequent "day trips" (200-500 miles) around Texas.

I might be willing to make that compromise for the right vehicle, especially if it was flawless for that 90% use case. But my current Ram is really, really good for my needs, so the bar has been set pretty high.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Does this count as hauling?
Probably the only good use case for an EV with a load in the back.
Equipment in the bed alone is more expensive then my Limited, but way cheaper then the Ram EV will be :LOL:

Part of having a truck is "yes I can do that" vs "I have no idea, maybe I can?"
I could of gotten a very large SUV, but as soon as I need to bring equipment that is too tall, or awkwardly shaped to fit in back, or ruin the inside I would be sorry. With a pickup that can haul\move almost anyone I don't need to worry about it.

20221115_102236.jpg

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s important to note also that it doesn’t really have anything to do with the amount of times you’re towing or hauling but what it is and the weight. My truck is usually a street truck that does carry groceries and a hockey bag a few times a week but a couple times a year I will have to load up the trailer & bed with lots of wood, or sometimes tow a very large camper.

There’s a niche for every lifestyle truck in the market.

Users who are viewing this thread